Colorado’s Slant-Style Ponderosa Pine

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Turns out I didn’t do a very good job of repotting this tree. It has leaned a bit in the pot and it no longer stands on its own - it tips over so I have to anchor it with a block.

I am going to make a new pot for it over the winter.

What do you all think would be a good shape for this pot? It’s going to be a reddish-brown unglazed clay.

I thought about a drum-style round might look pretty good. Also thought about a slightly deeper rectangle than the one earlier in the thread. A hexagon also crossed my mind.

Whatever shape it is, it’ll need to be a little big bigger and deeper than the current round, I think.

Would love any suggestions!

A2777833-481C-4D41-A9B0-FB0055DA14B2.jpeg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Turns out I didn’t do a very good job of repotting this tree. It has leaned a bit in the pot and it no longer stands on its own - it tips over so I have to anchor it with a block.

I am going to make a new pot for it over the winter.

What do you all think would be a good shape for this pot? It’s going to be a reddish-brown unglazed clay.

I thought about a drum-style round might look pretty good. Also thought about a slightly deeper rectangle than the one earlier in the thread. A hexagon also crossed my mind.

Whatever shape it is, it’ll need to be a little big bigger and deeper than the current round, I think.

Would love any suggestions!

View attachment 518246
I like it aloot

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with @Ruddigger The pot you have it in "fits" as far as style, but it's too small, particularly not wide enough, which is one reason it's toppling over. Go four inches wider (two inches on either side of the tree). Three at a minimum. The increase in width will not only help the tree esthetically, but it will also help stabilize the tree physically. Top heavy trees act like levers on the pot below--the taller the tree with a lot of weight (foliage) increases the effect. If they're wired in, they will pull pots over pretty easily.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with @Ruddigger The pot you have it in "fits" as far as style, but it's too small, particularly not wide enough, which is one reason it's toppling over. Go four inches wider (two inches on either side of the tree). Three at a minimum. The increase in width will not only help the tree esthetically, but it will also help stabilize the tree physically. Top heavy trees act like levers on the pot below--the taller the tree with a lot of weight (foliage) increases the effect. If they're wired in, they will pull pots over pretty easily.

Thanks, Rock!

I bought the pot at a club meeting specifically for this tree because I liked the style. Even once I got home I held the pot next to the tree and thought for sure it would be big enough. But when repotting time came, I realized that I misjudged and by then it was too late and I didn’t have any bigger pots on hand! Rookie mistake 🤣

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Awesome tree!

I'm thinking a nice little unassuming drum pot would look pretty cool too. I used one with a flatter base for a larger bunjin and it was super stable.

Keep the updates coming please!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally would suggest thinning upper branches revealing structure/reducing upper mass weight. Also opening up negative space around dropping branch to accent interesting branch movement. All in all this lightens upper tree😌.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think an oval pot would fit with the trunk movement and give you more width and stability

Top Bottom