Colorado’s Slant-Style Ponderosa Pine

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ponderosa Pine. Collected by my buddy Dave near Colorado Springs, Colorado in approximately 2018. Yamaaki container.

I acquired the tree in spring 2021:
32C52C74-4FFE-47C0-8D8A-2B8072040778.jpeg

F37B176A-821F-48DC-968E-127C470FAFF8.jpeg

In fall 2021 I repositioned a couple of branches and began exploring for a new front and planting angle to show off the best attributes of the tree, i.e - the movement and shari

E3084DE2-503A-4444-A84A-941A0D0093C9.jpeg

However, in Spring 2022 when it came time to repot, there was not really a feasible way to achieve this planting angle with any of the containers I had available. Back to the drawing board! It ended up fitting perfectly into this Yamaaki, with a definite slant.

EFB62CB1-6B15-454A-88D3-C91EB10B1D49.jpeg

Now it is August 2022. I jinned the dropping branch which I felt was creating too much instability in the design.

B3CB3E08-911D-4E4B-A0F6-595D19218675.jpeg

Now I feel the design gives a sense of the tree being in the brink of falling over, but hanging on for dear life. It makes me feel uncomfortable in a way that I find very interesting! Next year I will be able to refine the foliage to a much greater degree.

Cheers!

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very cool and I love the slight “uncomfortable” slant as well. Ponderosa Pines are so awesome. I actually just moved from Colorado myself. The bark on these are fabulous and when they are in the yellowbelly stage I love that it smells like butterscotch.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very cool and I love the slight “uncomfortable” slant as well. Ponderosa Pines are so awesome. I actually just moved from Colorado myself. The bark on these are fabulous and when they are in the yellowbelly stage I love that it smells like butterscotch.
Thanks! I love the smell also! And the bark is pretty tough to beat.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This tree got ripped out of its pot by a heavy snow load this winter, which broke the tie down wire. Consequently I had to repot it this spring. Used the opportunity to change the planting angle and overall design of the tree.

7016BD4B-11AC-433B-820C-B05A10623AC7.jpeg

The foliage needs to be adjusted a bit with wire. I’ll let the tree settle into the pot a bit and then address the foliage this summer.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This tree got ripped out of its pot by a heavy snow load this winter, which broke the tie down wire. Consequently I had to repot it this spring. Used the opportunity to change the planting angle and overall design of the tree.
I think Mother Nature did you a favor with the snowstorm. It might be the 2D of the photos, but I much prefer the round pot and trunk movement from this angle. In the rectangle pot pic, the straight lines of the trunk are emphasized by the pot sides. But it is a great tree, I’m sure it looks outstanding in person!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think Mother Nature did you a favor with the snowstorm. It might be the 2D of the photos, but I much prefer the round pot and trunk movement from this angle. In the rectangle pot pic, the straight lines of the trunk are emphasized by the pot sides. But it is a great tree, I’m sure it looks outstanding in person!

Thanks, Hemmy! I totally agree!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Yeah, this side looks better. Nice work with this. I have a pondo that I thought was too tall. Now I’m reconsidering. I like the elegance of your tree.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

View attachment 483151

The foliage needs to be adjusted a bit with wire. I’ll let the tree settle into the pot a bit and then address the foliage this summer.
Love the front on this one ,, and that branch that goes down. A lot to play around with

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, this side looks better. Nice work with this. I have a pondo that I thought was too tall. Now I’m reconsidering. I like the elegance of your tree.

Thank you! I think you have to go pretty large with ponderosa because of the needle size. 😁

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's an excellent evolution of the tree! The trunk's movement is accentuated and a larger mound topography at repot increases stability for the asymmetrical push. Needle size reduction over time should further accentuate the structure of the apex and defining branch! Very well done.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's an excellent evolution of the tree! The trunk's movement is accentuated and a larger mound topography at repot increases stability for the asymmetrical push. Needle size reduction over time should further accentuate the structure of the apex and defining branch! Very well done.

Thanks so much for the detailed feedback! I am definitely looking forward to needle reduction and increased ramification!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As already stated, great improvement in the image with regard to trunk movement and pot shape, although the pot seems a tad narrow for the volume of foliage.

Have you considered or is it possible to bring the first left branch down a bit?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As already stated, great improvement in the image with regard to trunk movement and pot shape, although the pot seems a tad narrow for the volume of foliage.

Have you considered or is it possible to bring the first left branch down a bit?

Thanks! I agree the pot is a little small…if I would have had a slightly larger one, I would have used it!

The pot is by a local potter, initials KB. I can’t remember her name but I will find out from Larry Jackel, who I purchased the pot from a couple weeks ago at a RMBS club meeting.

Yes I can definitely adjust that upper left branch. It just needs the current wire removed and new wire applied. I will do that later this summer, as I hate to wrench too much on a newly repotted tree.

Top Bottom