Colorado Blue Spruce #1

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This tree, collected by Todd Schlafer, was the first tree I acquired, at the NBE in Rochester last year, after committing to the move to MI. CBS are uber cold hardy and wouldn't require any babying in southern MI, so it made sense to me... plus the trunk was fantastic and the price was decent. Anyway, it got stuffed into @Adair M 's Tesla and made the temporary move to GA last September before finally moving North in November. It was pulled out of the frozen cold frame to thaw before getting worked on with my friend and teacher, Tyler Sherrod. Here's the before shot and a few close ups of the work done.

IMG_6469 (1).JPGIMG_6849.jpgIMG_6847.jpgIMG_6848.jpg272656379_261314316129241_7920151492904838689_n.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6839.jpg
    IMG_6839.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6840.jpg
    IMG_6840.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6841.jpg
    IMG_6841.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6842.jpg
    IMG_6842.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6843.jpg
    IMG_6843.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 44

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Today saw this one re-potted. I was a bit surprised at the amount of clay/field soil present, but the root ball had loads of roots so I was fairly aggressive cleaning it out. I also started to chase back the larger roots, and will eventually cut them all back very close to the trunk and completely remove the particularly large root growing down below the main trunk. It found it's way into a nice Yamaaki rectangle. I used a fair amount of coarse substrate as I'm wanting lots of root growth between now and the next re-pot in 3 years or so.
IMG_6839.jpgIMG_6840.jpgIMG_6841.jpgIMG_6842.jpgIMG_6843.jpgIMG_6844.jpgIMG_6845.jpgIMG_6846.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like a fun project with a nice start

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
how is this tree doing now? Where S.E. Michigan do you live?
So far, so good. It's been hot and relatively dry here on the western side of metro Detroit so far this year this late spring/early summer but these trees obviously like it a bit hot and dry. It took a bit longer to push new growth compared to the other yamadori spruce repotted at the same time- likely do to a more aggressive root reduction- but has grown well in spots while other branches haven't pushed but have developed fat, green buds which I suspect will pop strongly next year. I'll post a current picture soon.

Reaction score
thats good news. im in wyandotte, so eastern side of southeastern Michigan. always looking for people wanting to work on trees and talk trees if you would like. but glad to hear tree is doing well.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very cool tree. I have one that was collected by Andy Smith and have enjoyed working with it for the last few years. Hard to beat the bark on these.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thats going to be very nice in the future, once fully styled. Great potential

Reaction score
Looks great, Honestly my CBS I have did not really start pushing tons of growth until like last 2 to 3 weeks. it was a weird spring. I like your tree a lot looks good. What other kinds of trees do you have?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks great, Honestly my CBS I have did not really start pushing tons of growth until like last 2 to 3 weeks. it was a weird spring. I like your tree a lot looks good. What other kinds of trees do you have?
All kinds/ too many to list! Feel free to check out some of my threads as I've probably started a progression on them or shown them in some of my "project" threads

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Great looking tree Dave and I sure like what you've done with it. I have a question...it looks like you did a little branch pruning and wiring in April of 22. Then you wacked the roots pretty severely at the same time with a repot. I have always read only one insult per year is recommended. You certainly got away with it judging by how the tree looks. Are the CBS that tough or am I missing something?

Top Bottom