Colorado Blue Spruce #1

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Great looking tree Dave and I sure like what you've done with it. I have a question...it looks like you did a little branch pruning and wiring in April of 22. Then you wacked the roots pretty severely at the same time with a repot. I have always read only one insult per year is recommended. You certainly got away with it judging by how the tree looks. Are the CBS that tough or am I missing something?
The tree was actually styled/cut back/wired out back in January, then kept in my cold room to keep above freezing. The re-pot was in April... technically the same season. Here's the thing about that one insult per season mantra... it's a "rule" that can be bent/broken by someone with experience AND only with a healthy tree, and that's not species specific.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This tree was fed and watered heavily last summer and fall, and I did some minor wiring and cut backs. It responded with loads of back budding and a vigorous spring push. Rinse and repeat this year, though I'm beginning to reposition some of the branching somewhat to continue it's development over the next few years. I cleaned up more of the natural deadwood as well. I'll post some beauty shots from the photo studio soon.
IMG_8047.jpg

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This tree was fed and watered heavily last summer and fall, and I did some minor wiring and cut backs. It responded with loads of back budding and a vigorous spring push. Rinse and repeat this year, though I'm beginning to reposition some of the branching somewhat to continue it's development over the next few years. I cleaned up more of the natural deadwood as well. I'll post some beauty shots from the photo studio soon.
View attachment 493026
Very nice! You collect that?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
No. It was collected by Todd Schlafer in CO.
I get a little confused when wild collected/yamadori Colorado Blue spruce are mentioned. For some reason I have always thought that CBS were only nursery grown and not actually wild trees in forests in the USA and maybe elsewhere. I really like yamadori spruce and have Englemann's here in NE Oregon. How far away from me are the wild collected CBS if I can ask or who has them for sale? Thanks.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I get a little confused when wild collected/yamadori Colorado Blue spruce are mentioned. For some reason I have always thought that CBS were only nursery grown and not actually wild trees in forests in the USA and maybe elsewhere. I really like yamadori spruce and have Englemann's here in NE Oregon. How far away from me are the wild collected CBS if I can ask or who has them for sale? Thanks.
I purchased these from him at the last NBE in 2021 in Rochester. This is his website if nyou'd like to contac t him. https://www.firstbranchbonsai.com/
This is a map of the CBS native range...
1686418847234.png
They're widely used in landscaping and can be found for sale in nurseries all over the country... they were planted in my neighborhood in N GA (weren't that vigorous down there for sure)

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I purchased these from him at the last NBE in 2021 in Rochester. This is his website if nyou'd like to contac t him. https://www.firstbranchbonsai.com/
This is a map of the CBS native range...
View attachment 493133
They're widely used in landscaping and can be found for sale in nurseries all over the country... they were planted in my neighborhood in N GA (weren't that vigorous down there for sure)
Thanks Dav4. We have CBS in nurseries around here also but they are all grafted and I have no idea what the top or bottom even is. I'll get in touch with Todd and talk to him. Love to collect one for sure.

Top Bottom