Colorado Blue Spruce # 2

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Here is the other Colorado Blue Spruce that I scooped up from Todd Schlafer at the Nationals last September. This one was actually too tall to fit into @Adair M 's Tesla, so it road back to GA in a vendor's trailor who was also transporting exhibition trees. It was worked on by Tyler and me in late January of this year. With the heavy bending that we did, it wasn't allowed to freeze again this winter and stayed in the relative warmth of my workshop/cold room.

272131838_3025551527657020_4914913714300812608_n.jpgIMG_6859.jpgIMG_6862.jpgIMG_6863.jpgIMG_6864.jpgIMG_6865.jpg

Today was re-pot day. Lot's of fine feeder roots hidden in the duff... you could grow some great tomatoes in that duff!

IMG_6866.jpgIMG_6867.jpgIMG_6868.jpgIMG_6869.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not normally a fan of blue spruce as bonsai because I seldom see anything decent. Your spruce looks good and should have a bright future.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was surprised that the soil composition was so different in this rootball when compared to that of the CBP that was re-potted yesterday... hardly any clay at all. One similarity was the multitude of heavy roots that needed cutting back.

IMG_6870.jpg

Sometimes when you're working by yourself, you've got to think outside the box

IMG_6871.jpgIMG_6872.jpgIMG_6873.jpgIMG_6874.jpgIMG_6875.jpg

Basking in the scorching mid April Michigan sun after getting watered in on the driveway... ;)

IMG_6876.jpg

One dropped branch added to make the composition legit...

IMG_6878.jpg
IMG_6878.jpg

Finally, lots of milled sphagnum moss to keep those superficial baby roots from drying out.

IMG_6879.jpg

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How long does it take for the black char to disappear on the deadwood? Or is the char coloring desired?

I’ve never used fire on deadwood but maybe I’m missing out?!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love CBS, they back bud so nicely too.. what’s your watering / feeding regiment ?
You can see the coarse aggregate soil it's potted up in so it needs to be watered daily during the summer. It's got plantone in the tea bags and fish emulsion watered in weekly... pretty much what I'm doing with all my trees.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How long does it take for the black char to disappear on the deadwood? Or is the char coloring desired?

I’ve never used fire on deadwood but maybe I’m missing out?!
I use the micro torch on newly carved/fresh conifer deadwood because it -1) burns away tool marks woody remnants from the work, -2) it brings out the grain by burning away softer wood fibers while the harder fibers persist and makes the carved deadwood more natural and aged, -3) the char/heating process apparently helps to preseve the wood from rotting. Fwiw, that picture was taken before I worked it with a wire brush. Here's the "after" pic.
IMG_7301.jpg
The char can take more then a year to lighten up, but I think it's a good technique to use in the right situation.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I use the micro torch on newly carved/fresh conifer deadwood because it -1) burns away tool marks woody remnants from the work, -2) it brings out the grain by burning away softer wood fibers while the harder fibers persist and makes the carved deadwood more natural and aged, -3) the char/heating process apparently helps to preseve the wood from rotting. Fwiw, that picture was taken before I worked it with a wire brush. Here's the "after" pic.
View attachment 447012
The char can take more then a year to lighten up, but I think it's a good technique to use in the right situation.

Thanks for the explanation! Looks great! I’ll have to give it a try. I think my wife has a crème brûlée torch 🤠

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This one is growing nicely since being re-potted 14 months ago. Lots of back budding and vigorous growth this year. It's had some cut backs and tweaks to the wiring over the last year, and that will continue over the next few seasons.
IMG_8048.jpg

Top Bottom