Colorado Blue Spruce Windswept Raft

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I did more wiring. There’s a few twigs here and there that I could put more wire on, but this is it for now:

View attachment 280901

That front crossing branch is an issue. I can’t decide if I should train it to be high, or low. On the one hand, I’d like to get rid of it entirely, but then the left side of the raft is pointless. Jin it? Maybe.

This is the first true windswept I’ve ever attempted. At least that I remember. I may have tried one 45 years ago!
I like the idea of the left branch being jinned. That being said I'm sure whichever way you approach the design of this tree it will be a lovely result. Your work is beautiful and really appeals.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
when the trunk is pretty much pressed to the ground you have the very high elevation version of windswept, that goes by the name Krummholz. This is the ground hugging timberline form that trees take. Yes, elk help. But heavy snow and fierce winds also do the rest.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sure, sure. He are some actual windswept trees that show what I was thinking.

View attachment 280971
View attachment 280972
View attachment 280973
View attachment 280974
That third one is my profile pic. It's a Pinus strobus that grows in Killbear Provincial Park along the shore of the Georgian Bay in Ontario. That whole shoreline for hundreds of miles is full of dramatically windswept white and jack pines, most growing in very little soil in cracks in the Canadian shield: many are natural bonsai.

Last edited:
Top Bottom