Colorado Blue Spruce

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Baloney. The differences between good bonsai and never gonna be are subtle and many trees do not have the architecture to make into a shape that is either graceful, or rugged, or dramatic, and knowing the difference is what separates the men from the boys. Chopping is often the answer in such cases, but that takes skill to guide them to something, eventually, and many people drop the ball 5 minutes after they make the chop.

The answer is the same as it is for any other endeavor: education and practice. Education where you can rub shoulders with people who know more than you, and practice means volume. You learn by doing and learn better and deeper by doing more. Professional basketball players shoot hoops and practice moving with the ball everyday and that's why they can make moves and shots at lightning speeds in games: repetition builds muscle memory that doesn't involve thinking, "...now I take a short step right, and a long step left...". We don't need speed, we need decision making that leads us to be able to look at a hundred trees and see the one that has the most redeeming features. You don't get there without wiring a bunch of almost trees that just don't have the wood. Volume to practice on is a winner for greenies. Reading books is good at the beginning, just like reading books in college leads to a degree. The degree will get you in the door, but then you have to preform, delivering the goods in short order.
I get it. Unfortunately I picked this up at a tough time where many events have been cancelled. Still have yet to find someone local to learn from. I have someone on FB that I chat with but I haven't been in person to learn anything yet. I'm a very hands on learner do I'm looking forward to when things return to something resembling normal.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I get it. Unfortunately I picked this up at a tough time where many events have been cancelled. Still have yet to find someone local to learn from. I have someone on FB that I chat with but I haven't been in person to learn anything yet. I'm a very hands on learner do I'm looking forward to when things return to something resembling normal.
In my location I am a bonsai island. Nobody within 3 hrs has a club I’m aware of, let alone classes
or supplies. Then those that are that close, I dare say have no “masters”.
I started by picking up “malsai” and roadside pieces.
Have read terribly limited number of books yet I have few losses.
I’ve had one bonsai now at least 22 yrs. It should look better yes in that amount of time
but it’s not leggy, and is healthy. I’m just trying to say you can develop stock in a way that
either you don’t need the hands on or when you get there to hands on coaching
you can bring healthy stock that has potential, because you’ve gained experience
and kept good foliage, refined it somewhat, and developed the root system from early material.
For example, the JWP in my avatar I’ve had 15 years now and I am not confident with it, but when
I get it to an ACCLAIMED teacher, a master in my eyes because I’ve seen their years of fruits
one I trust, then I will gain confidence after multiple sessions at different times of the year.
Be reluctant to allow somebody at a club to style your tree unless it is expendable practice.
Many make great claims without backing it up.

I can honestly say I have too many projects going to give the deserved attention to most,
while I am working. For me that number started back around 20 pieces, now around 30.
Yes it’s a balancing act, but unless you have multiples it dampens your cause and effect
learning with your own hands on experience. I’m in this thread to learn about Colorado blue spruce
and whether I should take on the endeavour. Much to be learned from others that have experience.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
PA is big state. Start your own club. There are lots of Penns here, put your city in your location and add a signature line in bold SEEKING LOCAL YOKELS TO FORM BONSAI CLUB IN COAL COUNTY AREA. You only need a couple people to have a club that rotates meeting between your homes once a month or so. Even if you don't meet in this pandemic, that just gives you more time pick up joiners and work out the details.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
In my location I am a bonsai island. Nobody within 3 hrs has a club I’m aware of, let alone classes
or supplies. Then those that are that close, I dare say have no “masters”.
I started by picking up “malsai” and roadside pieces.
Have read terribly limited number of books yet I have few losses.
I’ve had one bonsai now at least 22 yrs. It should look better yes in that amount of time
but it’s not leggy, and is healthy. I’m just trying to say you can develop stock in a way that
either you don’t need the hands on or when you get there to hands on coaching
you can bring healthy stock that has potential, because you’ve gained experience
and kept good foliage, refined it somewhat, and developed the root system from early material.
For example, the JWP in my avatar I’ve had 15 years now and I am not confident with it, but when
I get it to an ACCLAIMED teacher, a master in my eyes because I’ve seen their years of fruits
one I trust, then I will gain confidence after multiple sessions at different times of the year.
Be reluctant to allow somebody at a club to style your tree unless it is expendable practice.
Many make great claims without backing it up.

I can honestly say I have too many projects going to give the deserved attention to most,
while I am working. For me that number started back around 20 pieces, now around 30.
Yes it’s a balancing act, but unless you have multiples it dampens your cause and effect
learning with your own hands on experience. I’m in this thread to learn about Colorado blue spruce
and whether I should take on the endeavour. Much to be learned from others that have experience.
I understand what you are saying.. I don't plan on letting anyone style my trees. If they risk death the do it at my hands 🤣😁 I'm just looking for someone to bounce ideas off of in person. The JM that was the first tree I really started to play with had a tendency to just pop off branches of snap. I should have given it a season after I got it to get healthy but I rushed. That has made me timid about breaking branches and what can be done. That's the main reason I am wanting to either see some people work up close or have a tree in front of me and pick someone's brain.

Now if it was someone I trusted and we were going to try and notch and bend a trunk then I would defer, otherwise I want to learn by doing. Only way I will get more confident.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
PA is big state. Start your own club. There are lots of Penns here, put your city in your location and add a signature line in bold SEEKING LOCAL YOKELS TO FORM BONSAI CLUB IN COAL COUNTY AREA. You only need a couple people to have a club that rotates meeting between your homes once a month or so. Even if you don't meet in this pandemic, that just gives you more time pick up joiners and work out the details.
There are some here. I just don't think they have met much, I also need to confirm the distance. Not sure I want to drive more then 60-90 min each way depending on what resources I have access too.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thank you again. I will hold off on pruning any more and wait still spring to get it out of the pot bound nursery pot.

I'll likely build a wooden box to put it in. Is pressure treated lumber ok or do I need to go with normal lumber. Not sure about the chemicals in pressure treated.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you again. I will hold off on pruning any more and wait still spring to get it out of the pot bound nursery pot.

I'll likely build a wooden box to put it in. Is pressure treated lumber ok or do I need to go with normal lumber. Not sure about the chemicals in pressure treated.
i live in western north carolina and I do Japanese maples as my focus , if you are interested in talking I can try and answer any questions you may have

Top Bottom