Colorado Blue Spruce

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Do you reccomend any certain sized pots for the first repot? And what mix would you use on this tree?
I would try to get at least half of the current depth of roots removed and probably use the mix @Colorado recommended: akadama/lava/pumice 2:1:1, or even 3:1:1. Ultimately, you'll have to see what works best in your climate.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would try to get at least half of the current depth of roots removed and probably use the mix @Colorado recommended: akadama/lava/pumice 2:1:1, or even 3:1:1. Ultimately, you'll have to see what works best in your climate.
I read that you should have fir bark in CBS soil. Can you think of any good premixed soils that dont cost an arm and a leg?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Potting mix for spruce.

They will grow in a wide array of potting media. Use the same mix you are currently using for your pines. You could use the same mix you are using for your deciduous, just add a little pumice or lava to make it slightly less water retentive. It is best to settle on one or two mixes and use them for a wide group of your own trees. The mix you are familiar with and know how to water is superior to the mix that is new and exotic to you. Worst case scenario is that every tree is in its own unique mix. Then you never know when to water your trees.

The perfect mix? The "gold standard" if you can get the materials easily: equal parts - Akadama, pumice & lava.
If you can't get good quality Akadama,
50% pumice, 20% fir bark, 30% lava.

There are thousands of other variations, some people use pumice, perlite, lava, diatomaceous earth, calcined clays like Turface, expanded shale like Hydite, Zeolite, Kanuma, coconut husk chips, horticultural grade charcoal, biochar, rubber tire chips, crushed granite - poultry grit, crushed quartzite - poultry grit, certain grades of sandblasting aggregates such as crushed garnets or crushed sapphire, decomposed granite, douglas fir bark, radiata pine bark, southern yellow pine bark, long fiber sphagnum moss, shredded redwood bark, shredded bald cypress bark (note shredded barks have issues with long shreds of the particle - difficult to work with. Some people actually use Canadian peat or potting soil, some use coir. There are many grades of sand and gravel people have used.

Universally, almost everyone agrees that pumice is a universally useful component of a potting media. If you can get it.

So rather than ask what mix to use, tell us what ingredients you have on hand that are easy for you to obtain.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
anyone have a reputable supplier of pumice, lava rock, and fir bark from ebay or amazon?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
anyone have a reputable supplier of pumice, lava rock, and fir bark from ebay or amazon?
Be very careful repotting. The one I worked heavily last year seemed fine, so I decided to repot it about a month ago. It now is just sitting there on the bench sulking—no buds popping, no movement. Last year this time it was awash with new blue-green foliage. I don’t think I killed it but I surely set it back a bit. Hopefully the buds will go ahead and break in May, Got my fingers crossed.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Be very careful repotting. The one I worked heavily last year seemed fine, so I decided to repot it about a month ago. It now is just sitting there on the bench sulking—no buds popping, no movement. Last year this time it was awash with new blue-green foliage. I don’t think I killed it but I surely set it back a bit. Hopefully the buds will go ahead and break in May, Got my fingers crossed.
My buds havent broken either. No signs of life over here

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My buds havent broken either. No signs of life over here
Yes, but i my neckmof the woods all the blie spruce are i full bud right now a d my Norway spruces are covered in little green popped buds. All I see on the CBS is little yellow nubs. Here is what it looked like last year this time:

D59A770E-F14F-47B9-B71E-C78B4EE2C139.jpegD59A770E-F14F-47B9-B71E-C78B4EE2C139.jpeg

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes, but i my neckmof the woods all the blie spruce are i full bud right now a d my Norway spruces are covered in little green popped buds. All I see on the CBS is little yellow nubs. Here is what it looked like last year this time:

View attachment 298242View attachment 298242
what is your mix consisted of? Nice tree!

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Base mix is equal amounts pumice and haydite, then I add about 30% composted pine bark. This provides great drainage, lots of aeration, and nutrient and water retention. Last year I did an HBR and then did the other half this spring. Hopefully not too much work year on year.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is best if all particles in your potting mix are in a narrow range of size. A common general purpose size media for larger shohin through 3 foot tall trees is 1/8th inch to 1/4 inch. Anything that goes through the 1/8th sieve is discarded. Anything that stays on top of the 1/4 inch sieve is discarded. This uniform particle size mix will hold more water and more air than a mix with a wider range of sizes. The specific size is not critical. If you make your own home made sieve, window screen is about 3/32nd inch, a little finer than 1/8th inch. And hardware cloth is 1/4 inch mesh. This home made sieve will work well.

For growing out younger trees, and larger trees, from 2 feet tall and up 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch is a good size range. Again, you can grow larger bonsai in a finer mix, if you can't source a more coarse pumice. Key is to sieve to uniform particle size.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Could I do a repot in fall? Or is it now or next spring?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could I do a repot in fall? Or is it now or next spring?

Fall 2021. By that I mean the first second or third Full Moon after the Summer Solstice.

You don't always have to use an insult.

Sorce

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Fall 2021. By that I mean the first second or third Full Moon after the Summer Solstice.

You don't always have to use an insult.

Sorce
Alright. Im just so eager to repot it and see how horrid the root system is! Could it be very detrimental if I don't repot it now? I dont know if i can get soil atm. I do want whats best for the tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could it be very detrimental if I don't

Nah, like Leo said, they're not too picky about soil.

Detrimental if ya do! Especially in any spring while the top grows. Wait for it to be done, then it can focus on roots.

The root system will be horrid, 4 out of 5 times I feel like chucking the whole plant.
Which makes me hack a lot off, which leaves me with 1 out of 5 trees I'm happy with, rather than 5 with horrid roots!

To get all the BS off....you have to have a top that is out of "design" and messy. Vigorous.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Alright. Im just so eager to repot it and see how horrid the root system is! Could it be very detrimental if I don't repot it now? I dont know if i can get soil atm. I do want whats best for the tree.

This question was answered thoroughly by several people in page 2 of this thread. You cut a fair amount off in March of 2020. If you want a guarantee that it will live, do not repot until 2021. If you repot before 2021, the chances of survival will be lower. Might not drop to zero, but will definitely be less than 100%, probably closer to 25%. Might live, more likely might die. Death won't happen immediately, most often will just fail to grow in spring of 2021 because of being repotted in 2020 on top of being pruned in 2020.

But sometimes a tree will do something you don't expect. So I can not say definitively that it will live or it will die.

So, re-read page 2 of this post.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you wait until 2021 to repot you have plenty of time to source good substrate for repotting. You should be able to find pumice, and even Akadama before then. Start looking now. You should always have 2 years supply of potting media on hand.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Your right. I will wait for the repotting. Please answer this question though. Would it compromise the trees life if I wired it this year?

Top Bottom