Colorado Blus Spruce as bonsai

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Has anyone here had experience with growing and maintaining Colorado blue spruce as bonsai? I live in Nebraska so my growing conditions would seem appropriate. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank You!

Dave V.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have one that is from Lowes nursery stock. I've had it for a few years. I have a short thread about it here.
http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?6746-C.B.spruce
The only problem I have encountered with this tree was letting it get too dry when it was hot once, but it did bounce back fairly well, and seems to throw buds prolifically. They also seem limber enough to wire easily, I did some shaping this year, so I'll see how well it holds. I took a pic yesterday with the ice all over it from the storm that passed thru the other day, the picture isn't that good, but in person, this is the way they look best. I still have a long way to go with this tree...

Attachments

• IMG_1721.jpg
    IMG_1721.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 208

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Technically I only have killing experience with spruces. I have heard they need extra care when wired such as misting and post wire shade and rest. The japanese apparently mist them as they work them. I understand that the trees are more sensitive to loosing lots of greenery and recover slowly and also appreciate having a reasonable head on them. Personally I found they are sensitive to high PH /minerally water and go into PH imbalace then decline and expire without adjustment--I think this was the basis of my problems but who knows(I have PH 7.9 water with minerals). I also found that they like afternoon semishade.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have had the Blue Spruce since 1982 when it was dug out of an old Christmas tree farm. I have never had a lick of trouble with it. They are difficult to wire because the foliage is so uncomfortable to handle, sharp and stiff to the hands. There is a tendency to be unruly in that you may have to wire the same branches over and over for years before they hold their intended position.

They do like a bit more water than a Pine but they will also tolerate drought for a time.

Attachments

• BlueSpruce09.jpg
    BlueSpruce09.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 151

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I have had the Blue Spruce since 1982 when it was dug out of an old Christmas tree farm. I have never had a lick of trouble with it. They are difficult to wire because the foliage is so uncomfortable to handle, sharp and stiff to the hands. There is a tendency to be unruly in that you may have to wire the same branches over and over for years before they hold their intended position.

They do like a bit more water than a Pine but they will also tolerate drought for a time.
Love this Blue spruce. I will be retrying spruce again this year if I get my water treatment sytem up. Even so many bonsai king-pins say it does not matter I am tired of mineral and PH problems associated with my tap water.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Love this Blue spruce. I will be retrying spruce again this year if I get my water treatment sytem up. Even so many bonsai king-pins say it does not matter I am tired of mineral and PH problems associated with my tap water.

I suppose it all depends on the actual quality of your "City Water" so I cannot judge. But; I use tap water with no problems in the Detroit area. I know you hear a lot of bad things about the way Detroit does things but the quality of the water treatment facilities here is pretty good. One of the best in the country I understand. It services three counties.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Has anyone here had experience with growing and maintaining Colorado blue spruce as bonsai? I live in Nebraska so my growing conditions would seem appropriate. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank You!

Dave V.

If you really want to get your blue spruce on, go to the ABS convention in Denver in June and take a workshop with Ryan Neil or Harold Sasaki. The Neil workshop is $600 but you will get an excellent piece of yamadori. There are many other cheaper workshops, almost all are providing native yamadori. Still early, so signing up now might guarantee you a spot in one of the more coveted workshops. I will be there, but am coming from Canada so can't bring back a tree. $&#@!

http://bonsai2012.org/sessions

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I will be there, but am coming from Canada so can't bring back a tree. $&#@!

have you checked to see if there will be an Ag officer there to do FIDOs? We usually have them here in the PNW for our Canadian friends to be able to get trees home. I will also be at the ABS convention this year with Vic... hope to see you there.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
have you checked to see if there will be an Ag officer there to do FIDOs? We usually have them here in the PNW for our Canadian friends to be able to get trees home. I will also be at the ABS convention this year with Vic... hope to see you there.

Interesting... I had no idea that officers are sometimes on site at these conventions. But you mean phytos (phytosanitary), not fidos, right?

I checked the CFIA and phyto would be all I need to bring back a spruce. This is easier than say juniper or pine, as I also need an import permit to bring those back, in addition to phyto. I will contact some people at the convention and see what they say.

Thanks for the info!

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
But you mean phytos (phytosanitary), not fidos, right?
lol yes.... honestly I have never had to deal with them since it is always just taken care of when I go to a convention in Canada :)

but come on!! would be kewl to see dogs at the shows...

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you really want to get your blue spruce on, go to the ABS convention in Denver in June and take a workshop with Ryan Neil or Harold Sasaki.

Dave

I agree, the convention would be a great place to go if you want info. Harold Sasaki has been collecting Colorado Blue Spruce for a long time and has a lot of trees for sale. I wouldn't be surprised if he is supplying most of the workshop trees.

You can also contact him by phone or email to get any of your questions answered. Here is his website:

http://www.coloradobonsai.com/

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry to 'bump' an old thread but I didn't want to make a new one. I literally tripped over a large Colorado Spruce with an interesting trunk line today at a nursery. JudyB and VanceWood, are the colorado blue spruce pieces you've worked with also called "Fat Albert" Spruce? I searched the forum. Looks like dwarf alberta spruce is not great to work with (respect to october for his "1 Day Mission Spruce").

Am I correct in saying these picea pungens are much more suitable for bonsai culture and will it reward a trunk chop with budding on the trunk?

Thanks for the intel.

B

2012-05-22_13-36-35_317 (1).jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've had great luck with mine as far as getting budding back on branches, a little on the trunk, but be prepared to give it light inside to get those buds. (thin, thin,thin...) Mine is not a special cultivar, it's the specie... c.blue spruce. I'd give it a shot for sure.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had great luck with mine as far as getting budding back on branches, a little on the trunk, but be prepared to give it light inside to get those buds. (thin, thin,thin...) Mine is not a special cultivar, it's the specie... c.blue spruce. I'd give it a shot for sure.

Thanks JudyB :) I'm excited about this'n.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Mine too is just plain old Colorado Blue harveste/dug from an old Christmas Tree farm. Alberta Spruce is indeed a terrible bonsai candidate. I hope someone can prove me wrong, but I have found them to be a waste of time.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the reply Vance.

I was just thinking about picking this spruce up today. Then I realized it wouldn't fit into the jeep without a chop. If that was the extent of the work I did on it until winter, would it be okay to trunk chop it so late in the growing season? This tree is currently kept half buried in the shadier section of the nursery and I'd return it to similar conditions in my back yard.

Thanks again.

B

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
you should see the look on their face when you cut it in half right there in the parking lot .... head out to the truck .... get the pruning saw ... walk right up to the tree and start cutting.... freaks em out...

I love that! everyone should experience it at least once...

I see no reason you can't cut down to a manageable height .... however I have no experience with them so my comment is mostly based on educated guess work (with emphasis on "guess" )

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Heart break! Once I got there to pick up the tree, I inspected his neighbor with an unsightly bulge at the base.. Preparing for the worst, my stomach turned as I learned that my would-be bonsai material was grafted. :mad: An unsightly graft that made for some wicked bad reverse taper.

2012-05-23_13-26-54_978.jpg

C'est la vi.

At least I didn't get it home before I noticed this flaw.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That sucks. Sorry. But you should be able to find smaller CBS material, and they are pretty easy to bend the trunk around and get some shape to a straight trunk if it's still flexi enough.

Top Bottom