Colorado Collecting in the wild

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
I live in Colorado Springs and am looking forward to April when collecting from the wild opens up for six weeks. I have already marked a few trees northwest of Lake George. Do any of you live in Colorado and if so where are your favorite spots for collecting? Dave

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi Dave - welcome to the site!

I do not live in Colorado, but wanted to comment on one thing in your thread. You mention collecting opening up for six weeks. Does Colorado have a "season" for collecting trees from the wild? Do you have to otherwise register or anything? (similar to hunting?) I have never heard of this.

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
Collecting in Colorado

You can purchase up to 10 "dig" permits at $10.00 each for collecting within national forests. As I recall the season opens April 15 and closes May 31st.

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
Collecting

This will be my first year collecting as I recently joined Pikes Peak Bonsai Society. I am very anxious to get into the mountains and bring some material home to add to my collection. I'll be accompanied by "seasoned" collectors that know of the best spots. The collecting ground that they cover is only an hours drive west from my home in Colorado Springs.

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yamadori by the side of the road

JR, I took a drive a couple of weeks ago in the mountains and never set foot more than 20 yards off the gravel road and spotted maybe a dozen candidates for material in a four mile stretch of road. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. I am sure if I had spent more time and wandered further I could have found many more. Just counting the days until April 15th when I get my dig permits. All tools are ready to go. Dave, Colorado Springs.

acuralegend94

Seedling
Reaction score
haha man i would like to go and do a dig there... my wife's cousin lives in vail.... lol maybe time for a visit!?

Top Bottom