Colors of Fall

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's not uncommon with these trees. Sometimes they just fizzle out at the end with just a bunch of dried and brown leaves to show for. A few of my shohin did the same. There is always next year and at least we can look forward to their beautiful winter silhouettes.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It has been my understanding that the trees need to be mature and well tended to get the real vivid display. We gave our potted ones extra attention last Spring and less light this past summer - They have never displayed as well as this year.

Grimmy

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Grimmy I don't think that is necessarily true as far as maples needing to be more mature. I have 2 year saplings that have displayed very intense colors. There are also trees posted here with good color that are quite young as well.

I think you did well in giving your maples less light in summer. I assume you mean more shaded conditions/less direct sunlight? If color is what you want for fall, one key factor is to make sure your leaves are in good condition by the time autumn rolls around.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's a 1 year old maple from seed in a pot, and just as red as anything I've seen.. Must not be the age that does it.

Attachments

• IMG_8814.jpg
    IMG_8814.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 17

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A few maples.

Now if you could pan a bit to the right, and do another one, we can see that larch forest that is lurking over there....;)

They look wonderful, the leaves are in such good form... That's my goal for next year. Better leaf health.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Here's my Ginkgo from today looking very yellow.

Attachments

• Ginkgo fall color.jpg
    Ginkgo fall color.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 22

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Now if you could pan a bit to the right, and do another one, we can see that larch forest that is lurking over there....;)

They look wonderful, the leaves are in such good form... That's my goal for next year. Better leaf health.

Haha! Boy you are good Judy! Indeed that is the Larch forest. I will soon put it back on EBay to hopefully see if I can sell it. This forest requires just too much of my time that I need to spend elsewhere... like my RMJs and maples and oh yeah family! :rolleyes:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Do you think there is adifference in the leaf color depending on whether or not you defoliated during the summer? It seems to help Maples keep away those pesky brown tips they like to develope in the really hot climates (like here in SC) so whether the color is more intense or not, the leaves look a lot better by the time Fall rolls around usually...

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone have any pics of Chinese Pistache bonsai? they are glowing in the landscape now, and i have been digging out volunteers with shape. I figure the compound leaves will be a pain, but if I can shrink them a little and get short inter-nodes, it will be fine for fall and winter viewing.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Do you think there is adifference in the leaf color depending on whether or not you defoliated during the summer? It seems to help Maples keep away those pesky brown tips they like to develope in the really hot climates (like here in SC) so whether the color is more intense or not, the leaves look a lot better by the time Fall rolls around usually...

I believe the better color is due simply because they make it to autumn in good shape and "less tired" than leaves that have been working hard since the spring. Definitely no guarantee that these newer leaves will not get tip burn though. All depends in their daily care as well as environmental factors. I personally do not recommend defoliation as a means to obtain better fall coloration. It can weaken a tree significantly with no assurance that it will produce brilliant autumn color.

Last edited:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I believe the better color is due simply because they make it to autumn in good shape and "less tired" than leaves that have been working hard since the spring. Definitely no guarantee that these newer leaves will not get tip burn though. All depends in their daily care as well as environmental factors. I personally do not recommend defoliation as a means to obtain better fall coloration. It can weaken a tree significantly with no assurance that it will produce brilliant autumn color.

I didn't mean to imply you should defoliate just to produce better color, and I don't generally defoliate my trees because I am still trying to let most of mine grow out a bit and develop stronger trunks... I was more just thinking out loud and wondering if you have seen any noticeable difference in fall coloration between trees that were defoliated and those that were not...

I have a couple funny looking trees in my collection right now- 2 of my Maples have new growth that just really popped in late August and September, so the new shoots have perfectly formed, STILL GREEN leaves, and the older growth has the burnt tips and has changed to autumn colors... Looks almost like two trees are stuck together, growing at different rates! It makes for an interesting image for sure. If I get a chance maybe I can post a pic here later...

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I didn't mean to imply you should defoliate just to produce better color, and I don't generally defoliate my trees because I am still trying to let most of mine grow out a bit and develop stronger trunks... I was more just thinking out loud and wondering if you have seen any noticeable difference in fall coloration between trees that were defoliated and those that were not...

I have a couple funny looking trees in my collection right now- 2 of my Maples have new growth that just really popped in late August and September, so the new shoots have perfectly formed, STILL GREEN leaves, and the older growth has the burnt tips and has changed to autumn colors... Looks almost like two trees are stuck together, growing at different rates! It makes for an interesting image for sure. If I get a chance maybe I can post a pic here later...

Ok thanks Eric I understand :) I just thought I would also mention it for the benefit of some of the less experienced folks that may be reading this.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Awesome colors. Thanks for sharing guys!!! :)

After the cold front last week, I had a few colors (though pathetic compared to the pictured ones here) from my trident, crabapple, and crape myrtle. :D

My elms, pomegranate, and KHB are just turning a bit yellow green then drop their leaves. Very disappointing. :( I'll try to shoot for nicer colors next year by making sure the foliage are healthier... the weather is the big factor I have no say.

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
Small Larch ready for dropping!!

PB6_zps1121d61c.jpg

Small Cotoneaster on a rock that's too big! (may have to chop the rock next year!!)

Cotoneaster1_zps755e2d7e.jpg

Another Cotoneaster, pic taken a couple of years ago..

bonsaicotoneaster01a-1.jpg

Acer Palmatum 'garnet', cut leaf Maple patio tree..

AutumnGarden_zps1a9605f7.jpg

Larch just on the turn..

Larix250911.jpg

Cheers, John :)

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
A few more..

These aren't my trees (Too nice to be mine :eek: ), they belong to members at our club, I merely snapped them with my camera!!

BC6-1.jpg

BC7.jpg

BC8.jpg

BC4-1.jpg

The pics were taken in October last year...

John:)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Got home from a (loooong) week on the road and found some nice fall color. Probably missed the peak on the zelkova, but may see some more on the maple.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 28

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Fall in Florida

Here's my Bougi showing its November colors. Needs some work, but definitely putting on a nice bract show.

IMG_1115[1].jpgIMG_1118[1].jpgIMG_1139[1].jpg

Last edited:

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
That's my son. :) No worries though. He gets the pretty girl comment a lot, probably because of that hair. He doesn't mind.

Top Bottom