Columbus Bonsai Society 2018 Annual Show, Columbus Ohio, July 14-15

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It was nice meeting you @JudyB. Hopefully I'll get back down your way before you move so I can see your collection!

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is what I brought home. A bougainvillea that I'll air layer above that straight section (with a ficus tag along in the pot) and two pots I just planted.

20180715_165835.jpg
20180715_164619.jpg
20180715_164611.jpg
20180715_160649.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Actually to be accurate the first pic is the first place peoples choice. The second pic is the first place members voting (and a nice trident by Mike Thornhill) that was also voted 2nd place peoples choice. The third photo is the members choice for third place. The second place members tree was a very strange juniper plant. I didn't understand that choice at all. Perhaps if someone has a photo we can discuss.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for that. I figured if the club shared the post to their page then it was the first, second, and third place trees like it said.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Actually to be accurate the first pic is the first place peoples choice. The second pic is the first place members voting (and a nice trident by Mike Thornhill) that was also voted 2nd place peoples choice. The third photo is the members choice for third place. The second place members tree was a very strange juniper plant. I didn't understand that choice at all. Perhaps if someone has a photo we can discuss.

That makes more sense.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Judy, your displays as a whole, were head and shoulders better than anything else I’m seeing in those photos: classic, thoughtful compositions, good grooming, training, and scale, appropriate stands (including the metallic elements), pots and accents. In fact, so far ahead of the rest, that it’s unlikely your displays were fully appreciated. You’re playing chess in a room full of checker matches. I hope that was apparent to you, in the event you didn’t bring home all the hardware.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Judy, your displays as a whole, were head and shoulders better than anything else I’m seeing in those photos: classic, thoughtful compositions, good grooming, training, and scale, appropriate stands (including the metallic elements), pots and accents. In fact, so far ahead of the rest, that it’s unlikely your displays were fully appreciated. You’re playing chess in a room full of checker matches. I hope that was apparent to you, in the event you didn’t bring home all the hardware.
I don't really care about the hardware there, I don't do it for that reason. I do it because it makes me push the trees and myself to make them and the display as perfect as possible.
The displays were not even set as they were intended. When I arrived, one of my 3 point trees was up on a multiple mass mame stand. I had to go on a hunt to retrieve it and at least set it with the other two. There is not enough room for the trees that they attempt to display here, so the three point and the metal stand and all the trees and accessories were in about a 4' space. You could not even discern that they were "displays". The same was true for the Hornbeam, that had the honor of having the raffle flyers stacked in front of it.... I was not happy that they feel like they can split up trees as they like. I gave them photos of how the displays were to be set.
I doubt the majority of the members, and all of the "people" know what they are really looking at. But I will say that the trident that won was nice, as was the azalea. I know that guy Mike Thornhill, and am happy for him. But that juniper I just don't understand, lol.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When I arrived, one of my 3 point trees was up on a multiple mass mame stand. I had to go on a hunt to retrieve it and at least set it with the other two.
Yeah that I couldn't believe they messed up that much. I saw that goji and was like I swear that's Judy's tree.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just saw some posts on FB from the Columbus show. Is this the Juniper in question? My novice eye looked at it for a long time. In fact it’s the only pic I took this year. CC4C0196-EB1E-4A85-ABA3-B870A90C8937.png

Top Bottom