Combining a rock and a pot

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
What do you all think? To eventually have a short boxwood forest on top.
IMG_20170627_191034738[1].jpg IMG_20170627_191116945[1].jpg IMG_20170627_191029861[1].jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Honestly, I don't know exactly what you're planning. If you're wanting to plant the boxwoods on the stone, you don't need the pot. If you're planning a landscape type planting with trees planted on and around the stone, a much wider, shallower pot would be needed. Right now, I don't see any way this pot/rock combo would look pleasing together.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like a rock sitting on top of a pot. Could be an interesting cave...perhaps with a low moss growth entering the cave.
I think the pot is to tall and not quite wide enough. I think you could make this creation very interesting using a much more shallow pot.
The design characteristics of the pot seem wrong for the rock planting.
I like the rock.
Forest? Hmmm....I was thinking of a shorter but wide spreading single tree...sort of like a short flat top tree. I think the forest will detract from the beauty you see with the rock.
So...to me....short flat top with a low smooth green moss bed leading into the cave.

My thoughts on planting. Might be interesting to drill two or three holes in the rock and train some roots to grow down through the rock into the moss area...visible when looking at the cave. For the start fill the cave with soil. Over time begin to remove the soil inside the cave and replace the bed with moss. Leaving roots dangling and growing down. Okay...maybe that's called a....Root under rock.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
f8d2c295fecff8254e590c344cde0552--big-sur-california-california-living.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amen No pot...

Wait...

That would suck!

Sorce

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Amen No pot...

Wait...

That would suck!

Sorce

Just a rock and no pot?!?!? what is Sorce gonna do?!?!??!

I love the tree above it is an inspiration. Every time life gets hard I look at that picture of this tree and say

"At least I still have the ground to walk on and plant trees!" :p:p

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
To my eye, on its own the rock is too small for a boxwood forest planting. Depends on the trees, of course.

If it were me, and I wanted to do a forest with this, I would set it on a low slab, have one or two main trees middle and left on the rock, a small tree on the slab left, two small on the slab right, with the goal of suggesting a karst landscape

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What do you all think? To eventually have a short boxwood forest on top.

That is a nice rock, for inspiration and display ideas I strongly suggest you go to John G's Blog, and scroll down to Winged Elms On A Rock Island - he has many more posted there AND tutorial videos discussing rock plantings ;)

The Link - http://bonsaisc.blogspot.com/

Grimmy

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Set it on a low slab and not a pot, like others have previously suggested.

Top Bottom