Come home to some hawthorns

Josh86

Yamadori
Reaction score
So today my neighbor calls and asks if I could use hawthorns because I told him I want to steal his juniper. I told him it depends and if I liked them I'd dig them this spring. Well apparently he yanked them out because they were shorting out his electric fence. I come home and they are laying in my driveway bare rooted they looked pretty cool but the one had few fine roots I potted them in what I had because I really wasn't ready for them. Should I cut them back to give them a better chance or wait until spring. They have no leaves at this point in the year. And I figure if they die nothing is really lost but they do look cool

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
So today my neighbor calls and asks if I could use hawthorns because I told him I want to steal his juniper. I told him it depends and if I liked them I'd dig them this spring. Well apparently he yanked them out because they were shorting out his electric fence. I come home and they are laying in my driveway bare rooted they looked pretty cool but the one had few fine roots I potted them in what I had because I really wasn't ready for them. Should I cut them back to give them a better chance or wait until spring. They have no leaves at this point in the year. And I figure if they die nothing is really lost but they do look cool
Any pictures?

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I'd say wait until late winter to do the cut backs. All you can do for now is keep it properly watered and protected overwinter. Since it looks like all the leaves have already fallen off there is no advantage to do the cut back now.

Josh86

Yamadori
Reaction score
I will for sure. Over 8 on the onebout 5 to 6 on the second one

Josh86

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks I definitely liked them but what do I know I'm such a noob

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm 3 years in...and I still don't have anything to write home about...
Slow and steady, they're coming along though, I have high expectations for a few of my trees within the next 2 growing seasons...

Josh86

Yamadori
Reaction score
That's awesome when I was younger I wanted to get into bonsai I dont remember why I didn't. If I had I might have something worth while by now

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Dont put yourself down gotta start somewere find your way trough the tons of info availible on bnut and next year look what youve learned

Im two years in now and learned allot and way faster than anything else ive studied for ;)

The hawthorns do have potention just make sure when they are ready to be worked youve grown as much as them !

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
they were shorting out his electric fence
Odd. The electric fences here cut through vegetation as it grows into them.
But anyways.
I would chop them low in spring as soon as buds start to swell and hope. If they do grow leave them alone for the first year.

Josh86

Yamadori
Reaction score
I believe his fencer is to weak or his ground is not proper because my fence will arc a half inch to burn a weed

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe his fencer is to weak or his ground is not proper because my fence will arc a half inch to burn a weed
Worked out for you. Too bad for him though when the livestock escapes.
Fences are a great place to look for trees.

Josh86

Yamadori
Reaction score
His 4 cows are so calm they would stay in a string line lol. I'm not complaining about getting something more than a stick hehe

Josh86

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yes I'm hopeful for the one the other I'm not getting my hopes up so if it lives I can be ecstatic lol

Top Bottom