Answer my PM.

keep it green,
Harry

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did you ole codger...

I had a an emergency mid day and had to cover up a home in the rain today. Exactly 4 weeks to the day the same thing happend while I was starting this stand. I am on call every four weeks. Maybe I will get it done before the next catastrophy.

BTW..you won't like my answer. They are for me and not for sale and not for anyone else. They are being built for four specific trees in my collection. Each tree has a different feel and I wanted a purpose specific stand for those trees. This stand was for the maple I showed on it a few posts back. This will be the tree I have selected for this years Toko Kazari at the Clark Center for Japanese art in April.

I like to cut it close....

The old stand in the second picture was a good stand for the tree. It was a stand with legs 6 inches tall and the shape of the legs mimmicked the trees Hogarth curve style trunk line. The feeling of the stand while gracefull was not light enough.

The new stand is much taller. Double at 12 inches tall. The pot it is in now did not fit on the stand and did not fit within the center board of the old stand after I took it out of the pot my son had made for me. The new pot custom built by Jim Barrett with an off white crackle glaze is 15 percent larger. The new pot fits the table with ease and looks very comfertable on the table. The tall slender legs and simple design do not overpower the tree as the old stand did. The Tokonoma's at the Clark center are large and the ceilings are 14 feet tall. The scroll I am useing is tall and slender also being 7 feet long and only 11 inches wide. It depicts spring and will be shown with an object stone in the display. The name of my display will be "Morning Meditation".

Attachments

• DSC_000300011.JPG
    DSC_000300011.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC_0024a0001.JPG
    DSC_0024a0001.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 90
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Glad to hear that you are doing these stands for yourself... :) It's not often the artist keeps such spectacular works for himself... usually the allure of payment is too great. Good on you. ;)

V

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Ok, so sell me the old stand ! Besides, I'm not an old codger, I prefer old coot.

keep it green,
Harry

Top Bottom