Coming soon.....

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm in the process of slowing making a new stand. As of right now it will be solid mohagany. Thinking of maybe using an ebony accent somewhere.

Almost finished with the first leg. I'll be sanding this down to 400 grit and then will fill in the grain. It's a slow process sanding by hand, but it's necessary as you'd loose the profile using power tools.

More to follow.....

20190916_203236.jpg20190916_203047.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Managed to cut two more legs when I got home today. I'm going to try to cut the last leg tomorrow. This weekend I should have all the legs sanded and grain filled.

20190917_211513.jpg

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm hoping that I strike it rich and get to retire early one day. When that day comes, I want to take up woodworking. Hopefully by then the kids' stuff will be out of the garage and I'll have more room.

Nice leg.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As of right now it will be solid mohagany.

Love woodworking! Wood description is a slippery thing, particularly when there is a significant profit motive for describing cheaper woods as more expensive ones, and particularly when it is sometimes difficult to discern exactly what wood you are working with. Mahogany is probably the most often misused wood term in the trade. There is really only one true Mahogany - American / Cuban Mahogany: Swietania mahagoni (which is the source of the name "mahogany"). Even though this tree is native to Florida, the majority of the commercial lumber came from Cuba, and with the Castro revolution, all trade in it ceased. Wood dealers went looking for another source, and located the genetically similar (same genus, different species) big leaf (or Honduran) "mahogany" down in South America. Now you can find woods described as African "mahogany" and even Phillipines "mahogany" from tree species that aren't even in the same genus. Unless your wood comes from a pre-1950 source, it probably isn't mahogany, and if it wasn't listed with a genus and species name, you may not ever know what it is.

Probably not a big deal, since I find there are some tropical hardwoods that are as nice if not nicer (in my opinion) than true mahogany. But if you can't sell sapelle for the same price as a wood labelled "mahogany" you will understand how sometimes wood labels get mixed up somewhere along the distribution channel... and suddenly wood warehouses around the wood are FULL of "mahogany" even though the tree is listed as "threatened", has limited geographic distribution, and no significant commercial harvest.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm hoping that I strike it rich and get to retire early one day. When that day comes, I want to take up woodworking. Hopefully by then the kids' stuff will be out of the garage and I'll have more room.

Nice leg.

I know the feeling. I'm squeezing a few minutes here and there to work on this. I have most of my equipment on wheels so I can roll everything out of the garage and work in the driveway then roll everything back in when done.

I hope to build a 6 car garage in the future to set up as my workshop. Maybe in the next several years.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Love woodworking! Wood description is a slippery thing, particularly when there is a significant profit motive for describing cheaper woods as more expensive ones, and particularly when it is sometimes difficult to discern exactly what wood you are working with. Mahogany is probably the most often misused wood term in the trade. There is really only one true Mahogany - American / Cuban Mahogany: Swietania mahagoni (which is the source of the name "mahogany"). Even though this tree is native to Florida, the majority of the commercial lumber came from Cuba, and with the Castro revolution, all trade in it ceased. Wood dealers went looking for another source, and located the genetically similar (same genus, different species) big leaf (or Honduran) "mahogany" down in South America. Now you can find woods described as African "mahogany" and even Phillipines "mahogany" from tree species that aren't even in the same genus. Unless your wood comes from a pre-1950 source, it probably isn't mahogany, and if it wasn't listed with a genus and species name, you may not ever know what it is.

Probably not a big deal, since I find there are some tropical hardwoods that are as nice if not nicer (in my opinion) than true mahogany. But if you can't sell sapelle for the same price as a wood labelled "mahogany" you will understand how sometimes wood labels get mixed up somewhere along the distribution channel... and suddenly wood warehouses around the wood are FULL of "mahogany" even though the tree is listed as "threatened", has limited geographic distribution, and no significant commercial harvest.

100% true, mahogany in the woodworking trade has very loose usage for a lot of red wood exotics. The spindle blanks I picked up at Exotic Lumber were labeled "mahag" no other way to know except to label it as mahogany. The grain though does look a lot like Sapele, but as long as the grain and color of the wood is consistent I'll be happy. We'll see how the stand looks when it's all said and done. I do plan to stain it to Georgian Brown Mahogany from Lee Valley. So the color will be pretty rich and warm.

If you have some time to read here's a good link describing some of the "African" types of supposedly labeled mahogany..... African Mahogany

20190918_103103.jpg20190918_103057.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Oh, that's very encouraging, but as my parents used to say I have two left hands. I tried to break the spell and I love working with wood, just the smell of it is a pleasure that you can probably understand, but so far, I've just been able to make gross, cheap, pine wood shelves. It needs much more skills, care and precision than I have 🥴

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oh, that's very encouraging, but as my parents used to say I have two left hands. I tried to break the spell and I love working with wood, just the smell of it is a pleasure that you can probably understand, but so far, I've just been able to make gross, cheap, pine wood shelves. It needs much more skills, care and precision than I have 🥴

I've been woodworking for over 20yrs. I still think I can be better. But it takes time and effort. If you start on small projects and work your way up to bigger ones it will be easier. The only downside with woodworking is all the things you need to get started, but that's with any hobby I suppose.

Since you like woodworking here's some pics of other things I've built.......

Solid Ash crib for my daughter
20150819_194941.jpg20150819_194914.jpg20150819_195011.jpg

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Love the wine stoppers, you ever think about doing a chess set?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Love the wine stoppers, you ever think about doing a chess set?

Yes, when I was back in Italy I wanted to make one, and a humidor, and a wooden model bi-plane......and a bunch of other stuff.

Not enough time to do it all.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just a quick update.....

First leg sanded down to 220 grit

Second leg rough sanded to shape, still have to do some minor touch ups before I can start the fine sanding

Third leg as is right off the bandsaw

Fourth leg still in block form

20190918_202025.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This weekend I managed to shape all the legs, but still need to do some minor touch ups before I feel comfortable moving forward with the sanding process.

20190923_090908-01.jpeg

Top Bottom