Common Pear

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A tree I purchased from Kaizen Bonsai, UK website. Bobby originally pointed it out to me and it did strike a chord with me. The movement in the trunk, its size, and of course its great bark and representation of age.
There's always that slightly sour taste of not knowing exactly how old it is, I have no idea so feel free to hazard a guess.

A brilliant sunny day for the pictures too.. 22/05/2019

DSC_0497 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0481 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0484 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0485 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Some close up of main features

DSC_0486 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0490 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0492 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[Taken 22/05/2019]​

Again, thanks to Bobby for pointing out, but this also bears resemblance to a well known Pear, from WP, which I can certainly take inspiration from. Large difference, not as spectacular of nebari.

2015-08-SAL_2593ofw.jpg

I don't know how long it has been in the pot, or what it is in, however it seems to be nursery soil, quite sandy. I have no idea or feel for strength or vigor.
It needs its first major work done to set its bones in place, then to develop proportional primary branches. The 2 sub trunks at the top, are my main concern.

I have done some minor work on areas which I will definitely be keeping, not touched the top yet. Will follow up with another post.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For starters, I believe this smaller, angled branch needs removing from the crouch of the sub trunks.
DSC_0522 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr​

And the smaller of these branches, removed.
DSC_0523 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr​

I also put some small wire on a few lower young branches so they grow in the intended direction and shortened the lower, left side branch as it is long, straight and taperless. I haven't taken a picture of that for some reason.

How it currently looks:

DSC_0519 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr​

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice! That low movement on the trunk is great and the bark looks great already! Looking forward to seeing it develop.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Pyrus Communis :) I thought Id leave the latin name out of the thread this time, kinda seems like Im being a bit "uppity" by putting it.
Trust me, many of us appreciate the use of the botanical name (latin name) because there are so many confusing common names. Especially for people not living in either Europe or North America. A good example is Carica papaya, which in North America is called papaya, in South Africa Afrikaans it is called pawpaw, and in EU Dutch is Papaja. At the same time in North America the pawpaw refers to Asimina triloba, which is a custard apple relative that does not occur in Africa. Had a good multi post confusion between a IBC member in South Africa when posting about the North American pawpaw Asimina triloba.

So please I wish all members if you know the botanical name of the species you are discussing, try to use the botanical name at least once in the post. Over doing the botanical name can sound presumptuous, but using it once or twice avoids confusion.

For Pear, in the USA the various Chinese pears are common, both the culinary types and the ornamental types. In landscaping circles when one says ''pear tree'' they may mean Pyrus calleryana - the most famous cultivar of which is the 'Bradford pear', the most commonly planted ornamental pear around. Orchards often plant Pyrus pyrifolia, and or P. x bretschneideri cultivars, which are the culinary ''Chinese pears'' often seen in produce markets. Some parts of USA the Chinese pear is almost more popular to eat than the Common or European pear, P. communis.

So it is not at all pompous to use the scientific or botanical name at least once in a post. Language across continents can be very confusing.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Trust me, many of us appreciate the use of the botanical name (latin name) because there are so many confusing common names. Especially for people not living in either Europe or North America. A good example is Carica papaya, which in North America is called papaya, in South Africa Afrikaans it is called pawpaw, and in EU Dutch is Papaja. At the same time in North America the pawpaw refers to Asimina triloba, which is a custard apple relative that does not occur in Africa. Had a good multi post confusion between a IBC member in South Africa when posting about the North American pawpaw Asimina triloba.

So please I wish all members if you know the botanical name of the species you are discussing, try to use the botanical name at least once in the post. Over doing the botanical name can sound presumptuous, but using it once or twice avoids confusion.

For Pear, in the USA the various Chinese pears are common, both the culinary types and the ornamental types. In landscaping circles when one says ''pear tree'' they may mean Pyrus calleryana - the most famous cultivar of which is the 'Bradford pear', the most commonly planted ornamental pear around. Orchards often plant Pyrus pyrifolia, and or P. x bretschneideri cultivars, which are the culinary ''Chinese pears'' often seen in produce markets. Some parts of USA the Chinese pear is almost more popular to eat than the Common or European pear, P. communis.

So it is not at all pompous to use the scientific or botanical name at least once in a post. Language across continents can be very confusing.

Well, that has convinced me! Thanks.
I remember that naming of the papaya fruit. I once had an African Grey parrot which loved the fruit and I heard it called by the name papaya and pawpaw.
I will bear in mind to put the latin name, in posts, from now on :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't get too hung up on age. It's overrated. This tree isn't all that old--I'd be surprised if it were over 20 years old. More likely less than 15.

From what I've seen, Pears grow quickly and this one has done just that, judging from the bark. Old, slow-grown pear has tightly fissured bark. Fast grown seedlings in favorable areas typically have bark like this tree's--smother bark with splits from fast growth.

We have millions of naturalized Bradford and variations of pear in the wild now around here.

The movement in the trunk is what's valuable in your tree. Emphasize it. Pear, at least around here, have straight upright trunks that have all the interest of a telephone pole.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't get too hung up on age. It's overrated. This tree isn't all that old--I'd be surprised if it were over 20 years old. More likely less than 15.

From what I've seen, Pears grow quickly and this one has done just that, judging from the bark. Old, slow-grown pear has tightly fissured bark. Fast grown seedlings in favorable areas typically have bark like this tree's--smother bark with splits from fast growth.

We have millions of naturalized Bradford and variations of pear in the wild now around here.

The movement in the trunk is what's valuable in your tree. Emphasize it. Pear, at least around here, have straight upright trunks that have all the interest of a telephone pole.

Very good info, thanks.
I’ll post with my thinking for future of it, I was already thinking to remove the sub trunk which doesn’t help towards movement. So I’ll be left with as much movement as possible.
Just got to put that in to a virt.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If the infected leaves are destroyed after leaf fall and the tree regularly treated, the pear tree will survive, but when the orange fungus show on a juniper, it's a goner and the only option is to burn it.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you have any juniper in the area keep an eye for pear trellis rust. Treat in spring as leaves emerge until end of spring.

Here’s a photo of a spore mass on a host plant, Juniperus virginiana, I found out on the field. View attachment 249433

Wow that's... pretty gruesome looking..

I don't have any juniper, but thanks for the nightmare fuel picture! Lol.

This pear of mine is growing well at the moment, sending out a lot of new growth but I still gotta do my major work to it, to set it up for future, not decided yet.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This guy is being put under the knife tomorrow. I’m hopeful that nothing major is required, for removal but I’ll see.. a good few times I’ve not intended to reduce but it happens..
It’s growing really strongly at the moment, I suspect it’s response to my pruning should be great, ready to wire for movement in a month or 6 weeks.

If anyone’s got experience of the common pear species and would like to share past wisdom please do. I’m treating it like an Elm, not a maple! It’s a tough tree.

https://flic.kr/p/2gteWpX

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Before:

DSC_0618 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0621 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

After:

DSC_0622 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0625 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0628 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

I have also put 1 guy wire (my first time, I just worked with what I could do). There are 2 branches, i think 1 or both need reducing but lost the guts to do so, so I am bending one instead:

I think its a good cut back for now. A few bits of wire but not much. The pear grows well, quite strongly so far but its branching is very satisfying, to me any way, in the way it grows. Cant quite describe it.
Hopefully another cut back near the end of the season.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There are a few branches that I could wire for movement but they are too big for my wire. Im going to buy some thicker wire, my thickest was 4mm. I may wire some when that arrives.
I also need to clean this up:

But, haven't got the tools for it... Im getting a smaller, fine toothed saw as mine is currently too big. I may chop at this a bit but I think dremel would be better. The bark here is nice and old, so any work I do on it, I want to be 100% sure and remove as little as possible. Just need the transition to be smoother.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
There are a few branches that I could wire for movement but they are too big for my wire. Im going to buy some thicker wire, my thickest was 4mm. I may wire some when that arrives.
I also need to clean this up:

But, haven't got the tools for it... Im getting a smaller, fine toothed saw as mine is currently too big. I may chop at this a bit but I think dremel would be better. The bark here is nice and old, so any work I do on it, I want to be 100% sure and remove as little as possible. Just need the transition to be smoother.

Do you not have knob cutters?
you can clean this up with knob cutters.

watch how Ryan uses a pair to clean up a chop. at 32:32 in

those branches will be too thick to bend with wire.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I do have knob cutters. 210mm knob cutters. They seem too small for such a job..
I’ve watched that vid before, rewatching, you mean at 33:40? Yeh those knob cutters are bloody huge mate lol. They are monsters, they make mince meat of that wood. I’m not sure mine are big enough, or maybe my forearms aren’t big enough!! Lol but I’ll give it a shot.

Any thoughts on the rest of the job? You know I’m surprised at how flexible the branches are.. you might be surprised that some could be wired where you think not.

Darren13

Seed
Reaction score
Hi Coner.
I to brought a common pear from Kazian at the exact time you did. Yo be honest I was looking at the one your brought, but you beat me to it.
The one I brought has a straight trunk, it's hot a really nice trunk base.

Attachments

• IMG_20200102_102520938.jpg
    IMG_20200102_102520938.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_20190802-083646.png
    Screenshot_20190802-083646.png
    276.2 KB · Views: 65

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Coner.
I to brought a common pear from Kazian at the exact time you did. Yo be honest I was looking at the one your brought, but you beat me to it.
The one I brought has a straight trunk, it's hot a really nice trunk base.
Yeah it has got a nice base. So similar to mine too. I saw more go on up on Kaizen afterwards, I was always happy with mine :).
Aside from pics in this thread, I’ve not done any major wirk to it. It’s branches are setup to grow I’d say but the 2 trunks it splits in to, need working on. Carving or something. At the moment it’s not good looking.
Looking forward to it’s growth this season :).

Top Bottom