Common Pear

Darren13

Seed
Reaction score
Coner,
I do have another pear tree which a well know bonsai artist started as a small seedling which he got through mail order back in the 70s. I've owned this tree now for around 16 years, and the guy who started the tree let me have all the photographic history of this tree right from when he first received it through the post.
I've been looking for another pear for the past 10 years or so but have never come across any, so. When I seen this come up on Kazians web site I didn't hesitate in purchasing one. They are a great species for bonsai, they bud back really well, have fantastic autumn colours. The only down side is the black spot on the leaves towards the end of the summer, as you have already experienced. But that doesn't bother me at all, it doesn't happen every year. I've found that if the humid and wet weather really brings the black spot out. A couple of years ago we had a really wet summer, which caused my pear to be covered in black spot, it looked like someone had sprayed it with a black arasol, it was covered. This had no affect on the trees health what so ever, the following spring it grew just as strong as it always has done.
I will post some pictures of the pear I'm referring to in the next couple of days.

Darren

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Coner,
I do have another pear tree which a well know bonsai artist started as a small seedling which he got through mail order back in the 70s. I've owned this tree now for around 16 years, and the guy who started the tree let me have all the photographic history of this tree right from when he first received it through the post.
I've been looking for another pear for the past 10 years or so but have never come across any, so. When I seen this come up on Kazians web site I didn't hesitate in purchasing one. They are a great species for bonsai, they bud back really well, have fantastic autumn colours. The only down side is the black spot on the leaves towards the end of the summer, as you have already experienced. But that doesn't bother me at all, it doesn't happen every year. I've found that if the humid and wet weather really brings the black spot out. A couple of years ago we had a really wet summer, which caused my pear to be covered in black spot, it looked like someone had sprayed it with a black arasol, it was covered. This had no affect on the trees health what so ever, the following spring it grew just as strong as it always has done.
I will post some pictures of the pear I'm referring to in the next couple of days.

Darren

sure thanks.
Do you leave the leaves on when black spot shows? I had removed but I was assuming the lovely autumn colour wouldn’t show did you the black spot.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Personally, I think it can add to the character of the species. It may not be wholly desirable, but as it is such a common occurrence in the species and has no detrimental effect, I’d accept it as part of it’s natural annual cycle and one of the tree‘s traits, not one of it’s flaws.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Personally, I think it can add to the character of the species. It may not be wholly desirable, but as it is such a common occurrence in the species and has no detrimental effect, I’d accept it as part of it’s natural annual cycle and one of the tree‘s traits, not one of it’s flaws.

Yeh very fair but the yellow/golden colour in autumn is lovely. Shame something spoils it.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I should have updated this...

The tree has been great with growth, it is far from the first to leaf out in Spring it seems but once it starts it really goes.
Heres some progress of bud break till now:

31/03
DSC_1441 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

03/04
DSC_1476 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

09/04
DSC_1641 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

23/04
DSC_1695 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

And now it is even bushier, will be pruning back and wiring tomorrow, so will put up some more pics.
I love this tree, I really hope I can do right by it.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Yes it is a lovely tree. It already has the shape of a wild pear in itself, particularly visible in the second picture. Bit of refinement and you’re away.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes it is a lovely tree. It already has the shape of a wild pear in itself, particularly visible in the second picture. Bit of refinement and you’re away.

Thanks but I reckon it needs more than that.. at the moment it deceptively hides its branch structure and its not good at the moment, needs to be much better. I hope in 3 years it is something very good. Every year after that is ramification :)

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This tree has had a pruning and some larger reductions on certain branches, should have been done before but I was too afraid.
A lot of wire has been applied to branches, new and old. Thing is like a jungle gym, guy wires all over.

DSC_1756 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_1757 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_1759 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[01/05/2020]

DSC_1760 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_1762 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1764 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_1766 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[02/05/2020]

A problem I have in a few places, is lack of inner branching. Im happy with the movement of the branches and taper, but no inner branching. I am hoping this hard prune will encourage that budding.

DSC_1769 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
nice, you could probably cut back those thicker shoots in the crown a bit harder, i marked in red
then i would focus on filling in the green area and build.
maybe something can be wired up into that space

usually when there is a chance to cut back to thinner twigs in the crown or create changes of direction you should cut, as it will improve the tree and at the same time lower/middle branches can get more light and become stronger. there is quite a few bits on this tree that could probably be cut back much harder and now you know it will back bud on old wood. so you can go over the tree and replace thicker bits with thinner bits, mainly in the crown and where you have 3 or 4 from from 1.

Attachments

• 20200528_120834.jpg
    20200528_120834.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 49741344083_9211e1c562_c.jpg
    49741344083_9211e1c562_c.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
nice, you could probably cut back those thicker shoots in the crown a bit harder, i marked in red
then i would focus on filling in the green area and build.
maybe something can be wired up into that space

usually when there is a chance to cut back to thinner twigs in the crown or create changes of direction you should cut, as it will improve the tree and at the same time lower/middle branches can get more light and become stronger. there is quite a few bits on this tree that could probably be cut back much harder and now you know it will back bud on old wood. so you can go over the tree and replace thicker bits with thinner bits, mainly in the crown and where you have 3 or 4 from from 1.

Sorry I didnt reply to this before. Yep, basically, its all going to get a better looking at and cut back hard. The second pic you sent, you have nailed a few of the branches yes, can clearly see they need cutting back.
The multiple branches coming from one of the trunks, I have to think about.. I am apprehensive to remove them down to 1, as I don't want to remove them simply cos the rules says so. I think I could remove one perhaps and leave a few, then carve the trunk down a bit to smooth in to them remaining branches.. but my carving skills are non-existent, so will see! Would like to get some carving experience on a tree that I care less about and has less mature bark lol.

Tree is perfectly healthy and good at the moment. Left some longer shoots around it, as they are among those that will be cut back hard, so the more leaves generating energy for it, the better it will be for back budding, in my mind.

DSC_2448 Editted by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2450 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2451 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2452Editted by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Getting some autumn colours and the yearly black spot coming about.. Spring it will be repoted in to something shallower and roots sorted, as they have not been sorted at all yet. And the tree will be cut back. Reduction of roots and reduction of foliage will help to keep balance.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
1603555839351.png
@conerDash, do you mind me asking about your roof in the background? Looks to have a pipe rather than a gutter on it. Or is it just a very narrow gutter because of the small roof area?
I ask because gutters are a problem for me (lots of trees) and I've thought of using surface tension to drain the roof instead of gutters.
Thanks!
CW

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 336305
@conerDash, do you mind me asking about your roof in the background? Looks to have a pipe rather than a gutter on it. Or is it just a very narrow gutter because of the small roof area?
I ask because gutters are a problem for me (lots of trees) and I've thought of using surface tension to drain the roof instead of gutters.
Thanks!
CW
Not what I expected lol but ok.

There is guttering, its normal sized guttering lol, can see it under the tiles there, black line. The left side shiny metal plate, on top row of the roof is for water coming down from the main roof, via that pipe. That hits the guttering on the small roof, all running round to the side, can see the small pipe far left underneath then round and down the side.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry. I should have begun by saying "Nice work on the tree. Love the color."
CW

Thats more like it! But you got your answer now, you’ve got what you wanted ;).

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
update while leafless? I like this tree.
Yes the 7 notifications, tell me you do in fact like it lol.
I like this tree too but it doesn't seem to get as much recognition on this site.

I do have pics but I am hiding them a little, as I should have cut it during winter, it needs big work but I haven't yet. I will update soon :).
It has mistakes on it, things I left cos I was too nervous and not brave enough.. stuff I have said in this topic and shown in pics already, are mistakes.
Now I know this, I need to put my big boy pants and go remove some big bits and reset the tree a bit. It'll better for it in the future.
I think the tree has a lot of potential and I need to pay it the right respect, and get that potential out of it.

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Conor- I love the subtle curves on this lady. It's almost like she's dancing. I'm looking forward in watching its progression!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, this may upset some people but its done now! Most of the tree has been chopped off.
Plenty of reasons for plenty of decisions made here but ill write that at the end.
Had this tree since June 2019, and its development starts now.

14 - 5RrZpwG by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
15 - OVvVrmw by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_3127 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_3129 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_3130 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

What follows is gonna be a load of typing and pics, so you can switch off now!
Who is upset, who is happy? :p

Top Bottom