Votes: 0 0.0%
  • On-line sources only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wherever you find it

Votes: 21 77.8%

• Total voters
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Time for a common sense poll about aquiring stock....

Plain and simple, to the point, where do you think the best place to get quality stock is?

No ifs, buts, excuses, just pick your option.

Will

Last edited:

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Will,

I don't know how to answer this pole..... here in the NW you can buy collected landscape trees at nurseries. These trees will make killer bonsai even though bought at a nursery it is still yamadori.....

If you worded the choices differently like:
Nursery material only
Yamadori only
Bonsai nursery only (pre-bonsai)
Urban only
etc...

I think the poll would be better off. Most nurseries in the NW have a bonsai section, some of which have yamadori, nursery material and prebonsai in them....

The whole debate in the other thread that started your pole here was about material type not really where you bought it but the type of material.

Jason

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I used the wherever option. The answer to this poll is obvious, but don't pat yourself on the back for "winning the argument" just yet.

I think good wording for a good question for this type of poll would be -

If you had to reccommend (1) one place for someone to get stock to create quality bonsai, would it be ...
A
B
C
D

The way it is written skews the answer to favor a point, it leaves no real answer. Answer mine, you can fill in the blanks, without repitition, and it can be used without explanation for almost anyone.

Last edited:

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Will, I answered wherever you find it. That is a pretty simple no brainer.

A better poll would have been where most often do you find quality material. The answer (s) would be very revealing I would think.

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"The way it is written skews the answer to favor a point, it leaves no real answer."

surprise,surprise.

andy

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will,
I've gotten quality bonsai stock at all those places over the last 29 years except "on line sources", and thats probably because I've always found it elsewhere without the need for shopping online ( or wanting too) and buying from a picture.
You didn't think a 'poll' here was going to be that easy did you?:)
Dale

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Boy, talk about a poll designed to push the answers to the one you want! How about a "realistic" poll instead of this idea of a "commonsense" poll?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, he told us he was a salesman...what did you expect!

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I

If you had to reccommend (1) one place for someone to get stock to create quality bonsai, would it be ...
A

I'd have to say Shady Side Bonsai (you know where to send the check Tom)

Cheers
Ian

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Will for the laugh.:D

You really give no choice but the last one. The first five or six choices are just window dressing.

This is like when the robber holds a pedestrian at gunpoint and says: "Which one do you prefer, your life or your money?"

:D :D

Here is another suggestion for a common sense poll:

Which one do you prefer:

a) Great material from plant nursery
b) Bad material from bonsai nursery
c) Useless yamadori with uncorrectable faults
d) John Naka's Goshin, given away for charity.

Edit: added d), to make it more common sense.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
I chose what Will wanted me to chose. It's just a theoretically "correct" answer though, the only option for me if I want good stock is yamadori...

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm just trying to figure out if Will is being serious or not...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Boy, talk about a poll designed to push the answers to the one you want! How about a "realistic" poll instead of this idea of a "commonsense" poll?

Boy, talk about criticizing, condemning, and complaining.

No ifs, buts, or excuses, just make a choice.

Will

cantstopsmilin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
where ever you can find it defintely b/c = no limits, and quality can be found anywhere, you just have to find it... first :)

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Wherver you find it assuming you have the skill and expereience to recognize it. Otherwise a dedicated , high quality bonsai nursery.

This sure is better than mud slinging. In fact , it's kinda fun

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I believe the best place to acquire stock is... Japan. Does that qualify as an answer? I doubt it.

How about a bonsai nursery in Japan? Bet there's some nice stuff there (duh). Like Kimura's nursery or Kobayashi's nursery. I bet Walter has some fine stuff at his nursery. Not to short American places how about Roy Nagatoshi's nursery, Gary and Mas Ishii's nursery, Johnny Uchida or Jim Gremel's place?

So bonsai nursery it is for me as long as we are discussing any nursery anywhere in the world.

Top Bottom