Compact mini Port

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, cuttings root easily!
They do, but most of the time for me they seem to just grow one straight branch that just keeps going on forever. This one started branching out very early somehow. I cut the terminal a few days ago but it was splitting off well before that. And it didn't start off that way, it was just a tip that I cut off.

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Also I'm happy because I'm trying to develop a start for a really small, fat tree, and this is the first cutting that is really cooperating. I'm hoping that being so densely packed will make some good thickness and branch options without having to chop down a plant that's 20 times bigger.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
They do, but most of the time for me they seem to just grow one straight branch that just keeps going on forever. This one started branching out very early somehow. I cut the terminal a few days ago but it was splitting off well before that. And it didn't start off that way, it was just a tip that I cut off.
3AD80BAD-8B70-4E90-B8E1-8F9708D5A22A.jpg

Not my graphic.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yeah, my issue right now is that mine were already long and sparse when I got them so I'm working on turning some cuttings into short internodes so that this method will actually work.
If it’s healthy and at the right time of year, a port will pop buds from any node. I have cut some back down to the first note above the root base And they exploded with growth.

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If it’s healthy and at the right time of year, a port will pop buds from any node. I have cut some back down to the first note above the root base And they exploded with growth.
Aha, I didn't know they could do that. That's good to know.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Aha, I didn't know they could do that. That's good to know.

This is a stumpy little variegated guy that was only 2-3 node sections. No roots, no foliage or branches. I stuck it in the side of another pot as a fresh cutting and here it is a few years later. It will get its own mame pot next year. Not exactly what I would recommend, but more of an experiment.
5736A29A-C143-4A76-BCE9-231E5FE510B8.jpeg

Joe58

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think that looks pretty nice indeed.

Top Bottom