Resource icon

Compiled Vance Wood on Mugo Pines

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance, isn't this a technique you don't use on a new nursery mugo? My understanding is that you wait a few seasons before beginning this technique.
It depends on the health of the tree. Usually nursery Mugos are such a mess it is not logical to do this. New nursery mugos usually need so much reduction that this process is not necessary because you have not reached a point with growth in the places you need it. I wish I could show you on a new tree; unfortunately most of the Mugos I have acquired over the last several years have not been kept long enough to develop having been sold the adjacent season.

Jure_v

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes you leave the 1/8" of the new stem right above the place where the new growth started, not needles or anything else, just 1/8" of the NEW STEM. It will have no needles or buds on it, just a little nub of a thing. The problem a lot of people have with Mugos is in mixing techniques. Decide on a path and stick to it, if you don't know ask.

Ooo thank you very much for explanation. Now is totaly clear. Obviously was reason for confusion my not good english. Now all makes sense.
Thanks for other sugestions too.

Does anybody has similar tutorial for JWP?

Here is my mugo Winter gold. Probably not best material but important for me is that i like it and have fun.

Attachments

• 20200308_115720.jpg
    20200308_115720.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 55

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Don't be afraid to go and get another. A good part of having fun is seeing results from the things that you do to a tree other than water it. It will take years to get this tree to do something nice for you.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ooo thank you very much for explanation. Now is totaly clear. Obviously was reason for confusion my not good english. Now all makes sense.
Thanks for other sugestions too.

Does anybody has similar tutorial for JWP?

Here is my mugo Winter gold. Probably not best material but important for me is that i like it and have fun.
It was not YOUR English that made interpretation questionable.
I was about to ask the question, and saw others had the same.
The English presented says to remove all the new growth + more. This does require thought and glad Vance addressed the question.
I figured I knew what the author meant, but glad I wasn't the only one left scratching my head.
I want to know I understand what the author means.
I always look this resource up before I do maintenance on my mugos, just to make sure I'm not out of season.
Excellent resource! Thanks again to @Lazylightningny and @Vance Wood. It should make you feel good to know so many folks
rely on this compilation as a guide in their lives of their trees.
  • When ready, in July I totally remove the new growth all the way down to the starting point from the current seasons growth
  • plus about an eighth of an inch of the new stem.

Babysumo

Seedling
Reaction score
Brilliant info just one question, when's the best time/season to perform v notches or under cuts on a Mugo?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Brilliant info just one question, when's the best time/season to perform v notches or under cuts on a Mugo?
Are you refering to the pie cuts made into the soil mass during the repot process?

Babysumo

Seedling
Reaction score
Are you refering to the pie cuts made into the soil mass during the repot process?
Hey Vance thank you for replying! no I'm trying to alter the trunk on a mugo essential, I have been trying to compile info on the best techniques and times etc which is how I came upon v notches and undercutting as apparent options. I've fallen in love with a mugo but it's thick truck not wire bendable, is way to straight. I apologise if this is low level annoying for some one as advanced as you are😊. Just a guy In love with a pine 😂 terrified of losing her. Again thank you for the reply.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hey Vance thank you for replying! no I'm trying to alter the trunk on a mugo essential, I have been trying to compile info on the best techniques and times etc which is how I came upon v notches and undercutting as apparent options. I've fallen in love with a mugo but it's thick truck not wire bendable, is way to straight. I apologise if this is low level annoying for some one as advanced as you are😊. Just a guy In love with a pine 😂 terrified of losing her. Again thank you for the reply.
Post up some detailed pictures of the tree with close ups of the area in question and I would be glad to provide information if I have it.

RVMcC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Vance Wood Hi... if you don't mind I would like to verify my understanding on repotting a mugo. I have two that I repotted from nursery cans to pond baskets in July 2018. Your compiled post notes under "Every year for 3 years" says... "Can repot in July, but not root prune."
Am I ok to repot the trees in July to remove the remaining 50% of nursery soil I left when I first repotted them? Also, I assume I should avoid pruning any of the existing roots when I repot. Correct? Thank you for your advice.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
@Vance Wood Hi... if you don't mind I would like to verify my understanding on repotting a mugo. I have two that I repotted from nursery cans to pond baskets in July 2018. Your compiled post notes under "Every year for 3 years" says... "Can repot in July, but not root prune."
Am I ok to repot the trees in July to remove the remaining 50% of nursery soil I left when I first repotted them? Also, I assume I should avoid pruning any of the existing roots when I repot. Correct? Thank you for your advice.
Yes and you can root prune as long as you are not merciless, no more than 50% at a time. Over time the most important thing is removing the core of the soil mass eventually, sooner than latter.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes and you can root prune as long as you are not merciless, no more than 50% at a time. Over time the most important thing is removing the core of the soil mass eventually, sooner than latter.
I've got a few nursery mugos I acquired this past summer. All are growing new, healthy shoots. My plan is to report in mid to late July and remove about 40 to 50 pct of the root ball. Could I tease out the remaining roots or should I leave them to recover? Also, I assume no pruning of the branches this year, correct?
Thanks!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There is a great thread in the pines section that has tons of discussion about Mugo pines

Please post your trees there instead of in this thread

RVMcC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you. I appreciate your feedback very much.

WyoMugo

Seed
Reaction score

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for tutorial. What is meant by ‘shari’ and ‘B&B’. Please excuse dumb question ‘cause I am new to this. Does JWP and JBP mean Japanese White Pine and Japanese Blue Pine?
shari is the exposed wood beneath the bark that runs along a branch, trunk or root, or any combination of these areas.
Balled and burlapped
Never heard of a Japanese blue pine. It is Black in JBP

Top Bottom