Complete Noob Please Help

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So I’m new to this site, and to the world of Bonsai!

So on a whim I ordered a weeping willow bonsai from Etsy. It has not arrived yet, but is described as a 10” Burning bush Weeping Willow cutting, shipped bare root! Started reading the reviews and apparently this seller includes extra cuttings with every order so I’m expecting to receive 1-2 cuttings in Addition to what I purchased.

Then today I found 2 other bonsai and brought them home. They are pictured below.
A90A8B31-D8F8-40DD-97AE-67C71B6BC26E.jpeg929B33ED-EF0E-40FF-8D83-3C9A039FFA51.jpeg
One is a Ficus Retusa….it is very young.
The other is a Golden Joy Juniper. Also young but a little more matured.

I did begin to prune the juniper but stoped because I realized I have no idea what I am doing. I don’t know the first thing about bonsai or any techniques or when I should start or stop wiring.

so far is what I have.
EBFE233B-5572-4779-BB39-93575C142FD4.jpegAF421617-587F-4BCE-98BE-9DD598C9E8BF.jpeg36756B13-9393-4A14-884F-BDC4EE0C7C21.jpeg91341B35-5B6B-446A-88E8-2B1FA48D58DE.jpeg44A4372E-FA3B-4C0D-9319-B997D2319CDC.jpeg
Any tips, ideas, suggestions, and directions to take these projects would be greatly appreciated!
Also I’m located in Washington State, about 1 hr 45 mins north of Seattle

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Try to stay off whims! Fetsy!

Welcome to Crazy!

What's in the tank?🧐

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think it would benefit you to check out Bjorn Bjorholms videos on shimpaku cuttings. Because they're about the same size as your juniper, and most junipers have similar approaches.

Juanmi

Mame
Reaction score
Hello and welcome!

I hope you'll enjoy your bonsai journey.
As there are lots of knowledge to acquire yet , I would advise you to seek that knowledge first. As I see it, this forum is an excellent way to learn about other people experiences, there are lots of talented folks here. Unfortunately, we can't cover the whole thing here, but we can guide you on specific questions you might have.

You can easily get a bonsai guide book or whatever to get the basics, and if there are some things that seem not to be clear (there will be at first) you can always ask.

I , personally started reading the John Naka book , and even it's not perfect , I really love that book. (You can even find it easily on the internet).

As for your trees, now is the growing season, so let them grow and enjoy looking at them every day. Meanwile read all you can.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Burning bush is one plant and Weeping willow another. Seller being creative with names to sell you an un-rooted stick.
A bonsai is a plant. A plant is not a bonsai, but you have already jumped in and started on the juniper. Find a bonsai club or watch a bunch of videos.
It would also help to know where you are.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey there welcome to the nut house! And to bonsai! Now hit the skids! Don't spend another penny on bonsai in ignorance. Let your next payment be to your local bonsai club for your membership dues. Get to know some people, get to know trees, avoid future mistakes.
Sure, you can get a lot of help here. Plenty of great people with lots of good information, but there's nothing like one on one personal attention from folks that know your local climate and are knowledgeable about trees in your area. Also a great sorce of material, usually on the cheap.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Burning bush is one plant and Weeping willow another. Seller being creative with names to sell you an un-rooted stick.
A bonsai is a plant. A plant is not a bonsai, but you have already jumped in and started on the juniper. Find a bonsai club or watch a bunch of videos.

Also I’m located in Washington State, about 1 hr 45 mins north of Seattle

Guessing u only read the first few lines and then decided your best help was to be negative, and I’m not really sure why that would be your approach to someone asking for help.

A little further and your “unroofed stick” assumption is unfounded as I stated I ordered a “10 inch cutting with bare roots” which I know will take time to develop, seeing as I don’t know the best stage to purchase a plant to being training I have purchased a few in different stages, but thanks for the try!

also a little further and I also provided my location as well 🤷🏾‍♂️

Last edited:

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Greetings to Bonsai Nut!

I see you have been busy acquiring material. You scored 50/50 on your choices for beginning bonsai as Juniper is a great material for beginner bonsai. Weeping Willows are not a first choice.

The links posted by @Wires_Guy_wires are a couple really good resources for starters.

Here is a local shop up north known for having bonsai expertise.

https://www.garden-spot.com/class-list

The Puget Sound Bonsai Association has many online resources for members. I’m a member and it’sa good bunch!

Two last things. In this forum folks will give you help in many different ways. Sometimes it comes across as being not so nice, but it is based upon expertise in this hobby. So be prepared to filter the responses to your benefit rather than to react to tone…(which is a useless pursuit online anyways.).

Finally, please double click your icon and enter your approximate location and USDA growing zone. This will save you time in the future and help others help you as this data appears on your icon for each message.

Good luck
DSD sends

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Guessing u only read the first few lines and then decided your best help was to be negative, and I’m not really sure why that would be your approach to someone asking for help.

A little further and your “unroofed stick” assumption is unfounded as I stated I ordered a “10 inch cutting with bare roots” which I know will take time to develop, seeing as I don’t know the best stage to purchase a plant to being training I have purchased a few in different stages, but thanks for the try!

People usually have their location and zone in their profile, that is what he’s referring to. Try to have patience with people here, sometimes we do miss things as there’s a lot to read on many posts. Remember, you’ll catch more flies with honey than vinegar…@penumbra is a good one who is just trying to assist.

I like that you’ve gotten some projects going to work on while you learn. My goal was to learn how to keep many species that I’m interested in alive before diving into more expensive material. You’d do well to learn about the horticulture of trees also. The wiring and technical aspects of this art are a moot point if you can’t keep the trees alive! Learning when to do what, to specific varieties plays a big part.

Enjoy the journey and have patience with people, most everyone is here to share the same love and admiration for the same thing, trees and life!!!

Cheers 😎👍🏼

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now for your location, it makes it so much easier for these guys to help, but hey, do it your way. Your off to a fine start without his or my advice.

Says the sapling who hasn't gone into his own profile to set his own location ;)

Click on your avatar in the top right of the page header and select profile to set a location that appears under your avatar for every post. Nearest major metro and grow zone are very helpful to those offering advice...

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I am actually one of the least negative people you will ever meet. But I am direct, particularly with someone makes a mistake I have already made. I didn't buy my willow cuttings off Etsy to train into bonsai. I bought them to grow as willows. My experience with my 10 inch willow cuttings was not good, and expensive for the unrooted sticks I bought. I sincerely hope your experience is better my friend.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am actually one of the least negative people you will ever meet. But I am direct, particularly with someone makes a mistake I have already made. I didn't buy my willow cuttings off Etsy to train into bonsai. I bought them to grow as willows. My experience with my 10 inch willow cuttings was not good, and expensive for the unrooted sticks I bought. I sincerely hope your experience is better my friend.
Direct does not bother me….as we’ve all been taught “it’s not what you say, rather how you say it” I interpreted the initial message as a little snide and as deep sea diver stated my reaction to that was futile…..

By no means am I asking to be coddled

Being an enthusiast of many hobbies usually the first thing I do, regardless of my experience, Is seek out a forum for information.

this time I got a little giddy n jumped in blindly….it happens…..I hit the brakes and came to the best resource I could find at the moment and made my initial post.

I provided all of the information I knew would be asked, ie plant species & location, provided pics as well

was unaware how the profile worked but am more than glad to use it if it helps to make life easier for those I’m asking of help.

now that we got that out of the way…..I paid $10 for a cutting if it happens to be trash, I’ve wasted 10 bucks on far more inferior things in my 33 years…..

My approach to learning is about making mistakes so I’m not afraid of them, I don’t want to make a habit of making mistakes but I don’t want my path to be problem free, because how will I learn to deal with issues I never experience firsthand…..I can talk you through flying a plane all day long but when I throw you in the cockpit how much of that stuck? And how much of the “talk throughs” will translate into useful information for you?

thanks for the input I’m currently stuck in a wormhole of information and I appreciate it

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Direct does not bother me….as we’ve all been taught “it’s not what you say, rather how you say it” I interpreted the initial message as a little snide and as deep sea diver stated my reaction to that was futile…..

By no means am I asking to be coddled

Being an enthusiast of many hobbies usually the first thing I do, regardless of my experience, Is seek out a forum for information.

this time I got a little giddy n jumped in blindly….it happens…..I hit the brakes and came to the best resource I could find at the moment and made my initial post.

I provided all of the information I knew would be asked, ie plant species & location, provided pics as well

was unaware how the profile worked but am more than glad to use it if it helps to make life easier for those I’m asking of help.

now that we got that out of the way…..I paid $10 for a cutting if it happens to be trash, I’ve wasted 10 bucks on far more inferior things in my 33 years…..

My approach to learning is about making mistakes so I’m not afraid of them, I don’t want to make a habit of making mistakes but I don’t want my path to be problem free, because how will I learn to deal with issues I never experience firsthand…..I can talk you through flying a plane all day long but when I throw you in the cockpit how much of that stuck? And how much of the “talk throughs” will translate into useful information for you?

thanks for the input I’m currently stuck in a wormhole of information and I appreciate it

FWIW, willow is not a great choice for bonsai. $10 for a willow cutting is highway robbery--you can root your own with branch or branchlet or cutting in a buck of water...or just sticking it into a muddy place in the yard....

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Absolutely no worries!

btw: Thought you were further up north!

In any case I also wanted to let you know that the Pacific Bonsai Museum is beginning to offer basic classes, plant included, in April and succeeding months. It’s a good time to learn about basics while meeting some of the bonsai folks in the area and our club.…. while styling a bonsai from the get go.

Here’s the link to the first class.

cheers
DSD sends

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many years ago I lived on a property that had a huge Golden Curly Willow. I rooted cuttings directly in the ground that were 5 and 6 feet long.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to the nut house

"Wormhole of information" doesnt even begin to describe what you have gotten yourself into.

There is tons to learn which is one thing many of us love about bonsai. But it can be overwheming. Take it one step at a time and try not to overload yourself with too much. Youll get more comfortable with time.

Sweetyness

Seedling
Reaction score
He said Washington State north of Seattle. 😊

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I just decided to join my local bonsai club here in Chicago, Midwest Bonsai Society, haven't been to any of their meetings at the botanic gardens yet, but have been at the local chapter Chicago Bonsai Club meeting, and it was very pleasent, and got a nice Ficus retusa, which the person I got it from will assist in repotting it, plus I likely will be getting a Japanese pine from him as well.

So joining a club is an awesome idea, also provides something fun to do at least one evening a month and a chance to see some awesome trees, learn about them and likely get some fairly well started material for yourself, and have assistance with them.

That being said, like any group.... people will have their moments.

A good book is the little book of bonsai by Jonas Dupach... not sure on the spelling of his last name, but a great little book, and another I like is happy bonsai, can't remember whom it is by at the moment.

here is the ficus I got at the meeting this month, also here is the tool set I got off of amazon for $63.00. seems to be pretty well made and should be all thats needed for awhile, with an amazon screenshot link also.

Attachments

• better new ficus photo.jpg
    better new ficus photo.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 17
  • bonsai tool set.jpg
    bonsai tool set.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 14
  • amazon bonsai tool set.png
    amazon bonsai tool set.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 14
Top Bottom