Compost Mix for Pines in Development in Pots

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I know this subject is likely to encourage a whole swathe of responses with each enthusiast promoting their own soil mix! Climate and global location will have significant bearing on chosen compost, but I’d be interested to understand what you favour.

I’ve had a look at what Brent has listed in an article on Evergreen Garden Networks website and he recommends:

“Screened fir bark 1/4 to 3/8 inch size, eight parts screened perlite, one part peat moss, one half part vermiculite (optional). I also incorporate Osmocote time release fertilizer”

I wonder if this mix is for deciduous or pine trees?

Let me know your thoughts.

Andy

K_10_G

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have received both pines and deciduous from Brent. The above list looks like what he uses in conifers. Deciduous I noticed less perlite and more bark/organic, though that could have just been a difference from batch to batch.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would replace the vermiculite with cocopeat.
Vermiculite holds way too much water and you can find flakes of it decades later, because they tend to be reflective.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I believe that is Brent's conifer or pine mix.

Perlite is a light weight alternative to pumice. Pumice and Perlite are more or less interchangeable.

For deciduous he increases the amount of bark, possibly more peat too.

Both these mixes are for pre-bonsai that are not in formal bonsai pots. These are designed to hold enough water that you don't have to water twice a day in summer.

Top Bottom