Compost

Zachary Bourne

Seedling
Reaction score
I use compost and potting gravel for my bonsais and seem to work fine :) Is this ok to keep doing so? I just do not want to keep buying akadama and other soils when compost and some draining materials will do the same job

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I use compost and potting gravel for my bonsais and seem to work fine :) Is this ok to keep doing so? I just do not want to keep buying akadama and other soils when compost and some draining materials will do the same job

Well... there is a reason why no one else uses compost and potting gravel, and it isn't because they like to waste money :)

The best soil for your bonsai is influenced by where you live, and what species you are planting. However the golden rule that applies to just about ALL bonsai is - free-draining soil that maintains moisture yet doesn't compact, and limited organic matter.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
However the golden rule that applies to just about ALL bonsai is - free-draining soil that maintains moisture yet doesn't compact, and limited organic matter.

Unless you want 0 internode Quince, mine are all in 100 percent organic, still free draining :eek: So is every other plant here since I dropped inorganics... Just saying... :p

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Where do you live, what is your climate like?
What stage of development are your trees in?
Are your trees in training boxes or pots?
What kind of trees are you talking about?
How long have they been in this mix?
If you used inorganic as you seem to have, how did they do in that mix, and how long were they in it?

Too many variables for some sort of one fits all answer here.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hehe well you had to drop the bomb sooner or later :p

Each to there own path when it comes to soil and substrate, but I think I can safely say your just inviting headaches if you want to use potting soil.

There is a great article on soil on this site from markyscott. Here is a link to Graham potters info on soil and furts ( he's UK so close to home) http://www.kaizenbonsai.com/bonsai-tree-care-information/choosing-soil-for-bonsai-trees

Look up Walter Paul's take on modern bonsai soil, and the way he grows, see if it's right for you.

And if you want to go that route, there is cat litter you can use which is DE and quite inexpensive.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
LOL I didn't realize there was still such controversy :) Oh well... if it makes people happier let me just say 80% inorganic that doesn't break down into clay or fines, and 20% of rough screened organic containing a high percentage of rough cut peat... works for me in most cases :)

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
LOL I didn't realize there was still such controversy :) Oh well... if it makes people happier let me just say 80% inorganic that doesn't break down into clay or fines, and 20% of rough screened organic containing a high percentage of rough cut peat... works for me in most cases :)

A spot on approach, but I think a little understanding is key from the initial question :)

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You can get a tree to grow in almost anything as long as you understand what the tree requires to survive and the qualities of the soil. For me the soil issue is about trying to get the best/healthiest growth in the roots as well as the tree above the soil. You say yours if working fine but I bet with better soil (and proper fertilizing) your trees could grow even better.

I actually know a local guy that uses about 50/50 compost/inorganics for his bonsai trees. He is set in his ways and won't change. His trees grow ok and they do look decent. I watched him repot once and the roots did not look very good. Fine root growth was very minimal.

Best of luck to you.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, I said I was staying out of this one... but... in my experience, soil mixes heavy in organics work well in large and deep containers, like a nursery container. Everything I grow out in nursery cans have lots of soil conditioner added. Do this in a shallow pot and the soil compacts and stays too wet too for your typical bonsai root system (water elms and bald cypresses excluded). Just my experience...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, I said I was staying out of this one... but... in my experience, soil mixes heavy in organics work well in large and deep containers, like a nursery container. Everything I grow out in nursery cans have lots of soil conditioner added. Do this in a shallow pot and the soil compacts and stays too wet too for your typical bonsai root system (water elms and bald cypresses excluded). Just my experience...
Which is why I asked questions about what he has, and in what level of development, and containers they are in. As well as where he is.
I saw that he posted in new to bonsai, so maybe I was wrong to assume that he has used inorganics to compare results with. The comment about continuing to buy Akadama was what I was basing this on.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
50 to 50 - compost to non porous inorganic might be a bit too much as water retention goes.

Our max is 30 compost to 70 non porous 5 mm inorganic.

**********Again ---- compost holds 20 times it's weight in water.***********
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We can mix 30 /70 - 5 mm inorganic for repotting in our 6 month no rain Dry Season.
Hand watering and no rain, allows the roots to master the pot, before
any wet weather returns.

For very thirsty trees the 70 inorganic can have a % of 5 mm crushed red brick [ porous ]
I believe the red brick = red lava.

Our inorganic ingredients are too hard for roots to crush.

Time in use almost 39 years and we did a deep into the root area check a few years back.
As expected, inorganic sound, and roots remained as thin/fine and fine feeders.

It is the 6 months no rain that allows us to do what we do.
Good Day
Anthony

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use a mix of dimonds, platinum and gold nuggets in about even parts all sifted to be 1/8" - 1/4". My inorganic component is about 20% chopped $100 bills. I have been told that I can reuse my old mix if I sift and add more ground $100s but I don't want to risk it. I just throw everything out and start with new at each repotting.

Also if I'm developing material in a grow box I sometimes reduce the amount of gold and increase the percent diamonds. The big boxes just can't hold up to the weight.

Seriously though just do a search and you will find more information than you would ever need.

You can find a pretty good discussion here: Some facts about bonsai soil

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
I use a mix of dimonds, platinum and gold nuggets in about even parts all sifted to be 1/8" - 1/4". My inorganic component is about 20% chopped $100 bills. I have been told that I can reuse my old mix if I sift and add more ground $100s but I don't want to risk it. I just throw everything out and start with new at each repotting..................

let me take a shot at translating that ,

Diamonds = Red Lava Rock
Platinum = Akadama
Gold Nuggets = Pumice
Chopped $100's = Pine/Fur Bark

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
When I give talks about growing orchids, and the subject of potting media comes up, what I tell the orchid people holds well for bonsai. "You can grow bonsai in just about anything, IF you understand how to water that media, and how the water you use, the media you use, the shape and size of the pot you use, and the fertilizer you use interact. If you understand all these factors interact, you can use whatever you want."

If you do not understand all this, then follow the advice of someone who is successful, has bonsai you have seen that look healthy, someone who is growing in a climate similar to your own. Evaluate their advise, try to see how the factors listed above interact. Then try out their suggestions.

Compost is a perfectly good addition to a growing media in certain situations. It is not a component for all situations, I mostly use it in the vegetable garden.

Top Bottom