Concave cutter & Sieve recommendations?

chuckwc1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have chopsticks, root rake, pliers, and two pairs of serviceable scissors. I'm thinking the the two things I should get before spring work begins is a sieve for my pumice, and a concave cutter. Thinking of spending ~$80 on the cutters, and trying to find something cheap for the sifting. What are your recommendations?

Thinking of getting these Kaneshin cutters right now: https://www.easternleaf.com/product-p/127330-01.htm
And this sieve: https://www.easternleaf.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=110920-01

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have a set of sieves like that a d never use them. I instead got a pair on Amazon that fit thentop of a 5 gal bucket from Lowes so I can sift right into the bucket I use for storage. Much easier to use a d not as flimsy as the Eastern Leaf version. For wire cutters you an use ones form the hardware store but the bonsai versions are designed for cutting close to the bark without damaging it. Mine are not expensive, simple black steel, but do the job. I got a pair of jin pliers with them and use them almsot as much as my pruners. I looked at the Eastern Leaf curved pruners then found ones almost the same on Amazon for about half that price. I wish I had gotten these years ago but have inly recently found them. The straight edged ones are good but the curved edge ones give you a better cut that will heal over with a smoother bark. I’ll look nack at my purchase history and see if I can find specifics.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I couldn’t find the sieves but they are heavy green plastic with the screen mesh embedded in it. For the cutters search Amazon for

Round Edge Cutter Tian Bonsa Tools Master Quality Stainless Steel​

I don’t recommend the sets as they often dump stuff in there that they can’t sell otherwise or are useless. Pick what you need and buy individuals unless you find a good set that fills all your needs.

Last edited:

chuckwc1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have a set of sieves like that a d never use them. I instead got a pair on Amazon that fit thentop of a 5 gal bucket from Lowes so I can sift right into the bucket I use for storage. Much easier to use a d not as flimsy as the Eastern Leaf version. For wire cutters you an use ones form the hardware store but the bonsai versions are designed for cutting close to the bark without damaging it. Mine are not expensive, simple black steel, but do the job. I got a pair of jin pliers with them and use them almsot as much as my pruners. I looked at the Eastern Leaf curved pruners then found ones almost the same on Amazon for about half that price. I wish I had gotten these years ago but have inly recently found them. The straight edged ones are good but the curved edge ones give you a better cut that will heal over with a smoother bark. I’ll look nack at my purchase history and see if I can find specifics.
Is this the brand of the sieve you use? I checked amazon, but so many of the cheap sifters don't say what size the mesh is.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, those are the ones. I think I got the 1/8” and 1/4”. That way I can nest them on the bucket and sift it all in one pass or break it out if I want. That way I can get <1/8”, 1/8-1/4”, and >1/4”. I swear when I bought them a couple of years ago they were about half that price but the Amazon price is a little less than the same stuff on eBay.

chuckwc1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Yes, those are the ones. I think I got the 1/8” and 1/4”. That way I can nest them on the bucket and sift it all in one pass or break it out if I want. That way I can get <1/8”, 1/8-1/4”, and >1/4”. I swear when I bought them a couple of years ago they were about half that price but the Amazon price is a little less than the same stuff on eBay.
Just in case anyone down the road is looking for them:
The 1/8th: https://www.amazon.com/SE-GP2-18-Patented-Stackable-Sifting/dp/B008B0TJAI?ref_=ast_sto_dp
The 1/4th: https://www.amazon.com/SE-GP2-14-Patented-Stackable-Sifting/dp/B008B0T5Z2?ref_=ast_sto_dp

What do you use the three different sizes all for?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The <1/8” can be used with shohin and smaller trees, and some use it for a surface dressing. The 1/8-1/4” is my standard bonsai soil. The >1/4” can be for a drainage layer or it just gets tossed in the flower beds although I have used it when recovering collected species that like a well drained mix. My yew and Austrian pine are in pure pumice with the large stuff included.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah mine is similar to that, but I got it at a gold mining store near my house. I really haven’t used it in a while because I built my on out of wood and attached wheels to the bottom, built a rail and all I have to do is push back and forth. Easy peasy

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yeah mine is similar to that, but I got it at a gold mining store near my house. I really haven’t used it in a while because I built my on out of wood and attached wheels to the bottom, built a rail and all I have to do is push back and forth. Easy peasy
I got my classifiers at a prospecting store too.
I have chopsticks, root rake, pliers, and two pairs of serviceable scissors. I'm thinking the the two things I should get before spring work begins is a sieve for my pumice, and a concave cutter. Thinking of spending ~$80 on the cutters, and trying to find something cheap for the sifting. What are your recommendations?

Thinking of getting these Kaneshin cutters right now: https://www.easternleaf.com/product-p/127330-01.htm
And this sieve: https://www.easternleaf.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=110920-01
I found a decent pair of stainless concave cutters on amazon for $42👇

Round Edge Cutter Tian Bonsa... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075LKBDFX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Care to share a picture of your setup? This 35 yr old is looking for smarter ways of doing things that doesn't kill my body.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jonas has good screen sets and reasonable. One frame 3 interchangable screens. Love it. Also have very good Ryuga wire cutter, knob cutter and unduly expensive pair of concave cutters another brand:).

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’ve been happy with these:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The <1/8” can be used with shohin and smaller trees, and some use it for a surface dressing. The 1/8-1/4” is my standard bonsai soil. The >1/4” can be for a drainage layer or it just gets tossed in the flower beds although I have used it when recovering collected species that like a well drained mix. My yew and Austrian pine are in pure pumice with the large stuff included.
Sounds like we’re a good match. I throw away everything smaller than 1/8” and use the 1/8”-1/4” for my shohin trees. I always have way to much in that size range because I only have a few shohin trees (and they don’t use much soil). My standard soil is ~1/4”-3/8” and >3/8” I use for a drainage layer. Maybe we can trade the stuff each of us is throwing away. Lol

- S

mike3m

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just bought some entry level tools and sieve from Stone Lantern, they're offering some big discounts right now, pleased with value for the money....

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Get a good tool set.. I recommend looking at Bonsai tonight’s shop. Kaneshin tools are one of the best.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
@Jeramiah owns Sumo Bonsai and sells Kaneshin. I bought stainless steel concave cutters from him (High humidity and lot of rain where I live and felt the extra $ spent on stainless was worth it.) They are sharp! and Jeramiah is great and patient with any questions you may have.

I don't like cheap 'anything'. I don't want to buy something cheap and then end up having to buy the same thing again because the first thing was crap.

Top Bottom