Concave Cutter: What the hell is this?

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
I bought this Concave Cutter about 3 years ago. It was fine. But I just pulled it out to prune off a couple of thick, lower branches on my Feijoa bonsai. I don't remember dropping it or having a car run over it. I'm not happy today and I don't think that I can correct it. Or can I?

Concave Cutter.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought this Concave Cutter about 3 years ago. It was fine. But I just pulled it out to prune off a couple of thick, lower branches on my Feijoa bonsai. I don't remember dropping it or having a car run over it. I'm not happy today and I don't think that I can correct it. Or can I?

View attachment 83529

That's Probly not the best pic.

Where's the stop? It looks like the stop got bent in, causing it to roll on the round and not close.

You would have to knock the stop back, and retighten the bolt.

Sorce

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
That's Probly not the best pic.

Where's the stop? It looks like the stop got bent in, causing it to roll on the round and not close.

You would have to knock the stop back, and retighten the bolt.

Sorce
Oh, I see. I was concentrating on the “under bite” of the jaw and the gap at the tip. If I adjust the “stop” do you think the uneven bite will also be corrected? Maybe it's like adjusting the door of a car ….. if you move it “just there” something “over there” gets out of whack?

Concave Cutter 02.JPG Concave Cutter 04.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh, I see. I was concentrating on the “under bite” of the jaw and the gap at the tip. If I adjust the “stop” do you think the uneven bite will also be corrected? Maybe it's like adjusting the door of a car ….. if you move it “just there” something “over there” gets out of whack?

View attachment 83530 View attachment 83531

The stop looks solid. Probly good.

What's the other side of the hinge look like? Can you tighten it?

Looks like it did get bent.

Sorce

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It is crooked because the blades got bent trying to cut something too large. I do not know of any easy fix. The blades look a bit nicked up as well which indicates soft steel. Do you know what brand these cutters are?

The only remedy I know of is to buy a new tool. When you get a new one, do not try to use these to cut very large branches. Let a saw do that work, and use this to "chick away" at the knob left until you get it flush.

Try Kaneshin! I really like their stuff.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, a lot of people don't like the curved concave cutters. (The combo knob cutter and concave cutter).

And, as others have mentioned, these are "nibbler" tools.

I don't have one of these combo tools. I have a concave cutter, and a knob cutter.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All I have is concave cutters and don't hardly use them. Only to nibble at larger stubs. I use bypass cutters and a saw for most cutting. And my wire cutters clip off small branches quite nicely too.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amen to those.

Someone reiterated somewhere that these are to cut twigs. This is true.
Not much good for anything else.

Time for another Kaneshin order for me too! Probly knob cutters, scissors, and a saw.

Sorce

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
I have to agree with everyone here. It does looks both bent and the cutting edge damaged. I can't explain either problem. I might have dropped it and don't remember and I might have lopped off a branch once and caught a wire inadvertently …. but then the steel would be awfully soft, as you already pointed out.

The hinge is non-adjustable so the only thing I can try to do is tweak it with a pliers or tap it with a hammer. I'm not very optimistic that I will make any improvement that way. Maybe I should resign myself to buying a new one.

It was imported from China and here is a close-upConcave Cutter 04.JPG of the manufacturer's stamp. So go ahead and tell me that I should have bought one made in Japan and put me out of my misery. :cool:

Concave Cutter 04.JPG

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Sometimes it's the hinge pin that gets bent, and if you can turn it, you may eventually find the position that brings the cutting edges together again. Then it's a matter of straightening the hinge pin.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have to agree with everyone here. It does looks both bent and the cutting edge damaged. I can't explain either problem. I might have dropped it and don't remember and I might have lopped off a branch once and caught a wire inadvertently …. but then the steel would be awfully soft, as you already pointed out.

The hinge is non-adjustable so the only thing I can try to do is tweak it with a pliers or tap it with a hammer. I'm not very optimistic that I will make any improvement that way. Maybe I should resign myself to buying a new one.

It was imported from China and here is a close-upView attachment 83551 of the manufacturer's stamp. So go ahead and tell me that I should have bought one made in Japan and put me out of my misery. :cool:

View attachment 83551

Better New than damaging trees!

Bronze em!

Sorce

johnegert

Seedling
Reaction score
Nebari-san---- I fear that unless you are up for some blacksmithing, you're screwed. This whole business of Chinese vs. Japanese tools has been an issue for years, and the truth is that lots of Chinese tools , though attractively cheap, were utterly useless. So, I was thrilled when Tian began selling stainless Chinese tools that seemed very good--- I gave them good reviews on Amazon. Since then, one of our Clubbies who works on larger material used a Tian trunk splitter to peel dead wood, and turned it into a stainless pretzel. I still like their look and feel, but probably best used for smaller material....
As you know, these kuikiri/concaves were designed to make a cut that would heal more rapidly and attractively, but they were misused on conifers, where concave cuts should almost never be made, and for chewing on large trunk/branch cuts, which caused the kind of trouble you have now. As an analogy, my ex-wife used to buy cheap vacuum cleaners, which broke after a short time, at which point she'd buy another cheap vacuum. I always wondered why she didn't just buy one good machine that would last.............. note the "ex".......
john

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Nebari-san---- I fear that unless you are up for some blacksmithing, you're screwed. This whole business of Chinese vs. Japanese tools has been an issue for years, and the truth is that lots of Chinese tools , though attractively cheap, were utterly useless. So, I was thrilled when Tian began selling stainless Chinese tools that seemed very good--- I gave them good reviews on Amazon. Since then, one of our Clubbies who works on larger material used a Tian trunk splitter to peel dead wood, and turned it into a stainless pretzel. I still like their look and feel, but probably best used for smaller material....
As you know, these kuikiri/concaves were designed to make a cut that would heal more rapidly and attractively, but they were misused on conifers, where concave cuts should almost never be made, and for chewing on large trunk/branch cuts, which caused the kind of trouble you have now. As an analogy, my ex-wife used to buy cheap vacuum cleaners, which broke after a short time, at which point she'd buy another cheap vacuum. I always wondered why she didn't just buy one good machine that would last.............. note the "ex".......
john
I hope you didn't divorce her over the Hoover. Very good. I didn't know all of that. It is difficult to believe that such a stout and sturdy-feeling hand tool can twist itself so easily but that is apparently what has happened. Yes, I've seen the general ”down on Chinese products” slander but I did read one article claiming that they are not ALL bad. I even purchased a couple of Meec electric tools in the meantime. But OK it is time for me to jump on the wagon and pick meself up a Nihon quality piece of work. My wife and child might have go barefoot all this winter but I'm going to scrape out my savings and do it.

Thanks a ton

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it was bent out of shape, it can be bent back again. Clamp it a vice and carefully bend and straighten it again. I regularly do it with my tools. These steels generally aren't hardened to brittle stage. They can be manipulated with care.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
If it was bent out of shape, it can be bent back again. Clamp it a vice and carefully bend and straighten it again. I regularly do it with my tools. These steels generally aren't hardened to brittle stage. They can be manipulated with care.
I was thinking the same thing. If it was so easy to "get bent" it might be just as easy to "get straight" again. It all depends upon how dexterous and careful I am. I will try, but in the meantime I am on the lookout for a new and better quality one so maybe this won't happen again. :D

Top Bottom