Concrete hollow patch.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw Peter Tea do this with a trident.

Having some concrete left over from my pot project, I decided why not.

Heres the hole. This is part of my OG Benjamin. Sentimental practice material, emphasis on the mental. It's In a pot poured haphazardly of hydraulic cement.

20151015_050451.jpg 20151015_050537.jpg
There's the taper Im trying to preserve.

Here's my little bag'o'doo!
If it was in blue plastic it would look more like dog doo. Does every state have those Blue Bags? Or is it just here?20151015_051047.jpg
There I left it to harden while I posted the F judge! Oops, lil more water and I cut the side of the bag and squeezed it in the hole like a pastry chef.

20151015_052637.jpg
A little clean up with a wet qtip.
20151015_052727.jpg

And that's it. When it sets, Ill update with an edge cutting!

I know this is soooo suspenseful, you must be right on the edge of your seat!

The takeaway.....
I'm doing this at 5:30AM. Before work. On a whole pot of coffee since 2AM.
I'm noticing more and more that in order to have good trees you must DO.

Like Tred Barta says.
"Do the work"

Sorce

Last edited:

Umeboshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I did the same thing last year with a JM with a hollow that had rotted down to the soil line. I covered with cut paste after. Some areas (it's a quite large hollow) are rolling over nicely. Others I had to go back and shave back to live tissue this year. Since your working with a ficus, that should heal over quite quickly.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Did this with an old red Maple that had a hole that was starting to rot... Hasn't healed over as fast as I hoped. I think I need to add a bit more cement to get it higher, and seal it again with cut paste...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did the same thing last year with a JM with a hollow that had rotted down to the soil line. I covered with cut paste after. Some areas (it's a quite large hollow) are rolling over nicely. Others I had to go back and shave back to live tissue this year. Since your working with a ficus, that should heal over quite quickly.
Did this with an old red Maple that had a hole that was starting to rot... Hasn't healed over as fast as I hoped. I think I need to add a bit more cement to get it higher, and seal it again with cut paste...

Sorry I cant semi quote on this tablet!

Please post some pics here! We can keep track of them!

Sorce

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the technique... So why do you do this? Stop rotting? Tree also becomes heavier and less chance of wind tipping it over :p

Show us the pot project!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Seems like it would be easy to remove when the time comes. Also, what a night! Way to avoid routine and monotony, unless of course that's a typical 2 to 5 am for you.

Umeboshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Please post some pics here! We can keep track of them!
Sorce

Here ya go...

The front (yes, she is an ugly pig)

DSC_0208a.JPG

and the even uglier back with two giant hollows filled with concrete covered over in cut paste (I give it 10 years before close to closing over)

DSC_0216a.JPG

You can see that the bottom hollow has callused over about 1/4"+ due to the active branch right above. More branching should accelerate healing at other points as well.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice.

Ugly now, but there is an interesting Trunk line happening there.

Thanks for the look!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry fellas, I missed all those posts between the quotes.

I was just thinking epoxy next time for sure!

I put a small bucket in a big bucket and poured the hydraulic cement in. The small one was cocked on the inside so one side is thin which I busted out for drainage. Real hillbilly shit!

20151103_201811.jpg

I covered it.
20151103_202219.jpg

This one might find an outside spot for next summer! Speed this along a bit, and it's my 2nd best ficus.

Sorce

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey @klosi I posted some pics of this things figs on Steve C's thread...

Got a couple more of the hillbilly pot project for ya. Note the thinning rim.
And big one hole!

This thing grows great in here!
20160113_205440.jpg

20160113_205525.jpg
I got a piece of my pot mesh in there...

20160113_205550.jpg
Not bad to have buds low..not where I need em....but puttin on is puttin on indoors!
20160113_205620.jpg
Another wound I tried to un F. It'll be a while till I can see how it's doing...the top was rolling nice....the bottom....we'll see.

20160113_205607.jpg
This is cracking a bit...looks like it's moving underneath....I try to not wet it....
But it gets a lil wet....

So far so good I reckon!

Sorce

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce,

with ficus, an extension branch will heal that type of wound. Or you can try indoor / outdoor glue with an inert non porous material or
the chemical version of wood putty.
If I get the chance I will show you something -------------------- strange.
It's ficus ----------- stay tuned.
Good Day
Anthony

* Please keep that effort going, it is very attractive !!!:cool::cool::cool:
__________________________________________:cool:

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
Sorce bro!! I can see where you are going with this tree :) like it! do you feed that fig?
i once had a natalensis, before I defoliated it I fed it an extreme dose of 30-10-10 fert, i had to trim it at least once a week for about three weeks thereafter. might be the solution to your back budding prob of getting the right limbs in the right places. feed it then cut back hard :) maybe only after the wound has healed and the next section of trunk achieves the girth you want it to be

bestest
Herman

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sorce bro!! I can see where you are going with this tree :) like it! do you feed that fig?
i once had a natalensis, before I defoliated it I fed it an extreme dose of 30-10-10 fert, i had to trim it at least once a week for about three weeks thereafter. might be the solution to your back budding prob of getting the right limbs in the right places. feed it then cut back hard :) maybe only after the wound has healed and the next section of trunk achieves the girth you want it to be

bestest
Herman
I agree with Herman, feed heavy then cut back hard, that's what I've been doing with this guy in the middle of this pic and he back budds everywhere almost so much it's annoying.20151222_084427.jpg

Aaron

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Truth truth.....

I been letting this one more or less just run.....

And it backbuds more than any!

I gave it a tip trimmin a while back....just to activate some action....
And it put on all those lil twigs....

As of late.....I been watering about every third day....before it got to single digits outside, it was every 5th day or so, but the heat on constant, dries em out mad faster...

Anyway....been feeding vigoro 101010...MG 277 cactus drops.....and even the fish lately! Every other watering.

@Anthony when I look at this tree it reminds me of yours!

@YukiShiro @aml1014 @Anthony

Great thanks for the Chitty And Chatty!
I'm crazy excited to talk tree!

aviary-image-1452784574187.jpeg
I intend to allow both of those branches to keep going until I have a decent transition from the bottom, to the first segment...

Then, that major cut will be at the red line...so far...so those yeller sprouts can be a new lead, and maybe another branch even...as there is 3 branches there.

The Orange will be left to continue thickening that segment, and possibly become the canopy as I like how it swerves down and around.

Anywho....it'll be all by ear really, so anything you want to put in it is greatly appreciated!

Thanks Guys!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found an old tablet pic.
IMAG3390.jpg
From 7/13/2013

The big branch is the other wound.
The small one was cut off.
The middle one is what is now the top.