Concrete rectangle pot

Generic User

Sapling
Reaction score
Thought some of you might like to see my latest pot. It isn't clear bottom pot but I had fun making the forms to my design and I ended up learning a bunch, especially not what to do. Next time I make a pot it should go smooth and perhaps with luck I will be able to make something very nice. If you would like a svg file for design let me know. Have a good day. Many thanks, E

Attachments

• 20181118_211704.jpg
    20181118_211704.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 20181125_170703.jpg
    20181125_170703.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 143
  • 20181118_211604.jpg
    20181118_211604.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 20181119_130637.jpg
    20181119_130637.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 20181119_130518.jpg
    20181119_130518.jpg
    576.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 20181119_130627.jpg
    20181119_130627.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 104

Generic User

Sapling
Reaction score
That’s pretty cool, I like it. I bet it is super heavy though.
Thanks, Its likely 15-20lbs. The base is much too thick. I used foam for the center void and filled the form upside down. Silly thing is the foam couldn't hold the weight and kept sinking and I didn't know it was being smashed down so I kept adding more. Bottom is nearly 2" thick. Lol next time... clear bottom. That will lighten it up

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool, I was planning on doing something similar next summer. I was going to get my mold built this winter.
My only recommendation would be to add feet.
Thanks for sharing your work,

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, Its likely 15-20lbs. The base is much too thick. I used foam for the center void and filled the form upside down. Silly thing is the foam couldn't hold the weight and kept sinking and I didn't know it was being smashed down so I kept adding more. Bottom is nearly 2" thick. Lol next time... clear bottom. That will lighten it up

LOL! Has built in patina/looks ancient;).

Generic User

Sapling
Reaction score
LOL! Has built in patina/looks ancient;).
lol. Sloppy results is best made to look old I suppose. Not that I was trying to go for look though. I spent hours on the wood forms. Imo the forms turned out better looking. ;)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Really, not bad at all for a concrete pot. Most efforts I've seen look a lot worse than yours. The form design is really pretty good.
Indeed, adding feet would be the next level improvement. I did not see a pic of the interior, wanted to see how the drainage holes came out.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I totally agree with Leo.
The single most important thing in your original post was “I had fun”. Good for you!
If you let it cure until it’s really dry [this one or your next effort], for like six months, you can do a lot of detail clean-up with a Dremel tool or grinder on the edges. Before that, concrete will chip a lot more, and efforts to clean it up can make it look worse.

Generic User

Sapling
Reaction score
Really, not bad at all for a concrete pot. Most efforts I've seen look a lot worse than yours. The form design is really pretty good.
Indeed, adding feet would be the next level improvement. I did not see a pic of the interior, wanted to see how the drainage holes came out.
Thanks, when I do another similar one I wont
I drilled them before it hardened and again after the patina. Thanks, I think the design has potential.

Attachments

• 20181126_174119.jpg
    20181126_174119.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 89

Generic User

Sapling
Reaction score
I totally agree with Leo.
The single most important thing in your original post was “I had fun”. Good for you!
If you let it cure until it’s really dry [this one or your next effort], for like six months, you can do a lot of detail clean-up with a Dremel tool or grinder on the edges. Before that, concrete will chip a lot more, and efforts to clean it up can make it look worse.
Thanks for the advice. I'm starting to practice patients with everything more. Even though I'm new to Bonsai, it teaches me patients with everything I do. It's kinda like Bonsai is becoming my best therapist and is also helping me cope through creativity. I feel really fortunate to have found a Bonsai book at the library. At the same time I have to make sure I go at this slowly, so I'm limiting Bonsai to 2 days a week until I understand what I want achieve.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I really do like the form pattern, I would like to see you make more with the same form. Just figure out how to add feet.

I would add the feet, in slightly from the outer edge, so they are underneath the pot. Inset just a few millimeters from the outer edge of the pot.

Generic User

Sapling
Reaction score
2nd attempt came out better. The lines and detail looks crisp and great. Nylon worked well but I used wood for the inside form and it expanded from the moisture of the concrete. All corners cracked. Next time I'll make all the forms from clear acrylic so nothing expands and I will be able to see air bubbles. Im learning. 3rd attempt should go perfect.

Attachments

• 20181209_225616.jpg
    20181209_225616.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 20181204_124218.jpg
    20181204_124218.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Generic User

Sapling
Reaction score

Generic User

Sapling
Reaction score
Would you mind if I steal this idea?
Of course not, Please use design however you wish. Improve upon it if you like with your creativity.
Have fun if you wish. This design is only my third pot ever made and I let Nature decide how it should look. I used coin flip to decide every decision on layout. I said if coin lands on this side I go with this style here. I flipped coin many times to make many decisions and this is result. I make 2 of these now, I like how look. In way it reminds me of calm symmetry and in another way I see ancient Roman column influence. But I imagine a big Yamadori in it. Sometimes I see the little rectangles as the wall dividers in Japanese house with rice paper. Much design improvement can be done.

Last edited:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm just going to use the idea + WD40 to make the wood release more easily. I found that WD40 or sunflower oil helps prevent the concrete from sticking to the sides.

Top Bottom