Conifer/evergreens

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
Wasn't sure we're else to post this and well I am still new so... Gonna be hitting a nursery tomorrow for somethings and wanted to know some of the best conifers/evergreens for formal upright, informal and forest to keep a eye out for. Thanks!

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Look at photos and figure out the ones you like. Try to find some videos and see what other people are using. Why limit yourself to certain tree types? Your in Florida, you don't like deciduous or tropicals?

The best ones are what you can find and can keep alive. Keep in mind your zone. Some trees might not survive in your climate.

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
I have looked at pics like, a gazillion lol after a while it all starts to just bend together. I do like deciduous and tropicals I actually already have 4 tropicals but only one deciduous. I am currently kicking the tires on buying two more. Another Chinese elm and a loropetulum prebonsai. Thing is that when it comes to those I already have a decent idea of what and what not to buy. With the evergreens it's a harder for me to know cuz there's so many different varietys of species with the slightest variations that can make one good marital and another very similar not. So instead of spending days trying to learn which are good and which aren't I figured I would just ask the pros for they're opinion that way I could just wip out my phone and look at a message with a list of what's good to get.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m certainly not knowledgeable about conifers for Florida. But recommend starting with a bonsai nursery to understand what works in your area. Wigerts in Ft Myers sells Shimpaku Junipers and Schley’s in Deland sells Japanese Black Pine.

Maybe some FL grower’s can chime in, @StoneCloud , @Jarath ?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are a few junipers that I know people from Florida use.
Parsons and procumbens come to mind maybe even shimpaku. Strangely enough they work way up here in Michigan.
As for pines I'm not sure. Look around your area and see if any are growing around you.
Also check out Bald Cypress.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Anybody wanna throw me a bone here?
There may be some hesitation because the perception is someone who won’t do the research probably won’t do the work required with this hobby. The next bones to throw you will be labeled: watering, feeding, pruning, wiring, pest problems, and dying bonsai. All of these bones are on this site, free for you to find and try.

What have you come up with so far? What evergreens and conifers grow in your area? What nursery are you hitting?

A bone for you too: try a Torulosa.

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
I can assure you a lack of research is not the issue. Honestly it's starting to consume my personal life lol. But I much rather spend the time researching and plants that I actually own and/ or plan on owning or at least ones that are actually trainable to then decided if that particular species would thrive in my area or not. I'm not looking to buy plants that are already in training or that's not what this post is about anyways. (already working on buying a couple from a grower not far from) I'm looking to just pic out a nursery stock evergreen. Figured it would be a good idea to ask what the vets had to say. Also regardless how much research you do nothing beats actually discussing it with a human that is experienced and knowledgeable on the topic at had

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
There are a few junipers that I know people from Florida use.
Parsons and procumbens come to mind maybe even shimpaku. Strangely enough they work way up here in Michigan.
As for pines I'm not sure. Look around your area and see if any are growing around you.
Also check out Bald Cypress.
Thanks yeah I really like the bald cypress especially for a formal upright. Seems like it thrives in my climate. That's one I've actually have had my eye on just haven't Cam across one yet. Thanks for the input I'll check out those junipers as well

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If shopping nursery look in back for old/neglected interesting(usually cheaper)material. Local places likely to only sell trees for local climate;).

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
If shopping nursery look in back for old/neglected interesting(usually cheaper)material. Local places likely to only sell trees for local climate;).
Yeah I love the discount rack! And I agree that they normally sell what grows locally that's what I was asking what's actually trainable! Thanks for the input!

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would go for JBP and bald cypress. For those I wouldn't even bother going to a regular nursery. Well, maybe the bald cypress if you are willing to grow it out. Look for a dedicated bonsai nursery. You might need to do a bit of leg work and part with some cash but you will be much better off if you do.

Yeah I love the discount rack!

Just because it is cheep does not mean it is a good deal. For the most part anything on the discount rack is either near death or deformed.

Top Bottom