Conifer idenrification

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It looks like some species of picea. picea abies?
The cones look to big to be picea rubens or picea mariana

Last edited:

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
identifying spruce IMO is very difficult and I'm a pro with some genus. Picea abies is a good guess since they're planted all over the place ornamentals

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I pulled the cones off of the tree, and they had a pretty decent tug to them. Do you think they are even ready to germinate or they still needed time to mature?

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good material? Would I be wasting time working on this species, or are they good bonsai subjects?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Walter Pall seems to own a bunch of those if you're looking for examples.
I like them! I have two picea abies.

Don't count on a lot of backbudding, work with what you have. But they're a very nice species to work with imho.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Picea abies - Norway spruce. Once the bracts of the cone separate the seed starts falling out. Those bracts are at least partially open. Lift a few, see if you see the winged seed attached to the underside of the bract. Usually 2 seeds on the underside of each bract. Some bracts will still have seed, most probably has fallen out.

Norway spruce makes fairly decent bonsai. Gets ignored in North America because it is overplanted as a landscape plant, and as such gets yawns of boredom from most people. ALso North America has a number of really nice for bonsai native spruces. For example Engelmann Spruce, Colorado blue spruce, Black Hills Spruce & others. But there is nothing wrong with Picea abies, as Walter Pall's trees serve to demonstrate.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Good material? Would I be wasting time working on this species, or are they good bonsai subjects?
Honestly? I think you are wasting your time trying to grow bonsai from seed. Unless you are 15 and have a lifetime ahead of you. IMHO

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Honestly? I think you are wasting your time trying to grow bonsai from seed. Unless you are 15 and have a lifetime ahead of you. IMHO
And honestly, in an other 16 years do you know how badly I would regret not starting all of these seeds? Crap, I would feel bad next year. I myswell try.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Hopefully that is the reason I am having kids for someday :/

Kids!!!! Always the ungrateful bastards will never get interested in bonsai. Seriously, it is a mistake to assume any of your kids would get interested in your hobby. Sometimes they do, but it is much more rare than you might think.

But in time you will make "bonsai friends" and possibly even mentor a bonsai novice or two, and as they learn, you will move trees along, out of your collection to someone else. Don't think of your collection of trees as being "until death do we part", think of yourself as temporary custodian. Plan on moving everything along at some point before you are too old to take care of them. Think trees come, trees go. And then there is the buy-sell-swap-trade. I always have a tree coming or going.

With seedlings, you are bringing them through a phase of their development. And if you really are only 16, you have many many good years ahead of you to develop seedlings. And if you are my age, over 65, I still start seedlings. And damn it, I intend to see them at the Nationals some 30 years from now.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While not growing Bonsai my dear departed father did garden. Hybridizing Iris, growing different flowering plants and vegetables. He loved flowers and growing things. Also I grew some flowers I thought pretty. When 11-12 years on a library trip to get a turtle book a Bonsai display caught my fancy, A Vine Maple grove about this time of year. So beautiful 🥰. This was 62 years past. Mom and Dad both loved flowers and growing things. I still do and bless them for it🤗.

Top Bottom