Conifer Kingdom

mdavis27

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Has anyone ever ordered from conifer kingdom with the intention of creating bonsai from their stock? None of the nurseries near me seem to carry maples, and they have a very wide variety to choose from so I was curious to see if anyone had any luck/good experiences doing so.

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I’ve ordered from there. They were all grafts. Disappointing

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have bought from them, though not maples.
I consider them a 'trusted vendor' in the sense that I had no troubles with my purchase, they maintain a high profile presence, and they've been around for several years now.

Regarding Japanese maples, you will only find ungrafted ones at specialty growers such as evergreengardenworks.com, internationalbonsai.com, kaedebonsai-en, or kingsvillegrower nursery. Generally, if you know the variety can be layered, you can get more thickness and size for your $$ buying a maple from a place like Conifer Kingdom than one of these specialty growers.

Personally, I think the generic green acer palmatum used for the root stocks is great for bonsai. One can frequently find high grafted mediocre varieties on end of the season sales at garden centers, including the big box stores', for less than the price of a rooted cutting. One could just take one of these home and chop off the cultivar next spring.

Last edited:

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Has anyone ever ordered from conifer kingdom with the intention of creating bonsai from their stock? None of the nurseries near me seem to carry maples, and they have a very wide variety to choose from so I was curious to see if anyone had any luck/good experiences doing so.
I got a ginkgo from a local nursery (which is not specifically a bonsai nursery), and it had a conifer kingdom tag. Later that week I was looking at some junipers and pines and they too had CK tags (talk about about designer's tree!) it seems like they know what they are doing, my tree is still in the nursery pot it came in, so I'm not sure if the tree is hiding an ugly graft scar below the soil surface (it probably is).

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thing is, most JP are grafted so regardless of who you buy from expect it, unless it is from one of the growers that specializes in rooting JM.
Many JM can only be propagated by grafting. Don't be upset for buying a grafted maple from any grower that offers these grafted plants. All the JM growers graft maples. Buy from a bonsai grower or someone who specializes in maples from cuttings. If I am in doubt, whether it is a maple, a ginkgo, or a conifer, I ask.

mdavis27

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thing is, most JP are grafted so regardless of who you buy from expect it, unless it is from one of the growers that specializes in rooting JM.
Many JM can only be propagated by grafting. Don't be upset for buying a grafted maple from any grower that offers these grafted plants. All the JM growers graft maples. Buy from a bonsai grower or someone who specializes in maples from cuttings. If I am in doubt, whether it is a maple, a ginkgo, or a conifer, I ask.
I did not know that about the maples mostly being grafted, thank you

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just ordered 3 JWP from them, and a 4th on eBay. Never did disclose the root stock when asked
but did answer a few, not all, questions in a timely manor. I get it, running a business,
and the pandemic. They seemed to be happy to keep my characteristics desires in mind when picking the order
and was quick to link 2 other options instead of what I was inquiring about.
Actually talked the guy into sending 2 pics of general representations, but that really wasn't helpful in selection
where you cant see the graft well. So I gambled a shoot and hope...

Last 2 emails have gone unanswered, including info I had just placed the order with gratitude, and question on a particular cultivar
'Glauca' I had in my cart before I checked out, so I guess I was a bother. Did not order the 'Glauca'.
I'm the kind of person that information and communication is the very best way to gain a goal, even when talking to your doctor.
So, vague responses begat multiple emails, for customer service I would rate 3.5 out of 5 stars so far, just because I rate good information so high
and am picky about most things.

My order did qualify for a $55 choice of 2 plants, free gift, + shipping was free.
That sort of bumps them up to 4 stars, but product remains to be seen.
I will leave a product review once received (hasn't shipped yet)
but this would've been a good thread in the Vendor Experiences part of the forum.
I found this thread on a search for Conifer Kingdom Experiences.

Top Bottom