Coniferous from seeds - timing with the seasons for indoor trees....

Reaction score
Hi there,

So I've just ordered seeds for a few coniferous bonsai I intend to start from seeds (Douglas Fir, Mountain Hemlock, Lawsons Cypress). My plan is just to stratify a few seeds of each, get them to germinate & try them on. In the meantime, I do intent on buying a grown plan (maybe something easy like Junipers) just to get some practice for the later stages, so I don't mess it up too much with those trees from seeds once they grow up.

So I live in the northern hemisphere, so late fall/early winter is coming here. I intent to grow these indoors only, because I don't have much options for outdoors growing (apartment building).

For those species, the stratification takes 4-6 weeks. It's indoors, so I guess I have some leeway for temperature, however the days are going to be fairly short. It's going to be ~9 hours of sunlight/day for the next number of weeks. I have great sunlight in my appartement, so I can make the most of it. I'm pretty eager to get started, so my inclination would be to start those right away.

That does mean they would sprout with relatively short days (e.g. in the 9-10 hours of sunlight per day). Does it matter all that much? Can I still successfully grow them? Or should I really wait to stratify them so that they are ready to plant in the spring, when days are longer?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You need to get other tropicals/indoor plants. Conifers in general need real sunlight, outdoor conditions. Unless buying very expensive lighting setup cannot duplicate easily indoors. Not even sunny windows will substitute.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My experience with conifer seeds is it stratify them all winter and plant them in the spring or just before. I will never try to grow conifers inside for more than a few weeks at most.

Reaction score
Oupsies. I just like coniferous trees more. I guess I'll try it out anyways, and just try to get the timing as best as I can to make up for less than ideal conditions.

But then I'll hedge my bets and get some deciduous, tropical plans more suited for indoors. Thanks for the infos...

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oupsies. I just like coniferous trees more. I guess I'll try it out anyways, and just try to get the timing as best as I can to make up for less than ideal conditions.

But then I'll hedge my bets and get some deciduous, tropical plans more suited for indoors. Thanks for the infos...
They will get by....do two batches , so one will have outdoor season too.
My first indoor batch..I was tickled to death,but once I seen what they can be with proper indoor setup.....was awstruck and still am really.
Learn by doing.......if not having $700 to do it right.....just have fun😆

Here is my first pine indoors & and my second pine of exact same age with proper setup and research!!! Huge differance.

Then a 6.5 mnth one where I have yet learned even more still.... and have currently.My pride and joy!!!!!!
5B43DE4A-9556-43FE-A287-C2EFA16708E0.jpeg50DFB027-50F7-452E-8974-BFAB720B3E09.jpegA7027456-4A2E-412A-997C-7B974288CEBF.jpeg52B9B15D-D9DA-46B4-87FD-FA1BA903A46A.jpeg

Top Bottom