Conifers for a beginner?

desmos77

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a beginner - just have a few ficus at home - but I really like conifers. Are there any conifers for beginners? Also, I would prefer to keep my trees inside, so an indoor conifer. My research tells me probably not. But perhaps a Buddhist Pine? I really have no idea.

I live in Denmark.

Best

Des

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi all,

I'm a beginner - just have a few ficus at home - but I really like conifers. Are there any conifers for beginners? Also, I would prefer to keep my trees inside, so an indoor conifer. My research tells me probably not. But perhaps a Buddhist Pine? I really have no idea.

I live in Denmark.

Best

Des

Buddhist pine (while tolerant of significantly more shade than most other conifers) cannot be grown inside conveniently or successfully. This applies to all temperate trees (deciduous and conifers). Tropical and subtropical species can be brought indoors when outdoor temperatures start going below 16°C in the fall but should be brought back out again in the spring to be healthy. If indoors is your only option, in order to get the healthiest ficus you can, I recommend you diy a small enclosure for your ficus using a 10/20/30 gallon(whatever comfortably fits the tree) aquarium with glass lid and a good Led or T5ho fluorescent fixture. This would allow you to control the humidity and ensure that it gets proper lighting. Oxygen can be pumped into the tank via a small air pump. To maintain the correct temperate you can use an under tank heater with a thermostat. The light and heat can be set on a day/ night cycle. High humidity and optimal lights levels (and of course correct soil and fertilization) are how proffessionals are able to grow such healthy beautiful ficus with trailing aerial roots that remind us of the rainforest. They usually do it in a controlled greenhouse but this is the closest second I have found. I know this was not what you asked for, however you can use or discard this advice as you see fit. To answer you question the closest tropical conifer, you could maintain as a house plant during the colder months but should still be brought outside for the warmer ones, would be a Norfolk Pine. They are not ideal bonsai material (although some still make the attempt) however are commonly available as houseplants.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Bonsai need to be outside as much as possible. When we first started we tried to keep them inside. Also had a podocarpus (Buddhist pine) which got weaker and weaker and then finally died.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It is generally not possible to keep conifers indoors, unless you have access to an indoor greenhouse, or professional indoor artificial lighting setup.

However, Denmark has a relatively mild climate. You should be able to keep most conifers that are winter hardy (ie can stand below freezing temps). The easiest conifers to start with are probably junipers. Pines are considered more advanced just because they often require special techniques to maintain them in a compact form.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
With the wide availability of pinus sylvestris in Denmark, I'd say you should try a couple of those.
They are pretty strong, flexible and versatile. Just don't water them too much.

Those are outdoors only.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As others have indicated, find a space outside or you will fail. Then it will not be a matter of finding a plant or two that will work for you, but it will be a matter of eliminating those that are less desirable of the hundreds of plants you will have to choose from.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is not true. Indoor bonsai are great if you can do it. Most people can't but it is not rocket science. I have several dozen at different stages inside and it helps me get though the winter.
Sorry, Conifers. Rugged, bearded, outdoorsy trees.

desmos77

Seedling
Reaction score
It is generally not possible to keep conifers indoors, unless you have access to an indoor greenhouse, or professional indoor artificial lighting setup.

However, Denmark has a relatively mild climate. You should be able to keep most conifers that are winter hardy (ie can stand below freezing temps). The easiest conifers to start with are probably junipers. Pines are considered more advanced just because they often require special techniques to maintain them in a compact form.
Thanks for the information. Perhaps I need to review my indoor perception of bonsai, especially for conifers. I would like to try with a conifer, but given your information, I’ll try with one outside. Do you have any conifer suggestions for a beginner? I particularly like the smaller needled conifers.
Best
Des

desmos77

Seedling
Reaction score
Bonsai need to be outside as much as possible. When we first started we tried to keep them inside. Also had a podocarpus (Buddhist pine) which got weaker and weaker and then finally died.
Thank you for your reply. I will look for a beginner conifer for outside.
best
Des

desmos77

Seedling
Reaction score
With the wide availability of pinus sylvestris in Denmark, I'd say you should try a couple of those.
They are pretty strong, flexible and versatile. Just don't water them too much.

Those are outdoors only.
Thank you very much for the reply. I will try one outside. Best. Des

desmos77

Seedling
Reaction score
Buddhist pine (while tolerant of significantly more shade than most other conifers) cannot be grown inside conveniently or successfully. This applies to all temperate trees (deciduous and conifers). Tropical and subtropical species can be brought indoors when outdoor temperatures start going below 16°C in the fall but should be brought back out again in the spring to be healthy. If indoors is your only option, in order to get the healthiest ficus you can, I recommend you diy a small enclosure for your ficus using a 10/20/30 gallon(whatever comfortably fits the tree) aquarium with glass lid and a good Led or T5ho fluorescent fixture. This would allow you to control the humidity and ensure that it gets proper lighting. Oxygen can be pumped into the tank via a small air pump. To maintain the correct temperate you can use an under tank heater with a thermostat. The light and heat can be set on a day/ night cycle. High humidity and optimal lights levels (and of course correct soil and fertilization) are how proffessionals are able to grow such healthy beautiful ficus with trailing aerial roots that remind us of the rainforest. They usually do it in a controlled greenhouse but this is the closest second I have found. I know this was not what you asked for, however you can use or discard this advice as you see fit. To answer you question the closest tropical conifer, you could maintain as a house plant during the colder months but should still be brought outside for the warmer ones, would be a Norfolk Pine. They are not ideal bonsai material (although some still make the attempt) however are commonly available as houseplants.
Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I will endeavour to find a conifer that suits my experience and keep it outside. I will also consider your suggestion for my ficus’. Best. Des

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Buddhist Pine is not a Pine nor is it a conifer with pine-like cones. There are no Pine-like plants for indoors unless you'd like to punish yourself with a Stone Pine.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm definitely a fan of Scott's pine or Scotch pine. It has small needles as well (I do not fertilize it earlier in the season but wait for the new growth). I start removing candles when needles are bushing out. No fertilizer until new growth hardens (July) otherwise you'll have larger than desired needles.
Edit: same as pinus sylvestris as mentioned earlier by @Wires_Guy_wires

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm definitely a fan of Scott's pine or Scotch pine. It has small needles as well (I do not fertilize it earlier in the season but wait for the new growth). I start removing candles when needles are bushing out. No fertilizer until new growth hardens (July) otherwise you'll have larger than desired needles.
Edit: same as pinus sylvestris as mentioned earlier by @Wires_Guy_wires
How's that type of pruning working for you? I keep getting buds on the ends where I cut them. This year I'm going to leave all shoots alone and cut them back in fall instead of in the middle of summer. Hopefully to get a bit more back budding.

Top Bottom