Conifers rule.......

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Now, now -- it happens from time to time, but not all artists airbrush their bonsai photographs.

Does that really matter.......:eek:

keep it green,
Harry

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Looking at D trees is like looking at the Victoria's Secret Catalog, looking at Conifers is like looking at Playboy Magazine."

Yeah, pine bonsais DO have alot of faked cantilevering supported by some very sturdy wiring (or underwiring, as the case may be)...and seeing as conifers NEVER take their clothes off, looking at them is more like perusing the Sears Catalog underwear section...:D

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
"Looking at D trees is like looking at the Victoria's Secret Catalog, looking at Conifers is like looking at Playboy Magazine."

Yeah, pine bonsais DO have alot of faked cantilevering supported by some very sturdy wiring (or underwiring, as the case may be)...and seeing as conifers NEVER take their clothes off, looking at them is more like perusing the Sears Catalog underwear section...:D

What you see is what you get year round with pines, waiting for winter to see some branches must be awfully boring. What do you look at during the summer months. I think once I developed a D tree with the ramification I wanted, I would kill it so I could enjoy it all year long.........:D

keep it green,
Harry

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"What you see is what you get year round with pines, waiting for winter to see some branches must be awfully boring."

Well, that's kinda the point. Year round sameness. with conifers you get green, green, yellowish green, green....Wow, such variety...:D

Deciduous trees change constantly --of course if you're staring in wonder at those constant, monotonous piles of layered green, you may actually not know that. From spring bud break and flowering to summers' green, to, well, Autumn...which speaks for itself, then onto the bone branches of winter--then rebirth in the spring, deciduous trees put on quite a show.

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
"What you see is what you get year round with pines, waiting for winter to see some branches must be awfully boring."

Well, that's kinda the point. Year round sameness. with conifers you get green, green, yellowish green, green....Wow, such variety...:D

Deciduous trees change constantly --of course if you're staring in wonder at all that constant, monotonous green, you may actually not know that. From spring bud break and flowering to summers' green, to, well, Autumn...which speaks for itself, then onto the bone branches of winter--then rebirth in the spring, deciduous trees put on quite a show.

Yawn..........:p

keep it green,
Harry

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Harry,

good question. I was always told they would not work here. However, the people telling me that live further north of Naples (another 1 to 2 climate zones). We don't get really cold nights down here. The few times it gets a bit chilly I can easily protect a tree by giving it a big hug..:D

Seriously, I think I'll try. Have just to figure out where to get the Pemphis from.

-dorothy

There are always ways...........:rolleyes:
Contact some of the Cubans in Miami....

keep it green,
Harry

Last edited:

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My favourite Cone is that of Cedrus,there is something about them.

The sit there nestled atop the sprays like some peculiar sentient eggs,all knowing.

If only a miniature coning specimen could be found.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
My favourite Cone is that of Cedrus,there is something about them.

The sit there nestled atop the sprays like some peculiar sentient eggs,all knowing.

If only a miniature coning specimen could be found.

I'll pass.

keep it green,
Harry

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Yawn..........'

Been out looking at the trees, Harry?:D

Concorde

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Best overall climate for bonsai in the US (in my opinion) is probably San Francisco Bay area.

Southern California is good, with the exception of cold hardy species that need a hard winter - certain oaks, maples, etc, and especially Japanese White Pines. However pretty much everything else thrives here, as long as you provide the proper protection for some of the more tender species like Japanese Maples.

I agree. The Sierra foothills, 65 miles east of Sacramento elevation 2000 feet, is another great location for any species, ie maples, conifers and tropical. Good rainfall, mild climate and occasional snow. I love it here.

Concorde

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Conifers or evergreens do not rule. The fact is they suck. Try looking at deciduous trees especially tridents or Japanese maples for the true Bonsai Gods.

+

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think they suck. Some of the most incredible work done in bonsai is done with conifers.

I think there is an overemphasis on them, at the expense of equally worthy deciduous material.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Conifers or evergreens do not rule. The fact is they suck. Try looking at deciduous trees especially tridents or Japanese maples for the true Bonsai Gods.

+

Try setting those D trees out in the 105 degree sun for a week, or a 25mph wind at 92 degrees and you will be able to enjoy your branches before winter............:eek:

keep it green,
Harry

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Try setting those D trees out in the 105 degree sun for a week, or a 25mph wind at 92 degrees and you will be able to enjoy your branches before winter............"

I have yamadori live oak and cedar elm that prefer this kind of treatment. The live oak, in particular sulks if the temp is below 90 and not in full sun all summer. .I've measured the tree's pot surface temp at 120 F...Although I'm sure the interior root mass wasn't that hot, the tree didn't seem to mind the heat at all.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Cedar Elms love the heat, I used to have a collected one. I was talking about the 3dents and Japanese Maples.

keep it green,
Harry

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
J. Maples fry pretty quickly here in the Va. summer sun.

Tridents, however, can take full sun here in Va. and even further South. They grow much tighter and the leaves are smaller when left in open exposure from leaf break in March through the end of November. I've never had a problem with them, even in 102 F heat--although I do cover the pots with white sheeting on hotter summer days...

Top Bottom