Considering Compost Tea for bonsai

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It can be a tough subject because of so many variables, starting with tree species being fertilized. But if you have questions ask away and check google. Just be aware of your sources and don't trust anyone who tells you there's only one way to do it, because they are clearly telling you lies

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It can be a tough subject because of so many variables, starting with tree species being fertilized. But if you have questions ask away and check google. Just be aware of your sources and don't trust anyone who tells you there's only one way to do it, because they are clearly telling you lies
Yep, there’s some serious alchemy going on in this part of the horticultural field.
Best
DSD sends

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Clicio ,

please be careful and as usual test on ependables.

We did that compost tea bit some time ago, the
plants got sick.

There seems to have been a mix-up in information
some years ago.
Anthony

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have never used compost tea and have no plans to try it. Ryan Neil tried it last summer on a bunch of his trees and did not have good results. He has a couple of podcasts devoted to the topic that I suggest you listen to. One or two were from before he applied the compost tea, and one was within the past few weeks where they discussed what happened.
Probably lockout of nutrients.......organics and salts do not always play well together.....
Lots to be said there..........

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Plus! the seaweed in it is actually kelp which is supposed to combat apical dominance and create back budding and lateral growth when applied topically to trees
Very true on many species!
Can be completely exploited positively when done with a 5:2 ratio of fulvic acid powder/kelp powder&1/64tsp yucca........yucca is a mild fungicide too(natural possibilities I am testing).
Ph 6.2-7.0 for foliars...No more than once a week foliar. Kelp will burn foliar if used more

Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pertaing to kelp(post above)
A rather equalized pine seedling...never pruned( still experimenting currently).17 shoots....4mnths old!!!
Also backbuds on 1” branches and seedlings of deciduous8EBD84B0-9D26-4793-82A5-A604730CE70D.jpegB23EBA1D-7707-4509-ABA6-6896E32CA07C.jpegA14E48C2-CEDB-4F4F-AEDB-D14F84C78E78.jpeg

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hm.. interesting. Any references? Would love to learn more.
Happy to send some bonsai specific articles your way tonight, want to use my laptop for that. But in the meantime google is chock full of great articles for general gardening, like seed soaks. Or @cmeg1 above this comment has been posting some in depth stuff about kelp. For the last year or two if you want to search his name and “kelp”

Alcam

Yamadori
Reaction score
I'm hoping to continue this conversation, as I just listened to Ryan's podcasts about his failed soil experiment, and I also fairly recently purchased a fish fertilizer that I'm now hesitant to use...

I'll add that one main reason (and an important one) why the compost tea didn't work for Ryan was because of the constant water flush bonsai entails. With so many flushes, the bacteria kept getting stronger but the nematodes and protozoa weren't able to hold onto anything in the soil to stick around, so the soil went downhill in a hurry.

This spring I'll be mixing my own soil of lava, pumice, and pine bark. My trees are all small and in early development stages, so I'm not worried about not having akadama, but I'm wanting to ensure I'm prepared to fertilize my trees as best as possible. Does anyone have an opinion on this: https://www.dutchgrowers.com/fish-fertilizer-5-2-2-1l.html or any other thoughts on some less expensive fertilizer other than expensive biogold?

I'm not a scientist, but I sure enjoy the science of bonsai, so this soil/fert discussion is one I find super interesting.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I plan on trying miracle grow performance organics granule looks good excited to see results have not used it yet as most of mine are deciduous and are currently outside in a mini green house to stay warm at night.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Currently using dyna-gro for bonsai with their pro-tekt but thinking it would be nice to go natural for my trees does anybody have any experience using compost tea or can suggest a brand they have used any ideas would help. I was just wandering.

Waste of Time and effort. Accoding to Michael Hagedorns Bonsai Heresy some is helpful, too much has reverse effect. Does one know what is too much? Easy to have reverse effect to what one wishes.

Top Bottom