Considering pulling this pine, literati?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Is it worth it?
Guess would make a nice literati and should be easy to take.
Needles discoloration looks like it isn't very healthy ? And some trunk damage as well.
Its got couple branches at the base for a smaller tree if top doesn't make it.

Screenshot_20210212-063015_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210212-063131_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210212-063139_Gallery.jpg

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Do you know what species this is?

Honestly, if you're really wanting to collect this and start developing it as bonsai, I'd be more inclined to chop it down to one of those lower branches at the base. I don't really see a nice bunjin here, TBH.

Depending on the species, what the base of the tree looks like, and the arrangement of those lower branches, you might have the making of a nice, smaller tree. You'd just be considering the stuff above it as a sacrifice.

Can you clear away the base and take a picture of the lower trunk and those branches?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Dig it, care for it until the needles look good (while managing it for bunjin), and assume it just needs a balanced diet. That sandy soil is probably short a couple minor elements, so if it were in a good media and fed in the growing season it would present a lot better. It might respond with too much growth which would tell you it could be wired into your design which you should take your time forcing into the contorted form that you have in your mind's eye. Put it into a pot like a Korean mica with a heavy lip that you can drill anchor holes in so you can use guy wires in any direction. We expect yearly up dates and in 3 years, perfection!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Is it worth it?
Guess would make a nice literati and should be easy to take.
Needles discoloration looks like it isn't very healthy ? And some trunk damage as well.
Its got couple branches at the base for a smaller tree if top doesn't make it.

View attachment 353905View attachment 353906View attachment 353907

Go for it! Not every tree has to be a grand tree, or a powerful tree with a huge trunk.

I find a lot of beauty in humble material like this. I have a similar little Ponderosa that many wouldn’t look twice at, but is actually one of my favorite trees.

Good luck!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks in a wonderful position to mark, my dog would hit it sure. Probly just a little excessive hot nitro.

Dig it!

Sorce

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Was visiting the tree while walking my dog daily and saw it get crazy amounts of fertilisers from horses that are left to roam in that area. And foliage recovered beautifully and was planning to pull it out in early spring.
Unfortunately got a nasty surprise today where tree was clearly damage, believe its man-made damage as the tree is damaged from all sides in same location where it had been damaged before. As if it was twisted in all directions. I don't see any continuity of live vein so doubt top would make it. Wonder if i should saw it and add cutting paste to help it heal and if lower part is really worth saving it has 3 branches popping at same level which means I'll have to take one off and I'm not sure if I'll get new branches from trunk as its starting to get bark I believe ?
Screenshot_20211129-221840_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211129-221910_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211129-221928_Gallery.jpg

Any thoughts
Thanks

Top Bottom