Constant vigilance!

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
That $5 variegated hedera from the grocery store seems a lot less charming now that I found a bunch these on my key lime.
IMG_20180203_220836.jpg

No damage yet from what I can tell, but I am out of insecticidal soap.

Attachments

• IMG_20180203_220757.jpg
    IMG_20180203_220757.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Key lime in Minnesota? I assume that means indoor trees?

I had more problems with pests on my INDOOR trees in Chicago than I have on my OUTDOOR trees in California. I think it may be due to the fact that when you bring trees indoors, whatever natural balances that existed are gone - and the pests can multiply unchecked. Soap is good. Neem oil is good. Ladybugs... not so good in the house :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ladybugs... not so good in the house

Rubbish! Lol!

Sure I'd be happier living under an old upturned oak stump with the badgers....

But I know you can keep a little ecosystem healthy and clean indoors, iffin with a little a little more care than I give!

What stupid saying can we come with to remember to...ALWAYS CHECK FOR BUGS BEFORE WE INTRODUCE THEM!?

I still do it all the time....just been getting lucky keeping them under control enough so they don't jump from the good host.

Something bout a hose blast....quick fix.

Sorce

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Key lime in Minnesota? I assume that means indoor trees?

I had more problems with pests on my INDOOR trees in Chicago than I have on my OUTDOOR trees in California. I think it may be due to the fact that when you bring trees indoors, whatever natural balances that existed are gone - and the pests can multiply unchecked. Soap is good. Neem oil is good. Ladybugs... not so good in the house :)

Yep, indoor.

I was hypervigilant when I brought the tropicals in in the fall (multiple 3-in-1 applications, neem oil). I only had to fight off the fungus gnats.

I was also feeling pretty smug about not having aphids in the garden last summer, which is part of how I am so sure that they came in on the new arrivals.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We have quite a few plants that Summer outside. They stay out colder then most allow before being brought inside. I treat every single plant with an anti-fungal, 3 in 1 Granular, and sometimes Seven over a two day period before bringing them in. Rare we introduce new plants in the Cold months but if so they get a cleanup and those treatments before going into the plant room.

So far, no bug problems but an occasional fungal problem because I cannot lower the Humidity under 50 percent for the Tortoise. Easily handled though... A big problem this year was an electric heater that cooked the room for a couple of days when I had the flu - what a mess, but oh well.

That room gets scrubbed and treated Spring and Fall too.

With new plants though I use the same "isolation" methods I do all year and I am CERTAIN it is worth it.

Grimmy

Top Bottom