Contemplating purchasing Yamadori

Reaction score
Hi all. I am interested in acquiring a Yamadori tree I am curious what would be a modest price for one, hopefully not more than a couple, few hundred

I am wondering whether anyone would care to share their idea of best source(s) for Yamadori. I am open to any species. I am in Orange County CA, so here, or LA County, or even Riverside, San Bernardino, or San Diego County might work. However, I might even prefer ordering online to ship a vigorous tree, if folks’ favorite sources are elsewhere in the US, or even overseas. Thanks in advance!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Prices will vary considerably. Bonsai is an unregulated industry so anyone is free to ask whatever they want for any tree. Collecting good yamadori is quite skilled and often takes many hours of scouting and preparation not to mention the hiking in and out with the tree. Not all collected trees survive to sale which adds to the value of those that do. Conversely there are some sellers who ask incredible prices for mediocre or even poor specimens and even trees that have not even recovered fully from the dig.
Just because it is collected does not mean a tree will make a great bonsai so prices will reflect how suitable a tree is for conversion to bonsai. Prices will also vary from place to place and different growers will have completely different ideas about what their trees are worth.
Ultimately it will come down to whether you feel any particular tree is worth what the seller is asking.

I guess from the question you have some idea of the pitfalls with yamadori so hopefully some B'nut members can steer you in the direction of reputable sellers.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all. I am interested in acquiring a Yamadori tree I am curious what would be a modest price for one, hopefully not more than a couple, few hundred

I am wondering whether anyone would care to share their idea of best source(s) for Yamadori. I am open to any species. I am in Orange County CA, so here, or LA County, or even Riverside, San Bernardino, or San Diego County might work. However, I might even prefer ordering online to ship a vigorous tree, if folks’ favorite sources are elsewhere in the US, or even overseas. Thanks in advance!
you'd best consider what species you're after. Species can have a big bearing on what you're going to pay and who you're going to pay to get it. Since you're in California, best consider native Cali trees. Getting a species that originates somewhere on the East Coast for instance, will greatly complicate your ability to care for it.

California live oak species, Cali juniper and other Western conifers are all good candidates, as are some introduced species, such as Mediterranean olive that have been collected from yards, etc. Californians will have a better idea of sources.

Expect to pay at least a couple of hundred for a decent starter yamadori. Excellent collected trees can range into the $10,000 or more range...

Also, You cannot import a yamadori tree without considerable effort managing quarantine regulations into the U.S. Trees cannot just be purchased and shipped into the U.S. from other countries because of disease concerns. Import are quarantined for two years at qualified facilities before they're allowed in. They also have to have all their soil removed at import, which is stressful to the tree. Many imports don't make it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Commifornia has regulations into it from the US as well.

I'd bet CA is the state with THE most Yamadori being dug, no reason to look elsewhere.

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

This is as broad as saying “help me pick a car”. Consider a species that does well in your area, such as a cali juniper, olive, or live oak. You have lots of great bonsai nurseries around you. Check out Kimura, Chikugo-en, San Gabriel nursery. @Bonsai Nut can recommend others.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
There are many yamadori bonsai vendors in California.

Contact California bonsai society.

Do a lot of research on your local natives.

Be prepared for several years of patience and commitment.

Reaction score
There are many yamadori bonsai vendors in California.

Contact California bonsai society.

Do a lot of research on your local natives.

Be prepared for several years of patience and commitment.
First, many thanks for all the replies. Now I think my best move will be to wait until I am prepared to try my hand at gathering Yamadori. I am prepared for years of patience and commitment in that sense! Thank you, I will be sure to get in touch with this Society, and clubs. I find that the only Yamadori, and for that matter Specimen, that really capture my interest are priced in the thousands. From a practical standpoint, it's a long term investment. As far as the hobby goes, I imagine if I found a specimen that really caught my eye, and priced within reason, I might buy one :) So for now I'd rather buy multiple starter or pre-bonsai, or nursery stock.

Of course I will get in touch with Bonsai Clubs. But has anyone got any tips about how to get into gathering Yamadori? I mean such as methods, general advice associated with the practice, locales (in Southern CA), regulations and so forth. Thanks again!

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Easy to find material by us. All the forest above Santiago Cyn has excellent stuff.
It is the permit that is the problem. Check out the ranger stations in Cleveland National Forest.

Mudslides, torrential rains and fires have made for some specimen oaks sticking out the side of road cuts everywhere.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lately some people have been saying you can get yamadori ponderosa pines for 50 bucks, so I'd go for a couple of those.😊
Absolute very bad idea. Before killing any true Yamadori pine must needs have pine experience/horticulture skill to keep alive. Other semi tropical pine do good your area😊.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Great idea to get plenty of experience with:
a. keeping trees alive in pots - not really as simple as it sounds so start of with cheaper, easy care species first but also add some conifers, including pines because they have specific needs.
b. digging and transplanting trees.

Spend a few years with expendable material to find some of the pitfalls and hone skills in keeping trees alive in pots then maintenance of the different species.
Look for some trees to practice transplant techniques too. They can be found in gardens, vacant lots, roadsides, etc. The trees do not need to be super bonsai yamadori for practice and developing transplant and care skills. I'd start out with some of the weedy, easy to grow and transplant species in your area to get a feel for what works and what does not.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First, many thanks for all the replies. Now I think my best move will be to wait until I am prepared to try my hand at gathering Yamadori. I am prepared for years of patience and commitment in that sense! Thank you, I will be sure to get in touch with this Society, and clubs. I find that the only Yamadori, and for that matter Specimen, that really capture my interest are priced in the thousands. From a practical standpoint, it's a long term investment. As far as the hobby goes, I imagine if I found a specimen that really caught my eye, and priced within reason, I might buy one :) So for now I'd rather buy multiple starter or pre-bonsai, or nursery stock.

Of course I will get in touch with Bonsai Clubs. But has anyone got any tips about how to get into gathering Yamadori? I mean such as methods, general advice associated with the practice, locales (in Southern CA), regulations and so forth. Thanks again!
This is a recipe for mostly killing anything you gather, either outright or over time. If you're waiting to get a specimen yamadori, and don't have any experience caring for whatever you buy, you will probably kill it. Best move is to get actual experience caring for an established yamadori of the particular species you like. Start small, expect losses, learn, THEN move up to the great stuff.

Also, you are going to get a wild range of collecting advice online. A lot of it will be crap. As for getting actual location info for collecting, well, permits are the biggest obstacle. All of this can be handled by joining a local club. Get hands on experience on their collecting trips. Many clubs do that on a regular basis. Actual hands-on experience in collecting trees is invaluable and worth 10,000 hours of Internet experience...Additionally, clubs usually have some kind of auction where members sell off excess material. This can be a great and inexpensive source of yamadori material.

Top Bottom