Contemplating said pot for the bougainvillea cutting...thoughts

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was pleasantly taken back...to have found a pot with shades of yellow. (No offense to ones who like the color yellow,it's one of my least favorite colors)

So...when in bloom this would be purple. Far from refined...but think it could be a good paring?

Yes or no and if not a simple reason as to why not to educate me would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
Has one consulted the color wheel to find the complementary colors to one's bougainvillea cutting?

That is where one should start.

Or one should just buy a blue pot.

wlambeth

Mame
Reaction score
So what does the pot have to say!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So what does the pot have to say!

:confused: Not quite sure...I am liking the pot color and overall appearance of it. Considering it...for a different look than the one would typically go with. For I like to be different, but I also wish for the two to look well together and not based on my liking something. Thus...asking opinions if others see this also a good combo for a later repot.

Last edited:

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Darlene you'll never know unless you put the cutting in this pot. Let us see the results please with your comments.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Asked for a close up of glaze...it happens to be a slight crackle finish. Sooo mine! I am a sucker for crackle glazes.

Dare to be different! And to think I had been searching for blue/aqua color. When Nathan pointed me into an avenue I never considered. I have a feeling I am going to like the not so common paring of what I had been searching for. :eek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 21

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know about the pot, but the leaves don't look very healthy on that plant. Might want to check on the soil or your watering/fertilizing.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't know about the pot, but the leaves don't look very healthy on that plant. Might want to check on the soil or your watering/fertilizing.

The leaves are getting better. I think the initial leaves that came on after it started rooting we're more that odd color. Possibly from not having a proper root system? But...the new growth now is a healthy green. I have not defoliated it...and the leaves have slowly been turning a healthier shade. So I am assuming it's from not having a root system on the cutting that produced the odd color leaves. But I do appreciate your noticing and bringing that up. I can only assume that was the cause of the odd color leaves at the first onset of growth. Now it's establishing a root system...the new growth is a healthy green.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Info on the pot itself...it's a very nice syuho or sometimes written Shuho I am told. Sadly...I know little about pots. But, I have been told by a few bonsai folk I trust it's a good quality pot. So well worth it. I need to slow down...I have four packages coming in the mail all bonsai related. I think having the gazebo done had me inspired.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
:confused: Not sure where I got yellow from...other than the one I purchased this from had mentioned yellow as well. He showed me a few pots in that grouping there was another one...that was yellow...definitely no yellow on this one...this one looks to be more cream with a greenish tint. It's quite beautiful...just surprised me. I would imagine it makes it quite versatile in ones options.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 14

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Honestly Darlene there is not a color on that pot that would not compliment a purple Bougie. Go for it its a nice pot.

ed

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Honestly Darlene there is not a color on that pot that would not compliment a purple Bougie. Go for it its a nice pot.

ed

Thanks Ed...the pot actually arrived today in the mail.:eek: A few photos attached...I was tinkering around as you can see. No plans on potting this cutting until spring 2016. I want it well established since it is a cutting and all. It's potted in a 6" tall container but only 4" of that is substrate. So it will have a graceful trunk slanting into the cascade. It's just hidden inside that current container.

It's evening...so quality of photos are not the best with lighting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 10

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Darlene....I have been busy and missed this post....Till tonight. When I saw the first pics I figured you had either really gotten the hubby into bonsai getting him to hold and take pics of said pot or you needed to shave your arms....LOL I read the rest of the post and came to the understanding that the original pics were from the seller. Nice little pot....Congrats.

Brian

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Darlene....I have been busy and missed this post....Till tonight. When I saw the first pics I figured you had either really gotten the hubby into bonsai getting him to hold and take pics of said pot or you needed to shave your arms....LOL I read the rest of the post and came to the understanding that the original pics were from the seller. Nice little pot....Congrats.

Brian

What a good laugh you gave me...woke the bulldog up from a deep sleep laughing out loud. Yup...the stink eye was aimed at you...he just didn't know it. ;)

Thanks...it was a splurge...since it won't get potted for awhile. But, I was looking for a not so typical choice for pots. I think I found it with this one. I can't quite get the photos of the pot to show it perfectly. The sellers close up with just a tint of green verse the yellow is closest to it's color. Though everyone's monitor is a bit different. It's in my hutch...not the cold greenhouse. Until I use it. Next to my anafre I brought back from Honduras.

Edit: The hubby is coming around to my hobby...he brags of my very small collection of bonsai to ones when were out and about.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I understand getting the better half to come around to our way of thinking when it comes to the little trees....My wife went with me this weekend to a demo and on a dig....It was a nice surprise to have her tag along.

Brian

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm with Ed on this one. Oh, the hubby should brag on you as you have a gift that not just anyone can possess.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I understand getting the better half to come around to our way of thinking when it comes to the little trees....My wife went with me this weekend to a demo and on a dig....It was a nice surprise to have her tag along.

Brian

It does have it's plus side...what was her take on the weekend once it was over? :) She surely had to find it enjoyable seeing what makes you tick so to speak.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm with Ed on this one. Oh, the hubby should brag on you as you have a gift that not just anyone can possess.

Your to kind Vin...laughing at some of his/hubby's comments..."You should see the trees inside that came looking like firewood! They are starting to look less like firewood and more like trees...here's my favorite though...I think she called it a wisteria...but it has long purple flowers."

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
She enjoyed the visit to Smith-Gilbert Gardens and as much of the demo that we got to stay for put on by Rodney Clemons and our very own Dav4....We both hated to leave but I had already committed to the BC dig between 12 and 1....Luckily her and the homeowner really hit it off for the 3 hours we were there and I think I may be able to collect a few more nice yamadori...She has a ton of stuff planted and changes things up all the time.

Brian

Top Bottom