Contests for the colder months

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I haven't seen any new contests. K feel like we should create one so us members could connect a little bit more. Does anuone want to start a contest? If so, what ideas do you have in mind?

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sudoku. That's Japanese.

No, seriously though I've been kind of wondering the same thing. I was hoping that maybe they'd do like an offset JBP thing since the current one is almost 3 years in. I think some kind of tree contest would be nice.

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
A contest for us potters. There are some pretty good potters on this site making some great pots. Would think it would be best to have experienced bonsai artists who are non-potters do the judging to keep it fair. Perhaps each potter would submit and portfolio of 10 or so pots. Prize: eternal glory, like the Tri-Wizard Tournament.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
How about a contest for all the gene splicers out there? The goal is to create the best tree that has its growing season throughout winter and lies dormant in the summer. I’ve got a couple of rusty pennies as a prize....

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
How about a contest for all the gene splicers out there? The goal is to create the best tree that has its growing season throughout winter and lies dormant in the summer. I’ve got a couple of rusty pennies as a prize....
I love those trees that have been spliced with lobster DNA to withstand the cold and grow in the winter! Go CRISPR!!!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a bonsai site. Why not do a winter silhouette exhibit? Tree must be on stand with accent and assembled like a professional show. This could be considered a step up idea for those that have wanted to move up to exhibiting their trees. Maybe not the nationals, but it needs to be dressed like
it's going there. It doesn't need to be a contest. No pressure, just refine your tree and present it here. What this does do is allow people to exhibit their trees and see just where they stack up against other trees. It becomes a very good gauge on what one needs to do with their tree to get it up to speed.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have cacti, if that's what you're saying ;-)
As a former 'gene splicer' I can tell you that this is not a contest we can legally do.
I do remember one cool DIY experiment! And if there are people around here making jewelry from epoxy or other transparent material, I suggest you guys combine forces to get your favorite bonsai DNA into a necklace or whatever. A few years ago I gave some classes to youngsters about DNA, and we used modified eppendorf tubes to make necklaces out of their favorite soft fruits. The technique seems to work with most soft plant material, like spring shoots and buds that are just coming to life.
Here's a link to the DIY-protocol: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/squishy-science-extract-dna-from-smashed-strawberries/
If you're super careful, you should be able to isolate a few cluttered strands. It might take a few tries, but bonsai is all about patience, right?
y1rq0rtlhek01.jpg

The DNA itself is invisible for the naked eye by the way, it's the proteins (histones) surrounding the DNA that become visible due to denaturation.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Ha! I never expected there to be any actual mad scientists to hand. How’s your cacti ramification coming on?

Why can’t we do it legally? Must be something to do with some kind of time reversal paradox. I knew that bonsai would lead us to destruction of the universe.

Cool experiment. Maybe Ryan Neil can sell the necklaces on his website for exorbitant amounts of cash.

t_fareal

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
This is a bonsai site. Why not do a winter silhouette exhibit? Tree must be on stand with accent and assembled like a professional show. This could be considered a step up idea for those that have wanted to move up to exhibiting their trees. Maybe not the nationals, but it needs to be dressed like
it's going there. It doesn't need to be a contest. No pressure, just refine your tree and present it here. What this does do is allow people to exhibit their trees and see just where they stack up against other trees. It becomes a very good gauge on what one needs to do with their tree to get it up to speed.

maybe even group it by "Zone's" and then the best from each zone gets voted on by everyone on the site...

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about those grocery store Christmas trees, either the pines or the Rosemary ones? I almost bought one yesterday, need an excuse. The wire Charlie Brown trees.?

Brent

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
What about those grocery store Christmas trees, either the pines or the Rosemary ones? I almost bought one yesterday, need an excuse. The wire Charlie Brown trees.?

Brent
That’s a good idea actually. Best cheap potted Christmas tree to bonsai. ‘Tis the season for spruce, so why not?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b

Brent
Haha! Yeah!
I had to do it!

Posted this somewhere else, but thought I would place my Charlie Brown tree here as well. So much fun!
chamaecyparis lawsoniana From the depot.
had many wrapped in holiday joyousness, but grabbed a plain one for 8$
From what I’ve read, this thing probably won’t last till Christmas. Especially after my hack job!

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Brent
I would be up for that. Contest right after the new year or whoever has a tree that survives until next Christmas wins 🤣

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Haha! Yeah!
I had to do it!

Posted this somewhere else, but thought I would place my Charlie Brown tree here as well. So much fun!
chamaecyparis lawsoniana From the depot.
had many wrapped in holiday joyousness, but grabbed a plain one for 8$
From what I’ve read, this thing probably won’t last till Christmas. Especially after my hack job!
View attachment 273235

View attachment 273236
View attachment 273237
These pictures are the size of postage stamps.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Anyways, yeah I’m in for this challenge!
Want to try another type of novelty Christmas decoration. Seeing a lot of Italian rock pines at the stores. Heard maybe a fruitless endeavor though.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
These are some really good ideas. I think a christmas theme is a very good idea! Why don't we talk about it into more detail?

Top Bottom