Contorted Hazel

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi everyone,

Picked up this contorted hazel today in the reduced section. I think it could make quite a spooky looking tree in the future. I will remove the growth above the red line but maybe by air layering at an interesting point so nothing goes to waste.
I’ve worked on some standard hazel before and they seem to be resilient to hard work being carried out on them with speedy recoveries.
I’m thinking maybe repot in spring and get the air layer on then wait until the air layer is ready to be removed.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Attachments

• 5BF85E70-DDF3-4E01-A426-43A43A014672.jpeg
    5BF85E70-DDF3-4E01-A426-43A43A014672.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 4CF1FE2D-DCF8-44BC-8CF6-6BCF482D2BD4.jpeg
    4CF1FE2D-DCF8-44BC-8CF6-6BCF482D2BD4.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 99
  • B451B950-4A29-44C9-AE12-7E75F78E742D.jpeg
    B451B950-4A29-44C9-AE12-7E75F78E742D.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 107

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Woohoo! This is NICE!

Your plan seems like it will work well.... I would have, personally, followed a different “line”.. but what you detailed was close second..

Please keep this updated..

🤓

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Don't rush to conform this into a specific style. This is one you embrace for its uniqueness.

One was on the cover of International Bonsai magazine... maybe search for it. My battery is dying. So that's all I can really say. I doubt it will hold up for a search.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Don't rush to conform this into a specific style. This is one you embrace for its uniqueness.

One was on the cover of International Bonsai magazine... maybe search for it. My battery is dying. So that's all I can really say. I doubt it will hold up for a search.
Is it this one?

1611538602929.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Woohoo! This is NICE!

Your plan seems like it will work well.... I would have, personally, followed a different “line”.. but what you detailed was close second..

Please keep this updated..

🤓
I will be keeping this updated definitely. What line would you have followed always curious to see how other people see.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
GREAT possibility for Literati using just main tall trunk🤩. Airlayer off 3 other trunks. Be aware roots freeze easily. Lost 2 this way.
Thanks for that advice. Maybe just wrapping the pot in horticultural fleece would protect them? For £22.50 I’ve ended up with a few trees!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That is very unique and very impressive. I’m a bit tight on space I’m trying to keep most of my trees on the smaller size 😂
What is so unique about this species is the movement found that just is crazy. I have one as landscape. I'm just saying...one should study a tree a good while. Because once a branch removed. Its gone. No going back. This tree deserves time reflected before you go chopping.

This was editing your virtual. Removing the other area.
20210125_063555.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is so unique about this species us the movement found that just is crazy. I have one as landscape. I'm just saying...one should study a tree a good while. Because once a branch removed. Its gone. No going back. This tree deserves time reflected before you go chopping.

This was editing your virtual. Removing the other area.
View attachment 350800
It’s just got a quite a bit of swelling at the blue arrow so that’s where I was thinking of layering off, using the swelling to add to the size of the root spread of the eventual layered tree.

I was planning on reducing back quite hard and letting the new growth grow out all twisted creating a new dense canopy maybe something like the edit below.

Attachments

• 13CFC263-7615-498F-A91B-F391E7470AD1.jpeg
    13CFC263-7615-498F-A91B-F391E7470AD1.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 63
  • B6CC7A09-DBFF-4220-9BC2-D79F36449E4B.jpeg
    B6CC7A09-DBFF-4220-9BC2-D79F36449E4B.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 69

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It’s just got a quite a bit of swelling at the blue arrow so that’s where I was thinking of layering off, using the swelling to add to the size of the root spread of the eventual layered tree.

I was planning on reducing back quite hard and letting the new growth grow out all twisted creating a new dense canopy maybe something like the edit below.
Welcome to the species. It's a tree that breaks the rules. One can not conform it.

Owning one personally...not to be negative. They don't grow that way. Unless you intend to do grafts. It won't come to fruition. Study where the branches already come out. Just isn't going to happen. Its not it its makeup to toss branches where you want them.

A tree of this species is stronger on its own roots. Can fight diseases off more. Typically doesn't sucker straight pieces. A grafted one can be a nightmare in ones landscape. You chop it hard...you may find it suckers at the base as a mechanismof survival.

Your tree...end of the day...your bench.

Enjoy your journey.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to the species. It's a tree that breaks the rules. One can not conform it.

Owning one personally...not to be negative. They don't grow that way. Unless you intend to do grafts. It won't come to fruition. Study where the branches already come out. Just isn't going to happen. Its not it its makeup to toss branches where you want them.

A tree of this species is stronger on its own roots. Can fight diseases off more. Typically doesn't sucker straight pieces. A grafted one can be a nightmare in ones landscape. You chop it hard...you may find it suckers at the base as a mechanismof survival.

Your tree...end of the day...your bench.

Enjoy your journey.
I’ve still got plenty of time to decide but I like these two examples but just need to get the proportions correct. The only reason I’m looking to rebuild from quite low down is to try and lose some of those thicker branches and replace them with younger ones to make the tree seem bigger than it really is.

I’ll make a progression thread where I can post all the updates.

Thanks everyone!

This is just some inspiration below

Attachments

• 8C16E03D-F0BD-4E4F-9601-B2C1057D7E93.jpeg
    8C16E03D-F0BD-4E4F-9601-B2C1057D7E93.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 58
  • 7C64B735-3050-4D5A-96A5-644C00DF5BA3.jpeg
    7C64B735-3050-4D5A-96A5-644C00DF5BA3.jpeg
    310.5 KB · Views: 63

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They back bud fairly well. They will bud around a wound too, when you do major reductions, they will tend to bud around that wound. Don't need a node to bud from.
Apart from that, they act very much like a deciduous. Fairly hard wearing in my opinion. I have only one that's been styled properly and waiting for more growth this year, hoping it makes good strides, I think it'll flush out twice but will try for 3 times as I will heavily fert it.
I have a larger one in a big tub to work on + another slightly smaller, about the size of yours, to work on too. They were supposed to be the winter projects but I bought a house instead and been busy.

Remember to work it for their winter image. Their leaves are very large and can look nice in certain ways but not for the traditional "bonsai" artform. Winter image is where they shine, with catkins and without. So just think of that, is my advice.

Also my favorite example of this species is a UK one:

1612432883104.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
They back bud fairly well. They will bud around a wound too, when you do major reductions, they will tend to bud around that wound. Don't need a node to bud from.
Apart from that, they act very much like a deciduous. Fairly hard wearing in my opinion. I have only one that's been styled properly and waiting for more growth this year, hoping it makes good strides, I think it'll flush out twice but will try for 3 times as I will heavily fert it.
I have a larger one in a big tub to work on + another slightly smaller, about the size of yours, to work on too. They were supposed to be the winter projects but I bought a house instead and been busy.

Remember to work it for their winter image. Their leaves are very large and can look nice in certain ways but not for the traditional "bonsai" artform. Winter image is where they shine, with catkins and without. So just think of that, is my advice.

Also my favorite example of this species is a UK one:

View attachment 352569
From my experience with standard hazel’s no matter what you do they just grow back so glad to know this is also a warrior tree.

Have you got any pictures of your one that’s been styled? Would be nice to see more examples in different stages of development.

That tree is amazing I’d like to go for that but smaller.

Have you ever tried air layering a contorted hazel?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have tried yes, it failed.

Large one which I want to work on, basically done nothing to it and I've had it 3 years.

Most of the trunks died off for some reason after its first year. Potentially weevils in the soil, it was not looked at when I bought it. Still in that same tub and soil now. It was treated a while ago now but when i first got it, i didnt know to do that. Earlier on in my experience.

This is my styled one:

Went through some radical style which proved to be silly, then on to windswept, like it is now. Not an impressive tree at all but cool little project. Ill repot this Spring and sort the roots, maybe in future get a bit of radial nebari. Will put in to a bigger pot for 2 years to get some growth then it will have a structure to ramify and so will go in to a smaller pot. Your hazel has a much better nebari than mine, make sure you take advantage of it and help it a long.
There's another contorta but nothing going on with it yet. You can also see in that second thread, the response that the tree had, to the pruning.

I wouldn't have imagined this variety to be as strong as the normal Hazel, so I would say, don't think its as bullet proof. Get some experience with it first, as I am with mine. I'm far from an expert, very far!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have tried yes, it failed.

Large one which I want to work on, basically done nothing to it and I've had it 3 years.

Most of the trunks died off for some reason after its first year. Potentially weevils in the soil, it was not looked at when I bought it. Still in that same tub and soil now. It was treated a while ago now but when i first got it, i didnt know to do that. Earlier on in my experience.

This is my styled one:

Went through some radical style which proved to be silly, then on to windswept, like it is now. Not an impressive tree at all but cool little project. Ill repot this Spring and sort the roots, maybe in future get a bit of radial nebari. Will put in to a bigger pot for 2 years to get some growth then it will have a structure to ramify and so will go in to a smaller pot. Your hazel has a much better nebari than mine, make sure you take advantage of it and help it a long.
There's another contorta but nothing going on with it yet. You can also see in that second thread, the response that the tree had, to the pruning.

I wouldn't have imagined this variety to be as strong as the normal Hazel, so I would say, don't think its as bullet proof. Get some experience with it first, as I am with mine. I'm far from an expert, very far!
Yeah I’m just gonna get it into some better soil see what roots there are hidden away. Yeah the garden centre had lots to choose from was searching through in the snow checking the nebari 😂. I’ll stick with the repotting and go from there.

Top Bottom