Contorted quince for newbie

CarrieEB

Seed
Reaction score
I picked this up yesterday thinking it might be ideal to learn bonsai on. In original pot with ordinary potting soil. In WA, zone 8. How do I start? I know nothing.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hello and welcome, you'll probably want to search for some pictures of this species to figure out where you might want to go.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have a contorted quince. It flowers quite a bit and is a cool looking tree. Just make sure to cut the flowers off as soon as they are spent so it doesnt put energy into fruit (unless thats what you want) I found a cool reference sheet for them online let me see if I can find it.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Welcome from a fellow Wa (Yakima) BNut! If you put your location in your profile, it will help others give you more specific advice.
I started my first quince this year and it seems to be very good material to learn on (e.g very tolerant of mistakes and too much "love").

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welcome to the site. There are lots of great places for beginners to read about bonsai, and the Reddit wiki is probably one of the better ones. I’d recommend that you read the stuff here, especially the beginner’s walkthrough:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bonsai/wiki/index

If you have more questions after reading that, and you probably will, feel free to ask.

I’ll give one pro tip: First, focus on keeping your trees alive and healthy. Then after you have that down, then you can focus on “bonsai techniques” like wiring, repotting, chopping, defoliation, etc.

I hope that you find bonsai as enjoyable as we do.

Top Bottom