Contorted White Flowering Quince

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, Camera+ is at the app store. And, thank you very much, Gary for the good words.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Brian! If by chance you can get one opened with stamen and pistil intact I would love to see it.
I'm not really into stamens and pistils so I have to ask, why would you want a photo of them? Curiosity has got the best of me on this one.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You have a very nice tree Fred. You certainly have your own touch on the flowering species to make them beautiful and I love seeing them when you share, so thank you.

I have a contorted white quince and a toyo that have been in the ground growing for the last 3 years or so. I was debating digging them in the spring to either see if I think I can make something of them or to sell them off. I must admit I'm perplexed by how to style these as I really have only seen the clump style. I have to read the chapter in Peter Tea's book on them. I'm curious how you decide what direction to take them as from the little exposure I have to them, they don't lend themselves to a typical tree form. Also, how do they respond to heavy root pruning in your experiences?

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not really into stamens and pistils so I have to ask, why would you want a photo of them? Curiosity has got the best of me on this one.
Vin, I thought everyone was into a little quince sex :D I ran across a white chojubai that had no pistils and have been on a quest to see as many quince flowers as I can (ocd) Quince are monoecious so that is an oddity.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have a very nice tree Fred. You certainly have your own touch on the flowering species to make them beautiful and I love seeing them when you share, so thank you.

I have a contorted white quince and a toyo that have been in the ground growing for the last 3 years or so. I was debating digging them in the spring to either see if I think I can make something of them or to sell them off. I must admit I'm perplexed by how to style these as I really have only seen the clump style. I have to read the chapter in Peter Tea's book on them. I'm curious how you decide what direction to take them as from the little exposure I have to them, they don't lend themselves to a typical tree form. Also, how do they respond to heavy root pruning in your experiences?

The tree posted here is, depending on who's looking, either a single trunk or double trunk contorted white quince. With this particular tree, I let it grow for most of a season, and then made the decision to wire it so it would fold in on itself. Usually, I cut it back in early summer, and then let it grow until the fall, then cut it back again. I cut it to 1, 2 or 3 nodes, depending on design considerations. With this contorted quince, if I did that, I'd be cutting off everything that makes this little tree what it is, so I came up with the folding-it-back-on-itself idea. Now that I have a nice briar patch going, I will introduce another rhythm into the tree's growth, a little change of pace, but nothing drastic. So, in answer to your question directly, I let the tree tell me, on one hand, or I start with a bunch of cuttings to make a clump.

There are quite a few variations on the clump format. It's worth your while to look at some Kokofu books and other publications, like International Bonsai, which always (almost) has interesting quince pictures to look at.

Quince, according to the book, respond well to heavy root pruning, but I don't do it. The reason is that quince are susceptible to fungal issues. These can be devastating for the tree, so I like to have my quince as unstressed as possible. When I repot the quince, I take it out, check it over, and simply cut off roots that hang down. In the initial potting, I remove only what I have to. When I prune the branches, I seal the cuts. All of them. I use a couple different fungicides. With this regimen, my quince have really improved in health.

Thanks for your questions.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The almost open buds are the ones I like the best. I had no idea the flowers were so persistent on these trees, being the first year for blooming on mine. But my pink one still has many blooms, and it's been going for a long time. Nice pics.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have seen interesting color variations in the quince flowers, but nothing quite like this. A week or so ago, all the white flowers on the contorted white flowering quince turned pink, or pink and white. You can actually see some of this going on in the picture above. I did a little research and found that this color-change is due to the age of the blossom. Nothing really spectacular here, but interesting anyway.

ul pink and white flowers.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have seen interesting color variations in the quince flowers, but nothing quite like this. A week or so ago, all the white flowers on the contorted white flowering quince turned pink, or pink and white. You can actually see some of this going on in the picture above. I did a little research and found that this color-change is due to the age of the blossom. Nothing really spectacular here, but interesting anyway.

View attachment 102088

My white contorted did this, too this year.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is so cool that the blooms change to pink as they age. Wonder why this year but not past years? Some things are just mysteries...

Top Bottom