Contorted white flowering quince

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Purchased this a few years ago from Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks. It was my first or second year doing bonsai and I snagged up a bunch of different species of trees to grow out for when i had a better clue about bonsai. I bought it in a teeny tiny pot, maybe 2 3/4 inch and put it in the ground at the edge of my growing bed for a few years letting it do its thing.
It had a few flowers in past years, but I don't think i ever saw more than one as my daughter picked the buds off, to reserve it's strength I'm sure. I dug it out last season and was giving consideration of selling it over the last year. Call it lack of interest or maybe more a lack of a plan for it. But this year I am hopeful of being rewarded with a nice show.
Contorted1.JPG
Contorted2.JPG
contorted3.JPG

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're going to have a bunch of flowers, no doubt. Watch out for frosts and sudden changes of weather, and above all, be patient. Flowers open at their own speed.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You're going to have a bunch of flowers, no doubt. Watch out for frosts and sudden changes of weather, and above all, be patient. Flowers open at their own speed.

Thanks Fred, your trees were the inspiration behind my flowering species purchases. I admire your work very much.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This going to be a show. Long term plan, I think losing the big branch on the right will making much better. It is too balance for a concorted specie.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First one opened recently. Hopefully in the next few weeks enough will open so that I'm able to get a really nice photo of the entire tree. For now I have this one. Close ups really show how intricate a flower is and how special their beauty can be. I like the touch of pink.
IMG_0666.JPG

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you flowers eventually turn pink? One mine, the flowers start,out with a hint of pink, then get Pinker as they age.

I wish I could say I knew the answer to that, but when it was in the ground it didn't have much opportunity to flower. I remember seeing a few flowers on it but most buds were picked off by my daughter and any that did sneak through to actually open were ruined quickly by heavy rains. When i potted it up last year I can't recall if there were any buds and I picked them off, or if there were none at all.

I'll have an answer for you soon enough Mellow.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
NY, who's pot is that?

I like it!

Great show!

Sorce

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one from Brent also. It's interesting how the flower petals themselves are a bit contorted.

My quince went crazy this year. Really nice flower displays.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So very nice! Flowers and pot as well.
Why is that you keep all those suckers, if I may ask?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Why is that you keep all those suckers, if I may ask?

I was just never sure and am still not sure of what direction I want to take this one in. Leaving the suckers allows me the option of cutting the top back hard and trying to develop more of a clump style. It's funny that I've left this one to pretty much do it's own thing and I kind of like the wild look it has at the moment.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I understand what you say. I like the "tree" form best though. It has a good movement already, I think.

Top Bottom