Contorted white flowering quince

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was just never sure and am still not sure of what direction I want to take this one in. Leaving the suckers allows me the option of cutting the top back hard and trying to develop more of a clump style.

Though I agree that it is fun to just let quince "run" (particularly the contorted ones) the suckers are actually pulling strength from your main trunk. Clump style in quince always just looks like a shrub to me - because that is how quince shrubs grow.

Personal opinion, of course - since I have a big clumpy quince right now that I am waiting for the blooms to fall before I prune away all the suckers.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Two quick photos as buds are starting to form. No real changes this year other than a minor cutback. Don't think I will get quite the show I did last year, but there should still be some flowers. Although i know some pros advocate for fall repotting of quince, I did not get it done and will perform the much needed repot in spring. I would like to move it to something a little deeper and with a bright glaze. I will be tempted to cut back hard and remove any straight sections of trunk, but who knows what i will do. I tend to leave this one to do it's own thing.

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Getting closer to flower. Wishing I had repotted last fall. I may remove some of the right side, but I’ve been saying that for a while!
B6B03B37-C609-4730-8570-B2BDAC35B56F.jpeg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice display this time of year - my freakish Quince are still asleep, going to Full East/West sun in a few days as the night temps rise. Thank you for sharing :)

Grimmy

I have two in pots and while this one is done, the other hasn’t even opened a single bud yet, even with a repot.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice, how big do quince trunks get?

I can’t say for sure. This one won’t be getting much thicker though since it’s in a pot.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have two in pots and while this one is done, the other hasn’t even opened a single bud yet, even with a repot.

Mine potted are all totally dormant, I kept them out but in very low sun during the last four Nor Easters we had last month as the temperature went warm enough every week between each storm to completely melt everything. The buds/blooms/leaf will take longer now but at least they won't be damaged as the weather and sun exposure I give them levels out. Well, hopefully, but past experience tells me they will be ok, just slow this year :p

Nice, how big do quince trunks get?

That is a great question - I will measure some at the farm that are very old in ground when I can. Huge hedgerow but I suspect at he ground they will have small trunks as most shrubs do. They only local shrub here I have ever seen that has a quite heavy trunk, in ground, over a 50 - 100 year period is English Boxwood at the farm and English Yew. There are 50 year old Wisteria with 6 inch trunks but the other two have 8 - 10 inch trunks easily.

Grimmy

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
I will measure some at the farm that are very old in ground when I can. Huge hedgerow but I suspect at he ground they will have small trunks as most shrubs do.

That's what I was thinking. I've only ever seen a couple in person and the trunks were tiny but the branches made it look big. I was wondering what their growth potential actually is

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
Here's one I was admiring the other day at the Arboretum in DC.
A Chinese Quince.
Please zoom in in that tag and take note of it's age...."in training since 1875".

Different kind of quince though, from my research those are classed as true quinces "Pseudocydonia". I haven't read anything about them. I'm after the "Chaenomeles" info!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well I got tired of looking at this one the way that it was. So i chopped it and will see how I like it after some time getting it into a more clump shape. IMG_3201.jpg
IMG_3202.jpg

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well I got tired of looking at this one the way that it was. So i chopped it and will see how I like it after some time getting it into a more clump shape. View attachment 263296
View attachment 263297
They are very challenging to hang a good branch structure on. I've been working on this double red for a while. It's been with me since I started bonsai but hasn't thickened much! Good job their flowers are so lovely as compensation. 2018-02-10_07-15-11.jpg

Top Bottom