Converting a Christmas Tree to Bonsai

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My family has always cut live Christmas trees rather than erecting artificial trees. My parents sometimes find a root ball tree for their house, decorate it outside on the screened-in porch, and plant it in the ground in January. They now have a couple large, healthy Norway spruce trees in their yard. I was thinking that I could do something similar, but chop the trunk back to a new leader this spring and pot the tree as a bonsai. Has anyone else here tried that? Any words of caution? Photo for reference.

1605709383380.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy you Crazy!

My old neighbor wore a mask like that for Halloween!

There are some threads, even a contest I reckon, on converting x-mas trees!

That's a biggun!

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ryan Neil has a good video about it where he turns a stock christmas tree into a bonsai.

A word of caution: spruces here in Europe are usually container grown if they're meant for christmas, and their rootball will be curled up into some kind of mashed potato configuration. Terrible to work with. So check that soil before buying.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
spruces here in Europe are usually container grown if they're meant for christmas
lol,
We really need to swap locations as wee seem to frequent very different stores

Went out and visited a number of shops selling christmasjunk today. And.. did not find a single tree. All of them have been pulled out of the ground and pushed into a pot to sell over christmas. All of them having the warning that these are not grown to be planted in the garden and there is no guarantees on survival. Considering how most of them are standing in a sheet of dry needles gives me a good indication of survival chances of the bigger trees.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So in other words, carefully inspect the material before buying?
Yeah. on the one hand, a tree just pulled from the ground for christmas and tossed in a pot has all the problems a tractor-pulled stump has with regards to re-rooting. On the other hand, a tree grown ni a post has the challenges that come with pot-grown and up-potted container grown trees of nested birdsnest roots.

🤷‍♀️

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
My Deodar cedar began as a Christmas tree.

Top Bottom