Cool beach tree. Passing growth traits.

Planta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just wanted to share a pic of this beech tree that I often admire in my travels.

Am I correct to assume that air layering or taking cuttings from a specimen like this one would yield offspring with similar growth traits to the parent tree?

Do trees have distinct phenotypes to be aware of when selecting cuttings ect...?
So for example I want to air layer or root some cuttings from a birch this year but they are prone to die back.
I see some birch with no lower branches at all. But I've seen some that grow shorter and hold low branches nicley. I should select a mother tree with a predisposition that suits me right?
How much is genetic with trees and how much environmental?
Thanks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow that's an amazing tree!
Any idea how old it is? The roots are unreal.

I believe you are correct that air layering or taking cuttings
Would produce a tree with similar characteristics given that
Cuttings or air layers are identical genetically to the parent tree.
But environmental factors definitely play a role in the growth
Habit of a particular tree.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would like to know more about that.

I have no idea how old that tree is.
I dont quite remember much... But it was about growth habit. If you take a cutting from the apex, it tends to grow upwards (vertical). If you take one from the trees bottom branches, it tends to grow outwards more (horizontal).

Dont know if it is true though!

Reaction score
Thats a thing they say about taking cuttings of a taxus. Don't know if it counts in other plants. What if the seed of this beech was starting to grow in a forest? Would it look the same? Cuttings from beech is not the easy way to reproduce i think.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A seed may or may not produce the same growth as the parent tree, or may be different depending on if its self ferilized or with pollen from another tree. Also mutations cause diferences. Cuttings and layers are genetic copies of the parent tree. Or at least thats my understanding. An air layer will probably work best for a bonsai because its got a big head start over seeds. Or so I read on the web. Will a big branch root as a cutting?

Planta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Larger cuttings will most likely die. Ther is no roots to support all that live wood/ foliage. That's why cuttings are generally less then a pencil in thickness

Planta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So I went and looked at that tree again it's branches are overhanging the sidewalk so I grabbed myself a present with very nice genetics! I used both tips as cuttings. We are having an early spring so I hope it's not to early for them to root...
image.jpeg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dont quite remember much... But it was about growth habit. If you take a cutting from the apex, it tends to grow upwards (vertical). If you take one from the trees bottom branches, it tends to grow outwards more (horizontal).

Dont know if it is true though!

Observed Fir branch cutting grafted to rootstock and soon grew normal apical growth habit. Suspect this is same for most trees from observing fallen trees doing same thing with branches and new sprouts from trunk;). Phototropism normally same in any tree causing to reach for light even if must grow sideways to get there will still do so.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is a cool tree but I can't help think how much of a PITA it must be to mow around.

I think it's wrong time of year but I'm trying anyway...

I thought it was better to wait until the tree was in leaf before taking cuttings?

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
It's impossible to root beech cuttings. There are multiple scientific studies trying to figure out how to root them with teams of scientists and horticulturists working toward success. They all failed. Most cuttings won't root, and the few that do root die 100% through their first winter. There is no documented success.

If you like this tree try and collect seeds. Don't waste your time on cuttings.

Planta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wow. That's puts a damper on it then doesn't it. I bet the scientists don't know what they are doing ;).

Thanks grove keeper I'll look into what species can root that way.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Beech are slow and American Beech are not the easiest species to train as bonsai. You could find some private property and get permission to collect. Late March/early April may be a very good time to collect in your area.

There are European Beech seedlings or pre-bonsai offered in International Bonsai's catalog of plant material.

Top Bottom