Cool cypress and a rant

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I went walking on an old road on a ridge surrounded by swamp. I found this cool cypress that a tree had fallen on sometime back. It ended up with an interesting trunk line. I'd imagine it's way too big to make a bonsai.

Now, this road I walked down, I've been walking for 50 years. It's one of the few high places around and sees a fair bit of hunting activity from deer and squirrel hunters. It's always been a nice walk in low quarter boots at most. This last year, someone took a tractor back there after a rain and slushed up a third of the 3/4 mile length. Since then, ATV's have turned the road into a royal mess of thick water. I barely made it through with knee boots. Now, these "hunters" have to use an ATV to go sometimes 300 yards down this road to hunt, GRRRrrrrrr.

unnamed - 2021-10-29T154035.587.jpg
This shows what it's like in South Louisiana at close to sea level. This is a picture of the road with the swamp on the right and the "ridge" on the left with the leaf litter on the ground. From right to left it goes from sea level to 12" ( yes 12 INCHES) above sea level. That's right, what we consider high ground is often just 12" above sea level.

unnamed - 2021-10-29T154100.977.jpg

Top Bottom