Cool junipers in Utah

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just got back from a trip to Nevada, California, and Utah. Saw some pretty cool wild junipers. Including these guys which were right next to the ATV trail (in a National Park). Any idea on species?

20190228_160433.jpg20190228_160421.jpg20190228_160409.jpg20190228_160356.jpg20190228_160338.jpg

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
In my experience they both look really similar with all the shaggy bark kind of hanging down in strips. I was taught that Utah junipers usually have a single trunk but One-seed junipers usually grow in clumps. The One-seed usually has a lot of lower branches and you can’t see the trunk. When people have pointed them out to me, they look kind of spherical. If they have both flowers and cones on the same tree it’s a definite tell - that’s a Utah juniper. I didn’t see any on yours, but they looked more like single trunks so I’m guessing Utah.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In my experience they both look really similar with all the shaggy bark kind of hanging down in strips. I was taught that Utah junipers usually have a single trunk but One-seed junipers usually grow in clumps. The One-seed usually has a lot of lower branches and you can’t see the trunk. When people have pointed them out to me, they look kind of spherical. If they have both flowers and cones on the same tree it’s a definite tell - that’s a Utah juniper. I didn’t see any on yours, but they looked more like single trunks so I’m guessing Utah.
Yeah, the differences become more apparent as they age. The one-seeds become more clumpy. Again, looking at the distribution maps, these have to be Utah’s, as confirmed by @Housguy.

Top Bottom