Cool, Wild, Chinese Pot

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I just saw this crazy but cool pot for sale at a decent price. I don’t really have an appropriate tree for it, but hey, I can try and grow one.
I will probably go buy it Monday.
does anyone know anything about it?
Picture of the chop and inscription included .

Attachments

• B4716700-C88E-48F6-BF95-F1344E0963C4.jpeg
    B4716700-C88E-48F6-BF95-F1344E0963C4.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 17ACB46E-063D-41F7-8C79-B6BB308B2787.jpeg
    17ACB46E-063D-41F7-8C79-B6BB308B2787.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 77
  • E27A6CA5-F66F-4B4B-97F0-D7D1135FA0F2.jpeg
    E27A6CA5-F66F-4B4B-97F0-D7D1135FA0F2.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 68
  • EEBC414B-5E84-4B52-8889-C52A6B53CA78.jpeg
    EEBC414B-5E84-4B52-8889-C52A6B53CA78.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 78

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Dang. No pics of the other side.
the other side of bark like and textured, and no words.
It’s almost like two different pots, hmm, a Penjing with sides styled to go with either side of the pot might be an interesting challenge.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hmmm...sorry, but I do not like the pot. It's like a lot of bonsai pots on Facebook auctions anymore with skulls, torn sides, wild and crazy colors, and totally non-symmetric, untraditional pots. I just don't understand the huge breakaway from traditional. IMO, there are excellent, well built, colorful, traditional pots out there, and a lot of them, so why go this direction? To me we are promoting the tree in a pot of lesser importance and design. They eye should go to the tree, NOT the pot. Just my opinion folks and I don't think badly of anyone who chooses to use the non traditional pots. To each his own...

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yea, I’m not on Facebook so not familiar with what’s there.
It’s weird and wacky but cool in person.
The pics don’t do it justice. It is neat, but I didn’t snag it on first sight even though the price is good, mostly because I couldn’t think of what to put in it. Also, because it’s not like anything else I have. I don’t have a problem with an eye catching pot, if the tree in it is as well. As long as the pairing is pleasing I’m happy. My trees are not very developed or special, so are in pots that aren’t either. But I like some parts of the bench to be pleasant and entertaining to just look at.
I would probably do a semi cascade style penjing with something odd with a wild style maybe a mulberry or Brazilian pepper for some color, even a ficus.
dang, now I’m talking myself into buying it. Lol.
they did have cool trees to look at, and some inexpensive little Vietnamese pots with bubble blast glazes that will be nice for kusamono.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 59

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with @August44
I'm usually not crazy about pots with lots of weird things on them. I do own one that I like from Chuck Iker that has more design work on the sides, but nothing really weird.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No argument that it's not a bonsai pot. But a penjing pot, an interesting pot -- a relative of the Yixing teapots designed with gnarled branches as their handles & spouts -- a crazy-but-cool, hand-decorated and signed (vintage?) pot, at a decent price? Treat yourself! 😉

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well the good news is if you like it then buy it, not my taste but it’s not for me. I like the rugged and rough looking pots, but again that’s my taste. I like the perfect looking bonsai but I like the natural style trees like you would see in nature, the ones with scars and hollow holes. Everyone has their own choice, but for me I don’t live in Japan so I’m doing it the American way. I have never been one to follow rules anyway, so you think we will ever do Bonsai our way or keep following the Japan way?

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...plus, pots are like haircuts: we can always try them, and if we get tired of how they look, soon enough it's time for a re-pot anyway. If it isn't show time, then maybe "what happens on the bench stays on the bench," eh?

My guess is "lunar cycle" or some such, which would make it a moon-inspired pot?
🤔 Interesting!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, this kind of pot is not uncommon in Penjing. If you look through Chinese penjing albums they show up occasionally. They typically look like weathered logs and tree stumps. This one mimics a tree stump with fungi attached.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yep, the side I didn’t photograph had bark and more fungi.
it was actually that side that caught my eye, but this one had the chop and the writing so I snapped a picture of it.

Top Bottom